This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:18 PM

Private

nesrall is on a distinguished road
Default Strategies...Damage section?

In setting your strategies under the damage section...there is a box to check that says ..damage until all weapons are gone...I was assuming that overrides the percent of damage to a ship but I notice my ships keep firing until they totally disperse of the enemy ship, of course long after the enemy ship isn't firing back at them...Do I need to drop ship damage to 0 percent for my ships to quit firing at the enemy ship when his weapons are gone...or does checking that strategy box really have no effect & my ships will keep firing til the enemy ship has been defeated anyway...Any observations on this would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:07 PM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Strategies...Damage section?

And does it count as no-weapons if he has no supplies?
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:57 PM

Lieutenant General

oleg is on a distinguished road

Strange, it works fine for me. Ships fire on armed ships first. Do you see it in the real battle or in simulator ? I am sure strategies do not work properly in simulator for some reason.
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Private

I see it in the real combat replay in a PBW game...I have armour skipping weapons (crystal)& am fighting an organic race...well after my SC's mess up his entire inner ship...they continue to finish off his organic armour (which is obviously not a weapon)while his ships with weapons continue to fire on them...so I have to believe checking that box to "damage until weapons are gone"...doesn't do a damn thing...It might as well say...completely destroy ship from what I see.
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:21 PM

Major

primitive is on a distinguished road

IIRC the "fire until all weapons are gone" is only a priority thing. If there are no other available targets in range (or your ships don't have Multiplex tracking) its back to the old target.
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Private

I have realized at the start of each turn the ships all decide to...fire at 1 particular ship no matter what that turn & not choose another(unless they destroy that 1st ship)...but the assault on the 1st ship continued on into the next turn...& the initially damaged ship had no weapons left (or anything else but organic armour)...& there were other targets in range with weapons...this was a 5 on 5 battle so my 5 ships destroyed his 1st ships' insides leaving that 1 ship immobile & with no weapons...but then next turn when I figured they shoot at a different ship they didn't, they continued to destroy that 1st ship completely & then moved on to another ship finally
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Corporal

1FSTCAT is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that if you're setting this for the "Maximum Range" strategy, not only does the fleet have to have that strategy set, but the ship design does too, otherwise it will ignore it!

--Ed
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:58 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by primitive:
IIRC the "fire until all weapons are gone" is only a priority thing. If there are no other available targets in range (or your ships don't have Multiplex tracking) its back to the old target.
Correct (except I don't follow your multiplex comment). The "fire until all weapons are gone" option doesn't tell them not to fire at unarmed ships - that's controlled by the "don't fire on" choices.

PvK
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FSTCAT:
Keep in mind that if you're setting this for the "Maximum Range" strategy, not only does the fleet have to have that strategy set, but the ship design does too, otherwise it will ignore it!

--Ed
Only if the ships are breaking formation. If they stay in formation, the ships will follow the fleet strategy, regardless of their design strategies.

[ January 14, 2004, 19:00: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:04 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by nesrall:
I have realized at the start of each turn the ships all decide to...fire at 1 particular ship no matter what that turn & not choose another(unless they destroy that 1st ship)...
No they don't. Which turn it is has no effect, except on multiplex tracking, which allows more decisions. Each ship makes its own decisions (limited by multiplex tracking), but if all your ships use the same strategy, and that strategy gives the same answer about whom to fire on in the situation, then they will. Some strategies have their first target priority "Most Damaged" - so in this case, frequently everyone will continue to try to kill the first enemy that takes damage.

Quote:
but the assault on the 1st ship continued on into the next turn...& the initially damaged ship had no weapons left (or anything else but organic armour)...& there were other targets in range with weapons...this was a 5 on 5 battle so my 5 ships destroyed his 1st ships' insides leaving that 1 ship immobile & with no weapons...but then next turn when I figured they shoot at a different ship they didn't, they continued to destroy that 1st ship completely & then moved on to another ship finally
To get the behaviour you want, change the firing priorities so that something besides "Most Damaged" is first. I tend to recommend "Nearest", or "Has Weapons".

PvK