.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:35 PM

Corporal

ExplorerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Odd Adventures In Infinite Space v.002

Working on adding a new ship, the Talshkjen Gunship, but unfortunately I'm lacking graphics, so if it makes it into 003, it'll bear an uncanny resemblance to the Terran Scout.

Also fixed the proton beam, which I previously gave "nocollision" for testing purposes.
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Corporal

Added another ship, which I think y'all will like okay. It adds an extra depth to the game, I think. The only problem is that I realized, after I added it, that it's similar to a ship that exists in another mod... but I think it handles differently enough that it will still be pretty distinct.

Want to see if I can dream up some new weapons to include in the mod.
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM

Corporal

Working on some cool new stuff for 003, including some new music and such. Most importantly, I've devised an interesting change to an overpowered item that I think you will all appreciate.
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:20 PM

Corporal

chabex is on a distinguished road

Please don't stop! I am hungry for new stuff...
Overpowered item? You'll make it god almighty?
:-D
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Corporal

'sonly one God, who has all power... nothing I or anyone else can create could ever have the same power He does.

Anyhow, the idea is to make an overpowered item *less* overpowered; I'll give y'all a one-word, coded hint as to which item that is.

"Hmbtt".

Correctly tell me which item it is and there may be something in it for you, like a mention in the credits, or a special ship/planet/etc. name, or something, depending on how I feel. Note that you have to turn in your guess quick; I hope to release 003 very soon, and of course, once it's out, I can't put anything in it.
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:12 AM

Corporal

One more hint, since I've realized that the clue could pertain to a lot of different things:

The hint directly pertains to the item in question, and could be said to be synonymous with it.
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:06 AM

Corporal

This is a test of my banner uploading. If this works, 003 will be viable for release very soon. The file within, if it can be viewed, will show you what the 003 banner will look like.

And no, this is not a duplicate.
Attached Files
File Type: zip oddadventuresbanner.zip (26.6 KB, 440 views)
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Corporal

It's here.

What New Things This Mod Does:
If you haven't read the 001 or 002 read-mes yet, go ahead and do so now; for a newcomer, understanding what the mod has done in the past is just as or more important than knowing what's been newly added.

That said, this is as close to a maintenance release as I'd like to get. There are no or few ground-breaking changes here; mostly I've tried to further the changes I've done in the past, including the work on balance. In this case, I've tried to make tweaks to missile and beam balance, since it seemed very broken after doing more game testing. I think these changes are a step forward, but I suspect I went overkill on the beam power, and it is entirely possible it will take further revision to get things to where they're closer to being balanced.

In any case, here's what we have in the meantime:

• The impaler rack and fusion rocket launcher now fire smaller and less powerful missiles, at a much higher rate of speed.
• The fission torpedo launcher and the fission missile launcher have been drastically changed; they now fire swarms of missiles instead of one at a time.
• The multi-missile launcher has been tweaked.
• The Tchorak lava bomb now splits into pieces after it's been shot, making it harder to kill.
• The Aethric Mirror has been heavily nerfed, thus hopefully ending its six-years-plus reign of terror over all those who love balance and difficulty in their SAIS/WW games.
• Two new weapons have been added, the Molecular Disruptor and the Proton Torpedo.
• The Muktian armaments have been changed up a bit, to reincorporate weapons like the moly cone gun.
• New introduction music for all of the major races, taken right from SAIS. I realized, after listening to it, that some of the music -- such as the Tan Ru theme -- is awfully cheery, considering that these are your enemies. I changed the default WW music to only play for ally or mercenary ships, and the new (or rather old) themes are used for race first encounters.
• The mod's file size has been reduced to about 16% of its previous size -- making it slim and trim instead of horribly hefty. Most of it was taken up by normal music that I left in and didn't get around to throwing out before.
• The Hyperdrive now takes 540 days to recharge.

Fortunately, I didn't make much in the way of promises, so you don't have to hear about how your expectations were met or failed. I did drop a ship I mentioned as being in development; the Freighter, I decided, would not be conducive to building a good mod, at least not at this point in time. Likewise, I didn't have graphics for the Talshkjen gunship, so it isn't available in the game, although you can see the hull file I have in the files. Hopefully these developments won't disappoint you too badly.

---

It's something to look back at what's gone on over the past year, and to see how while so much has happened, so little has changed. I don't think I've become a better person, like I would have liked to, but hopefully I have at least been able to create a better, more interesting mod, for your enjoyment. If you can profit from my work, I will have achieved at least one thing of value.

Also always remember to live life to the fullest, because you may not have much of it left. God may return, or if He doesn't yet, something else could come up. Just tonight I was reminded of an acquaintance of mine, from another online community, who passed away several years ago… he was online and active just a month before that, and we never knew anything was wrong, and we never heard back from him either.

You may not have much time left. Accidents can happen, so make the most of what you have now.

And please leave a will with details as who all to contact… if you disappear, I don't want to wonder where you went, years down the line.

I want to say a lot more than this, but I don't have time. It's important to me to release this on the same minute that the first release was made, so.

Thanks to Christ Jesus, for everything, and thanks to all of you who helped along the way.

Now go download the mod!
Attached Files
File Type: zip oddadventuresv003.zip (1.55 MB, 851 views)
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:45 AM

Corporal

Default Re: Odd Adventures In Infinite Space v.003

Well, that's what I get for time zones.

It *is* to the minute...with two hours' difference!

Somehow I think I remember knowing this was going to be a problem, but I didn't take action, so that's what we have...an anniversary mod, released a year and *two hours* after.

Not nearly as dramatic, is it? Well, it's still all good; hopefully knowing I'm late again won't impede your enjoyment of the mod.
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Corporal

chabex is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Odd Adventures In Infinite Space v.003

Well.. For some reason on my config there is no sound for this mod... (W7 64b)