World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 24th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Private

Paulinski is on a distinguished road
Default Game crashes with XP

Hey

I installed the game. I start a scenario play for a 1 min and get the winmtb.exe has encounterd a problem and it will be shut down. Game crashes into desktop. I have 1.6 true IBM with 16meg video card. It does that at any screen resolution and in either full or windowed mode. Should I set the exe to run in win 95 mode?
Any suggestions

Thanx
Old June 24th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Private

Vitez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game crashes with XP

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem like Paulinski. Reinstallation and even new download of the zip-file didn't help.
I'm using XP with SP2 on an Athlon64 3700+, 1GB RAM, two PCI-Express GeForce6800GT running in SLI-mode, SoundBlaster Audigy2ZS.

I love this series, played it since SteelPanthers1, waited long for this Windows version...
Please help

Many thanks
Old June 24th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Private

Hi Paulinski. I found out that in my case sound is the problem. BattleFX turned on and SoundFX off (both ingame in preference menue) is no problem. SoundFX causes a lag and slows the game a little bit, after a short time the game crashes to desktop. Now I'll search for some different drivers.
In my case switching to win95 mode only delayed the crash..

hope this helps
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Private

The Black Captain is on a distinguished road

I think I'm in the same boat. I have a generic Dell Pentium III runs about 800. I start a battle and get to the movement phase of the first move, and I crash to desktop. I will try turning off SoundFX. I'm running XP too.
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Private

forwarddeployed is on a distinguished road

In my case, the game has been crashing on two different machines running XP. . .

Machine 1: Athlon 2000XP, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, nVidia GeForce card w/ 64MB of memory, Sound Blaster Live. All of the absolutely latest drivers, etc.

Machine 2: 1.6 GHz Centrino (Dothan), 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD. Also have the latest drivers on this machine. . .

I tried installing and uninstalling Morgan Stream Switcher, as described in another thread. . . Tried the sound adjustments. Also tried redownloading the game and reinstalling. . . No luck so far. . . The crash in my case is related to a file called: ntdll.dll

It crashes when I am in the middle of dropping artillery and air support. . .

Any recommendations ??
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Private

The Black Captain is on a distinguished road

Vitek, your fix works! I turned off the SoundFx, and voila. It is a beaut of a game. Back to being overrun by the Chinese, and thanks a ton. Not that I don't miss the kabooms and rattle of musketry, but I'm sure someone will find a fix soon.
Old June 25th, 2005, 12:52 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Paulinski said:
Hey

I installed the game. I start a scenario play for a 1 min and get the winmtb.exe has encounterd a problem and it will be shut down. Game crashes into desktop. I have 1.6 true IBM with 16meg video card. It does that at any screen resolution and in either full or windowed mode. Should I set the exe to run in win 95 mode?
Any suggestions

Thanx
Sytem minimum requirement is a 32MB video card, so getting a 32MB card will help most likely.

Cheers
Andy
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Private

Andy, do you have an idea how to fix the SoundFX/Soundblaster problem..?
-I installed up to date drivers but the problem remains the same. Game runs stable only with SoundFX turned off.
Playing with sound will make this fantastic game even better! I hope there will be an soulution until the ordered CD version reaches my mailbox..

thanx for your efforts
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

FJ_MD is on a distinguished road

Try this tweak and give us feedback! Andy and Don will surely appreciate while triing to find a permanent solution to these compatability problem!

Old June 25th, 2005, 07:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Vitez said:
Andy, do you have an idea how to fix the SoundFX/Soundblaster problem..?
-I installed up to date drivers but the problem remains the same. Game runs stable only with SoundFX turned off.
Playing with sound will make this fantastic game even better! I hope there will be an soulution until the ordered CD version reaches my mailbox..

thanx for your efforts
Did you try the method outlined in the sticky re setting to w98/ME compatibility mode? (not just the shortcut, the programmes as well).

See if that works. Otherwise, you likely have either a CODEC of some sort that is causing a problem, or some other utility that is using/interfering with DirectShow. Perhaps an MP3 player, video application or similar?.

My XP box has no problems (even with no use of the compatibility mode) with a VIA AC 97 sound controller - I think that is aa simple one built-into the motherboard itself ?)

You could also try this out (I just did on my box).

right click on my computer, hardware evice manager, open up audio codecs. n the properties section youll get a list of your installed audio codecs.

I turned ALL to "do not use this codec" except the fraunhoffer MPG3 codec.

I then tested by double clicking on an MP3 file inthe \game data\sounds folder, and that workrd OK in the media player, with all codecs off bar thefrauenhofer one.

I then played a test scenario, and sound all worked as expected.

If that procedure makes the sound work for you, you coul dthen start re-enabling the sound codecs on the list as and until the problem reappears. In which case - whatever audio codec you last turned back on was the problem.

(the Frauenhoffer Mpeg layer 3 encoder is the default Microsoft installed MP3 codec)

Cheers
Andy