This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old August 11th, 2007, 09:00 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road
Default A Fleet of One

I just had an unexpected result in a PBW game. I was trying to temporarily override a couple individual ships' Default Strategy by putting each ship in a fleet by itself. When these ships entered combat, they followed the fleet strategy for the first round, then reverted to their original ship strategy. (This was particularly obvious because the fleet was set to not fire on planets, but the individual ships did anyway.) This behavior seems to contradict the FAQ:
Quote:
2.10.2 Ships do retain original strategies after being retrofitted or captured - you can overcome this by making a 1-ship fleet and giving it new fleet orders.
(BTW, these were my own designs, not captured ships.)

Has anybody else run into this? There's a note later in the FAQ saying that the changelog for an upcoming patch implied changes to the way strategy worked, but there's no further mention of what (or when) the change was.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old August 11th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Fleet of One

If the fleet's strategy is set to break formation, the ships revert back to their individual strategies. If the fleet's strategy is set to Don't Get Hurt, that particular strategy happens to be hardcoded to break formation after one combat turn regardless of your formation settings.
Old August 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

Right. The only way to get a ship to retain a fleet strategy differing from its own, is to make sure it doesn't "break formation".

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
douglas said: If the fleet's strategy is set to Don't Get Hurt, that particular strategy happens to be hardcoded to break formation after one combat turn regardless of your formation settings.
Thanks, I didn't know that. These one-ship fleets were using a custom strategy I made up called "Blockade", but I think the first movement priority was "Don't Get Hurt".

That hardcode makes it rather tedious to set up an effective blockade strategy.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure a strategy set to not fire on planets would work as long as Don't Get Hurt isn't involved. If no valid targets for the strategy are present, however, and the ship happens to wander into (or start in) weapon platform range of the planet it'll just randomly meander about at 1 square per combat turn in random directions while the planet shoots at it until its weapons are gone and the hardcoded "Don't Get Hurt unless ramming" provision for unarmed ships comes into play.