.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 12th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Malazan Book of the Fallen

So, I go back and forth on my feelings for these books. I can never seem to stop reading them, so that is a definite plus. No matter how bogged down and lost I might feel, I always keep reading. More than anything, they seem to capture the epic fantasy essence similar to Dom 3 or vice versa.

At the same time, there are moments where I am reading and completely lost. I am on Reaper's Gale to date, and making some good progress. But I find Erikson's constant introduction of characters and vague descriptions somewhat tiresome.

Any other fans?
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:35 AM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Malazan Book of the Fallen

I like them and have read all up to Reaper's Gale, waiting for it to be sold in small paperback format

I agree in that I am mixed on them, and I tend to think the first couple were the best. I like the introduction of new characters, and recycling of old ones from previous books. You never know when a character will remain central or if it is about to vanish - I love lack of predictability.

That said, they do tend to ramble on a bit, and take a long time getting to the point. I can't really sense much direction, and there is rarely any tension or build-up. I never really care enough about any character like you do in books that you really enjoy

In summary, they are a fun read with a great epic fantasy feel, and are chunky so they while away many hours, but I wouldn't call them classics by any stretch.
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:06 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I've only read the first book and am waiting for the rest of them to make it to Israel.

I really liked to opening book though, I've read it nonstop during my vacation. It does have an eerie resemblance to dominions, I could almost believe to the author actually played dominions.
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:36 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

I think they're amongst the best fantasy out there...

Keeping a track of who everyone is, particularly when you read them as they come out and have 18-month-long gaps between each one is a bit of a struggle. Furthermore the pacing of the books can be weak, and the narrative structure shaky, so it's easier to get lost about what's going on than many.

I think they're generally good because the world Erikson and Ian Esslemont (who has only just started getting published) have created is extremely rich. I like them also for the sense that for all that's going on, the characters seem very small, flawed cogs in a huge machine, rather than the world-striding, magic-sword-wielding, square-jawed, dragon-slaying, dark-lord-vanquishing, naive, over-righteous pricks that normally populate fantasy.
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

I somehow never touched it. I will have to find and give it a try. But I will be really suprised if it tops my favourite fantasy - Chronicles of Amber.

LA Agartha guide
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Reverend Zombie is on a distinguished road

While it has its flaws, this series has been about the only fantasy I've read after many years away from the genre.

I started reading it based on a description in an earlier thread in this forum on what books dominions players liked.
When that they find nothing but waste...

Old June 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

I like them a lot. I'm not sure why, since there are things I don't like in the books. The inflation of power and increasing number of ascendants annoy me, but I like the epic feel of Karsa Orlong and others.

I also dislike fantasy dragons, including the dominions dragons . Dragons tend to be horribly unimaginative. Proud and noble!!! What a bunch of crap. THey are not even monsters enough to stay monsters. Instead every author (obviously including me) makes them human, just better, nobler and more beautifully winged than petty humans (or elves). To me, dragons symbolize everything that is bad fantasy. Ten times more then elves, dwarves and orcs.

Oops . Sorry.

Back on track: I'm strangely fond of the books and it is currently the only book series of which I anticipate new releases.
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

I enjoy MBotF most when I remember that Steven Erikson is a painter, and just enjoy the scenes he's painting (Gruntle as a rock in a tavern, Trull when Rhulad <cough, cough, cough>). That helps me see why the boring parts exist, and then the scope and excitement of the plotty parts gets me through the rest. Plus, I love the characters.

I read the first chapter of Return of the Crimson Guard recently. Looks like it will be a great book. Also looking forward to Toll the Hounds.

I think I enjoy the first Chronicles of Amber and Lord of Light about as much as Memories of Ice, but in a very different way.

-Max

P.S. IMHO, one of the major ideas behind the series is, "What if immortality was possible?" Not just the ascendants, but the ghosts and spirits and all these things that JUST DON'T DIE, from Kettle to Kuru Qan to Baeroth Gild to everybody in Hood's realm. What if everybody lived forever unless big magic destroyed them?

P.P.S. One of my favorite "scenes" is when the Bridgeburner remnants are pinned down by a K'ell Hunter in Coral and Tool breaks through the wall in style and annihilates the Hunter in two seconds. I can just imagine them boggling.

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM

First Lieutenant

sum1lost is on a distinguished road

If you like the small cog feel, Glen Cook did that pretty well in a number of his books, some more than others.
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:
...I also dislike fantasy dragons, including the dominions dragons . Dragons tend to be horribly unimaginative. Proud and noble!!! What a bunch of crap. THey are not even monsters enough to stay monsters. Instead every author (obviously including me) makes them human, just better, nobler and more beautifully winged than petty humans (or elves). To me, dragons symbolize everything that is bad fantasy. Ten times more then elves, dwarves and orcs. ...

Well in some conceptualizations, the purpose of taking a human form, is not some sort of utility (like better spellcasting), but rather so that they can more easily meddle in and manipulate the affairs of man. And depending on their moral alignment, they are either providing covert aid, or really just trying to mess with the silly little monkeys in between eating entire villages. I do like the view of dragons as semi-divine beings, similar to the Norse gods in temperament and power. But then, all of the pretenders in Dominions have that sort of flavor, to me. <3

But I haven't read these books, reminds me of all of my friends talking excitedly about Robert Jordan, back in the day..... They still like him, even the ones who still read the books, and admit that he has only one motive - to sell more books.