This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:43 AM

Corporal

Sardia is on a distinguished road
Default Population Migration

I like having multiple races under my control so that each planet is undomed. How far do races migrate and what does +migration% do exactly? What about foreign and enemy races, can they migrate to my planets?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:42 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Population Migration

I find it rather complicated. As you know you can get other races to migrate via treaties and they will head for your planets with their atmosphere, however your people who don't breathe that atmosphere (likely because they colonised it beforehand) won't leave. In one game I was quite prepared to let them be removed, as I RP. If they were robots or a hive mind I just space the excess, however with emotional races I try to plan their removal. It's damn hard. You need a ship big enough to take all of them, and it tends to remove pop and fill the ship while leaving their children still doming the planet. In frustration I decided RP can go far enough and I started spacing the excess.

When you have a treaty of migration it does not just cover the ally race but all the pop they have. If they are also accepting migrants from your enemy those pop can be diverted to you.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM

Private

MisterBenn is on a distinguished road

As mentioned above, races migrate only towards planets with atmospheres they can breathe, which makes sense. From what I've seen though, the migration mechanic doesn't especially prioritise moving a second race away so that the first can remain to undome the planet, which means it can take an age for the undoming to come about once a breathing races arrives, unless you intervene. I think an official patch should update this, so that people flood away from such a domed colony to take full advantage.

If a planet has two races and you need to get rid of one to undome, your options are:

1) Wait for migration to take place as above.
2) Population transport. Still quite timely, if the planet is at full domed capacity you will have between 100M and 2B people to transport away (Balance Mod 1.12). Also it will cost you maintenance and these transports can be shot down or hijacked!
3) Eject the non-breathing population into space. (Ctrl-K) There's no gameplay mechanic to punish you for doing so, it's up to your conscience (or your empire's).
4) If you are playing the Balance Mod, you can enable the "Colony - Population" minister to automate step 3 whenever it's required. Once a second, potentially undomed race arrives on a planet, the minister scraps the other population immediately. This is what the AI uses, regardless of Empire personality type. Since as the game stands the "honourable" methods of undoming are not very competitive, I typically use this option.

Option 4 does have its advantages, it means that if for example you have access to 3 races of different atmosphere types, you don't need to worry about which population to load onto Colony Ships. Just load whichever is nearest / most abundant, and colonise as normal. The next turn, they are scrapped and the correct race has begun migrating there. The stream of MILLIONS of migrants a turn towards this new planet (assuming you have a race that wants that atmosphere type) vastly outweighs the benefit of making colony ships that travel far to collect the correct population, or have huge storage capacity, or even have higher tech cargo bays, and negates the potential bonus of using population transports to move people around afterwards.
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Corporal

Thanks for your thoughts. I've always gone with option 1 and 2 with a little of 3 on the side. How do I activate the population minister?

Oh, what is more important, colonizing a planet with the correct race, or jumpt starting a planet with the max population of whatever is nearby? I've always send my colonizers( really just medium and large size transports) empty and then use my spare colonizers to transfer out or in the correct air breathers.
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:45 AM

Corporal

Siirenias is on a distinguished road

Actually, I don't find it very hard just to collect full pop transports, and unload them on your next new colony. Even easy to RP, if you write in the "accommodations and amenities for a stellar habitat".
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

It sounds to me like the core problem is the fact that population beyond the first 1M people is worthless.

Adjusting the growth rates and pop modifiers can fix that right up.
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:56 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:
It sounds to me like the core problem is the fact that population beyond the first 1M people is worthless.

Adjusting the growth rates and pop modifiers can fix that right up.
I prefer to define that as "worth less" than the facilty and population space gained.
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

If you're ejecting people into space, the population capacity can't be worth much either.
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

It turns out any population is worth "scrapping".

1M pop = 1 Kt Organics gained.

this delights me no end. I momentarily considered the benefits of developing Organic recycling camps for captured pop but it's not worth it. You don't get enough organics.
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

The problem here is that it is in the player's best interest to undome planets as soon as possible, but I've never seen the migration routine ever move the last non-breathers off a planet; certainly not in the first turn after correct-breathing popluation is on the planet. Since undoming a planet is so important to game success in opening up more facility and cargo space, the player is forced to:

- move them with transports for in-game role playing or game moral reasons - extremely slow and tedious

- manually scrap them - tedious at best

- use BM minister - which I haven't used yet so I'm not sure if a log message is given to let you know that you can now build more facilities on these planets. If a log message is given, that would be great. If not, this would again be tedious due to having to figure out which planets have open facility slots and not building facilities, then address their construction queues.

The best answer would be a change to the game where planets would undome on the next turn after receiving correct breathers by having the migration routine move the incorrect breathers elsewhere - AND a log entry to inform the player of this so he can take action. There is no good reason that I can think of to have non-breathers on a planet; it only has negative consequences. I have been bugging MM for this but you know how it goes, or doesn't.