.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Coliseum

Old December 5th, 2003, 12:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

rabelais is on a distinguished road
Default Comments and questions....

Hi!

Interesting game. DM and AG junkies rejoice!

I went 18-2-2 (14-0-1 primary) with the new demo. I think the reason for the absurd success is that the "free warriors", and the ones who spawn in response to fight deaths have stats to compete with the "old demo" superheros. Might want to change that.

I think there should be some small chance of training your primary fighter. (perhaps akin to all areas on normal, with no master class--for free)Otherwise, I think in the full game I'd be likely to train my best fighters incessantly, and fight with the scrubs while depending on gambling for income....

Several questions:

1. what is "potential"? is it mirrored in intangibles, or entirely hidden? Is it just an attribute sum?

2. Does using magic incur any kind of danger/penalty/loss of warrior potential assuming you aren't caught?

3. Is there any benefit to winning (on a team level) other than financial? My manager stats didn't move a bit during the 18-2 year even with max advertising/training in the Last 15 bouts.

is maxing training most effective, assuming one has the cash?

Options to increase difficulty, and possibly to increase random events would be lovely.

I will preorder as soon as my new CC arrives.

Nice job!

regards,

Rabe
Old December 5th, 2003, 02:22 AM

Private

Trebor1503 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Comments and questions....

I really like a point that rabelais brought up... your primary fighter should be occasionally granted +1 or +2 stats when he is fighting. This would be realistic in line with the fact that a boxer who has fought 10 matchs would have a edge over a boxer who had entered the sport at the same time but had not fought any matches... experience is the best learning tool.
Old December 5th, 2003, 05:36 AM

Sergeant

StormcloudCreations is on a distinguished road

rebelais: Glad you're having fun with it! Your questions ->

>what is "potential"? is it mirrored in intangibles, or entirely hidden?

Potential is a hidden stat all to itself that measures how well a warrior may develop, given the proper environment and luck on your side. It can range from 8 or 10 all the way to 180 or 190 (on a 1-200 scale). Of course, not knowing this number makes the player have to use their own judgment when evaluating warriors. Things like injuries, illnesses and bad luck may keep them from developing to their full potential (similar to real life sports) as well.

>Does using magic incur any kind of danger/penalty/loss of warrior potential assuming you aren't caught?

Not really, but if you are caught (very rare), the fines can be huge. Also, spells can cost quite a bit of money and the more powerful ones usually have very random effectiveness and other costs, so they're not a sure thing.

>Is there any benefit to winning (on a team level) other than financial? My manager stats didn't move a bit during the 18-2 year even with max advertising/training in the Last 15 bouts.

I have added more chances for the manager stats to move up or down in the full Version. Winning can improve your repuatation occasionally as well, which in turn can make warriors generally easier to sign to contracts, while a heavy losing rep can make some warriors harder to sign (i.e. In baseball, players would rather play for the Brewers than the Yankees).

>is maxing training most effective, assuming one has the cash?

Sometimes, but not always. You'll have to watch your players to see if they're developing enough to warrant the cost, or you may end up throwing a lot of money away.

Also a note on your intended "use the scrubs while training your better warriors", this is a viable tactic in the game, but...a losing manager may have a little bit of a harder time resigning their warriors later on, so this might backfire on you a bit, and attendance may go down a bit (the people say, "oh, there's that rebelais and his bunch of loser fighters, why go see them today?", which may result in lower revenue overall in the long run. A word of warning.

Thank you for your intended pre-order, and I hope you have fun!
Old December 5th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Sergeant

Correction: That should read (i.e. In baseball, players would rather play for the YANKEES than the Brewers).
Old December 20th, 2003, 05:14 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

HEHE - I was thinking about how I really hadn't paid any attention to baseball in years, and that the Brewers must now be a crack team, and the Yankees no good these days.

I agree it'd be nice if actually fighting would have a good chance to increase skills, and either training were allowed while fighting, or fighting had a better chance than training. It might be good if fighters had different improvement rates from one or the other type of experience, so some fighters would learn better with teachers, while others would learn better from experience, and some might be good or bad at learning from both.

PvK
Old December 20th, 2003, 06:04 AM

Sergeant

Fighting having a small chance to increase skills will probably be a part of the update patch. Someone made a good point of experience being a good teacher as well as training.

But training will still be the generally more focused and effective way to increase stats, to maintain game balance and keep training important in the game structure.
Old December 21st, 2003, 03:40 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Sure. A good rationale for how it would make sense is that although actually fighting does (in the next patch) give good experience (and makes money rather than costs training fees), the fighter generally gets beat up a lot more seriously than those who are training safely, and has to spend a lot of time resting and healing.

PvK