Notices

Old March 10th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: North Korea errors report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
I have done a bit of further research on this matter.
It appears that the north koreans may indeed have had some
SU-85Ms in service, albeit telling apart a SU-85M from a SU-100 in an old pic isn't a 100% thing.

If deemed worthwhile it could be included by adding a clone of unit 461 armed with weapon n. 90 85mm S-53 44, name change to SU-85M and increased ammo load to 48 rounds.
Given the original complaint was where SU-100's even on NK Soil before the mid 60's making a "clone" of unit 461 seems a bit of a stretch. I can see REpLACING that unit with a SU-85 but since the discussion ended when I asked hard questions we are still in the dark. I will change 461 to a su-85. You tell me "may indeed have had some SU-85Ms in service" shall we assume they were in service until the su-100 arrived

Don
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
name change to SU-85M and increased ammo load to 48 rounds.

Quote:
SU-85M - SU-85 with the casemate from the SU-100 tank destroyer, which was larger and could carry up to 60 rounds instead of 48. It also had the same commander's cupola as the one used in the T-34-85.
UNFORTUNATELY the quote is from Wikipedia and I am still looking for a corroborating source

Quote:
....... early production stage of SU-100 it was substantial shortage with the armor-piercing ammunition for the 100mm gun and thus mass production of the new tank-destroyer was delay. To prevent interruption of supply to the front it was decided to arm some completed units not with 100mm gun but with 85mm gun. Such units were designated as SU-85M and some 300 were produced until December 1944.

"Russian Battlefield" says 315 M's were made

Given those reason it makes sense why the M looks like a SU-100. The photo in the game of the Polish su-85m shows this all off

It would be nice to know if the ammo storage was greater on the M

Don
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

After recieving further information in a PM and further investigation of the photo Marcello on tanknet I belive what I am going to do is removed that unit from the game. Any evidence that su-100's existed in the NK army during the Korean war are far outweighed by the information that suggests otherwise.

Although the PM message writer points out the barrel length I have seen photos of su-85m from nearly the same angle that shows a barrel length similar but given that the condition of the photo is poor to begin with how long the barrel looks from that angle depends far more on the FL of the lens the photographer was using than anything else and I've lightened up the photo as well and DO NOT see "a box in the right hand side of the glacis plate" "That would indicate a 50s rebuild" and I've squeezed all the resolution and sharpeness out of that photo that is possible.

The bottom line is unit 461 in the NK OOB has been removed until definative proof is presented

Don