.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 10th, 2007, 12:48 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why no Save game Feature

Quote:
Newthought said:
The whole "cheating" things do not apply if I pay them money. If I am a consumer, and I request a sensible feature I should be granted it, otherwise I'll won't buy D4.

Being a consumer and paying money doesn't entitle you to any sensible feature you want. Nevertheless, even though Johan is notorious for his dislike of UI programming, it's reasonable to assume that if you offer enough money he may decide that coding that damn feature worth not having to work anymore

Btw, as other mentioned there're save games in Dom3. It's just fancy GUI to reload the game that is missing.
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Actually Johan is like many people (believe it or not) and isnt doing it for the money. So it would probably take a LOT of money to get him to do it if he feels that it isnt the best thing for the game to have.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:25 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Newthought said:
More Importantly, do I really have to argue for Save Games?
The original purpose of saved games was to continue playing for another day... not as a way to cheat when losing. Going back in time and changing history is cheating and unfair. Having saved games would bring the cheating temptation to all SP gamers. If you want to cheat then you can manually copy the save game files.
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:06 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

A save game feature would be very nice. The hardcore can do what they like, as they always will. Further, the hard core are the best placed to make mods or use command lines to make saves, as they tend to have the time to devote to it. Sure, we could still build cars that you have to go outside to crank start, but most people like being able to start the car from the inside. I could go outside the game to save, but I would really prefer to do it from inside.

I would request the hardcore to remember that not everyone agrees with them and to be polite to those who have different opinions. I do not intend to “sack up” just because you play differently than I do. Instead I will voice my opinions in a polite fashion.
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:30 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Saxon said:
I could go outside the game to save, but I would really prefer to do it from inside.

You don't need to go outside of the game to save. You need to go outside of the game to *reload*.
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:36 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Actually Johan is like many people (believe it or not) and isnt doing it for the money. So it would probably take a LOT of money to get him to do it if he feels that it isnt the best thing for the game to have.
I'm not sure that's the real reason. My guess would be is that it's just too much effort for little gain. There're many other areas in the game where the equal effort would make much better improvement.

And most people who don't work for money still can be hired to do something they don't particularly like doing for a very big money (as long as the job doesn't last too long). It's surprising how much time can be recovered back by offloading various chores
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:59 AM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Saxon said:
A Bloo Bloo Blah Bloo
That is the sound someone makes when they are trying to talk while also crying so hard.

maybe the feature can be added to the wish spell, so that when someone wishes for some cheat that isn't implemented in the game, they'll get their way.

(P.S. I am just ribbing, try and read it in a gutteral voice like someone trying to be hard core.)

(P.P.S. Jokes!)

(P.P.P.S. Stop crying and sack up.)
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:09 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

It bugged me at first, I admit, but when I was a kid I didn't like asparagus. Now I'm older, and if you steam it for just a minute or two, drizzle olive oil over it, add lemon and crushed garlic, freshly grated Parmezan cheese, and just a little white pepper, it's really quite good.

Sack up.
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:12 AM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

I too was a little like "wha.... huh?" when I first realized there was no save/load.

In the end the when you remove the crutch, you develop better players. Don't be afraid of losing from time to time. this isn't tic tac toe.
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Private

FaceLess is on a distinguished road

I don't have that much problems with the no save feature since backing up the game files is pretty easy (with longer turns you even do that during the processing of the turn) but if a save option is a cheat, why not have a restart game option. If things go wrong I like to restart the game with same settings regarding opponents, pretender etc. Are there any command lines I can use to do that?

Sort of related, when I choose save and quit, it sometimes does sometimes does not remember the orders I already gave to some of the commanders. Is there something that determines that behaviour?