.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3 1v1 Ladder

We can all make suggestions but its going to get down to being that the method of the ladder is going to be up to whoever ends up doing it. And no matter what it is, some will feel that it doesnt reflect some method of play so they will be free to create another ladder. I think we will end up getting two or three ladders which everyone can use as general comparisons.

Actually, Im rather hoping it goes that way. Id rather have the "but I kicked you on xxxxx ladder" discussions than to have one supposedly "ultimate answer" on who is king. Things like that have killed games. I dont really think Dominions is susceptible to a single-ladder king strategist anyway. There are too many different types of games you can play.

By the way, the devs seem to like victory point games.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Corporal

Saarud is on a distinguished road

Just lets gather all the ideas. Perhaps we could have a vote on them after we discussed every detail?

We have so far 3 ideas of how to setup games.

1) Era chosen randomly, 2 nations chosen randomly, 2 games with each player playing both nations. ELO system determines the rating.
PROS: A skillful player can play whatever nation. Fair as both players play both nations.
CONS: You have to play nations you are not comfortable with.

2) One player chose which nations should be in and which settings should be applied. The other player chose first which nation to play.
PROS: Just one game per match. Fair as it is in the first players interest to chose fair nations under fair settings.
CONS: I think many players will always chose the same nations which wouldn't be a true testamente to their skill.

3) 2 nations is chosen by the players and played by each player in 2 games. The settings are also chosen by the players. ELO system to determine rating, with the base of 1 point for each turns you defeat your opponent before turnh 100. Games end in a draw at turn 100. Or 50 if people like that better.
PRO: Easier to setup games which might lead to mor epeople joining.
CONS: ???

Please add more ideas if you have any. More comments on those ideas that has been expressed so far.

Gandalf: You are ofcourse right! (As always) I will do this first and foremost because I think it's fun. I love statistics, ratings and stuff. I want all the people to think this is a fun way of measuring their 1v1 skill.
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I just thought Id forestall some later complaints, or guilt, by saying that we will agree and get a ladder. But its likely to be just one ladder out of other possible versions.

I have another version that I was considering doing myself. Keeping track of final scores on my site for games that I run where 1 player plays against an AI. It wouldnt allow for "I kicked your ..." bragging but thats a plus in my opinion. It would even up giving a general feel for who is and isnt challengable material if Doof ends up high on the ladder playing Ermor against every AI, and Goofus ends up high on the ladder playing Ulm. Depending on how much info I plan on storing it might also provide some insight into whch nations have more trouble vs specific other nations. Of course a human can always beat an AI but things like Ermor having an easier time vs Ulm and it does against Marignon.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Corporal

Saarud is on a distinguished road

I like your idea Gandalf. I will ofcourse make my contribution to such a ladder and play some games myself, if you get it up and running

This 1v1 idea is specifically based on the MP part of the game and in this case 1v1 challenges. With timne and results a ladder of any sort will provide with informations on which nation has an advantage on other nations as well as which player is really good at 1v1. 1v1 is special because you don't rely on diplomacy but instead only on the nations at hand.
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:40 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

This is a great idea Saaurd.
Old December 12th, 2006, 10:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

@Saruud
I think all the ideas have merit. Borsuk's method sounds the most fair, but the last method is good because it allows people to actually play the nation they want.

Since many duels tend to end up as rush games and use small maps, let me offer a variant idea: 2 players and 4 AI opponents. The AI is for facilitating a larger map and longer game. Victory must be complete; not just against the other player. One player chooses a nation. Then the second player chooses a nation. Finally, the first player chooses the map, AI opponents and settings.

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

I think there was a ladder for Doms 2. but it wasn't very successful. [I think it was hosted by that battlefield site?] Maybe this ladder will be more lucky to survive.

Just a little note.
Since the game is far from balanced, and it won't be balanced ever, balance mods or not [it is just impossible to balance all magic paths and units perfectly, they are too diverse], I suggest the following.
All 1v1 matches should have 2 rounds. For example: the players will decide that what nations would they like to see in the duel. Both of the players can suggest 1 nation. In our case Player A wants to see Mictlan in the duel, and Player B wants to see Vanheim in the duel. 1st round -> Play A: Mictlan, Player B: Vanheim, 2nd round -> Player A: Vanheim, Player B: Mictlan. This way the duels will be perfectly balanced, since the players wont have any national advantages.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."