Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road
Confused Unarmed close assault?

I recently was playing a battle, february 1991, USA assaults Iraq, after some turns, a platoon of abrams ran on my reserve company on my rear area, most of the squads were equipped with AKs, grenades, my heavy weapons got supressed by small arms fire, and i had to assault the M1 platoon since no rpg there, using my pinned infantry to button the tanks, one squado threw a grenade, non-penetrating hit, but mobility kill, by no pen grenade!, then i finished him off, gone for the second tank, assaulted him, with no weapon(it was written: Rifle Squad Assaulting M1... BUT no weapon was selected by the squad) and DESTROYED it, so how could they do this? Did they hopped over the tank, opened the turret and killed the man in there? is this a "bug"?

Last edited by iCaMpWiThAWP; December 4th, 2008 at 09:40 PM..
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unarmed close assault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
I recently was playing a battle, february 1991, USA assaults Iraq, after some turns, a platoon of abrams ran on my reserve company on my rear area, most of the squads were equipped with AKs, grenades, my heavy weapons got supressed by small arms fire, and i had to assault the M1 platoon since no rpg there, using my pinned infantry to button the tanks, one squado threw a grenade, non-penetrating hit, but mobility kill, by no pen grenade!, then i finished him off, gone for the second tank, assaulted him, with no weapon(it was written: Rifle Squad Assaulting M1... BUT no weapon was selected by the squad) and DESTROYED it, so how could they do this? Did they hopped over the tank, opened the turret and killed the man in there? is this a "bug"?
No bug. Any infantry unit can kill any tank by assaulting them, even crew counters can do this. Hatches can be pulled open and even pistol bullets pinging around inside is detrimental to the tank crew's health.

Hand grenades can detrack vehicles or penetrate thin tin.

If there are no special weapons, they use grenades usually. However units without a proper A/T weapon will often have a bad result and run away in tank panic based on morale, suppression and experience.

Assaulting troops use whatever weapon they want to, totally ignoring any switched "off" by the human player.

(You did the correct thing in suppressing the tanks before the assault, as being buttoned adversely affects the defending factors of the tank in a close assault. As does being disabled, damaged or in rout or worse status. Being open-topped is about the worst case scenario for an assaulted AFV)

Andy
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
No bug. Any infantry unit can kill any tank by assaulting them, even crew counters can do this. Hatches can be pulled open and even pistol bullets pinging around inside is detrimental to the tank crew's health.

Hand grenades can detrack vehicles or penetrate thin tin.

If there are no special weapons, they use grenades usually. However units without a proper A/T weapon will often have a bad result and run away in tank panic based on morale, suppression and experience.

Assaulting troops use whatever weapon they want to, totally ignoring any switched "off" by the human player.

(You did the correct thing in suppressing the tanks before the assault, as being buttoned adversely affects the defending factors of the tank in a close assault. As does being disabled, damaged or in rout or worse status. Being open-topped is about the worst case scenario for an assaulted AFV)

Andy
i learned to button/damage the enemy armor so i can assault them the hard way xD
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road

I've learned that in game its better to treat "kills" at all levels (with the possible exception of shot down aircraft, rotary and fixed wing) as simply rendering the unit combat ineffective. Infantry "killed" might not actually be dead, but be critical casualties, or any of a number of possibilities rendering them ineffective as members of their unit.

Vehicles and their crew can be though about in much the same way. The problem is that the "destroyed" counter in game for this shows the vehicle burning, when this might not necessarily have been the case. Assaulting infantry need not necessarily blow up a vehicle for it to be "killed" in the game sense.
Old December 6th, 2008, 09:06 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy96 View Post
I've learned that in game its better to treat "kills" at all levels (with the possible exception of shot down aircraft, rotary and fixed wing) as simply rendering the unit combat ineffective. Infantry "killed" might not actually be dead, but be critical casualties, or any of a number of possibilities rendering them ineffective as members of their unit.

Vehicles and their crew can be though about in much the same way. The problem is that the "destroyed" counter in game for this shows the vehicle burning, when this might not necessarily have been the case. Assaulting infantry need not necessarily blow up a vehicle for it to be "killed" in the game sense.
yea, they can open the doors kill the crew and take the vehicle , but the game doesnt lets you capture an enemy abandoned vehicle
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Private

Moon Pine is on a distinguished road

You reminded me - the abandoned vehicles`re also untargetable and invulnerable to artillery fire.
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:47 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Pine View Post
You reminded me - the abandoned vehicles`re also untargetable and invulnerable to artillery fire.
Abandoned units are merely battlefield decorations, unless the original crew mans them once again.

You can flame an abandoned enemy unit by leaving a unit in the same hex for a turn.

Those are the only 2 interactions the game allows with them.

You can tell an abandoned unit is no longer marked as an active piece if you have ID tags on. They don't have an ID tag.

Cheers
Andy
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM

First Lieutenant

too bad we cant "capture" abandoned vehicles, it would be great, especially on a para/glider insertion
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Corporal

Koh is on a distinguished road

Because I'm sure a regular infantry squad would be extremely proficient in using a modern main battle tank.
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh View Post
Because I'm sure a regular infantry squad would be extremely proficient in using a modern main battle tank.
ooops, forgot that, but what about apcs, soft skinned vehicles and guns?