This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old February 20th, 2008, 01:51 AM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Multiverse Mod

Yes the invisible ship happened quite a bit in the SF stock game too. I haven't had it happen yet in the Multiverse 2. I used to hate when that happened with the SF enemy ships and I couldn't see anything then a ship just opens fire on me. But I later just pretended they had a "cloaked" ship. They still show up on my radar though.

I have seen this "invisible ship" more often when I am modding and place 2 identical type ships sequentialy in the map file. If I place a different ship in between the same 2 ships in the map file then it seems to happen less. Really don't know why though.

One suggestion I have is to make the starbases have more ambient light to see them better. Just open LithUnwrap and double click on the materials and click on the diffuse box to change to white color and the ambient color box change from black to a dark grey color and overwrite the xfile.

I am getting ready for a climatic big battle I am guessing it is near the end. I would say Multiverse 2 is easier than Multiverse 1. Multiverse 1 was doable by me with no cheats. It was really hard in some parts though. Multiverse 2 is just right as far as difficulty. However I still have a big battle and maybe more left so we will see if that holds true.
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

Excellent work Campeador. I started to play the Multiverse 2 campaign and it is really fun. Thank you very much this new adventure.
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Q said:
Excellent work Campeador. I started to play the Multiverse 2 campaign and it is really fun. Thank you very much this new adventure.
Yes I second that!!! Excellent work Campeador!! I just finished Multiverse 2. This mod is just awesome: the battles, the storyline, everything! Your storyline/characters development, creative ships and weapons , and battles bring SF to a whole new level. I am impressed. Thanks again for providing the Mods. I can't wait for Multiverse 3. The suspense is there. Excellent job, Campeador!!! [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon09.gif[/img] (trophy is for best SF mods ever and exceeds the stock game too)
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Campeador said:
"After three tries, I figured it wasn't supposed to be possible, so I left when I was told to after getting blasted by all the fighters at the warp point..."

Wrong! It was very possible to do the scan.
After having reached the "kill it" mission, it is clear what was supposed to happen.

However originally, Admiral whats-his-face was talking about not being a hero and rushing off to do foolish things.
I'd purchased more PDCs to help against the fighters, but;
1) the fighters were respawning
2) the station wasn't on the system map
3) the order pops up about there being too many enemies and to get out of there
I figured this was the kind of thing he was talking about, so I followed the order and left
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM

Corporal

Campeador is on a distinguished road

SJ you are not the only one who interpret the orders that way so that tells me that things were not clear enough. So on the next update I will try to go over the orders and make them so that players do not get confused. So, keep it up and let me know as you guys find any other orders that need clarification and I will have it fix.

ps: Multiverse 3 will be out hopefuly in a couple of weeks.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM

Private

enrico7113 is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody
honestly I bought the game only to play star blazers mod because it is the only PC game around to play star blazers
well the mod was wonderful !!!
I liked so much to play a game based on my favourite cartoon serie
then I played the standard 3 campaigns then ... what a surprise !!! multiverse mods where you can fly and fight with star trek and star wars universes wow !!!
I think it is just my opinion that multiverse mods are better than the original game
graphics are better
races are different in their technology
while in the original there were no real differences since every race could get same things (shields engines sensors... )
in the multiverse every race has a unique flavour
what I liked so much is the guns icon for triple mount turrets of yamato and others it makes things look even more real
ok that is all for now ...
Campeador made a wonderful job !!!
thanks a lot !!!
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:33 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

I've run into a problem in campaign 2. When I try to return to Eternus as ordered, I get an event when entering the Octopus system, but this event doesn't work. It screws up the system and I can't get the game to do anything. When I Alt-tab out and come back it becomes possible to recover, sort of. The message for the event plays, but then the hidden ship never appears no matter how long I sit around and wait for it. When I finally quit the game, the is a message about an "access violation". So something in this event doesn't work properly.

Oh, and the sheer volume of fighters and weapons effects flying around in the Star Wars part of the campaign really overloads my computer. Yeah, it's an older computer. You might think about how to reduce the load there. As cool as it looks, it's just too much going on. I had to turn off the sound to get a reasonable degree of performance. Another thing that seemed to help was speeding up the weapons bit-maps effects. Since they spent less time being drawn, there was less over-all load.
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:08 AM

Corporal

Baron, I was scratching my head on that one, but at the second try I was able to recreate the bug. You are the first person to report this occurrence, which normally does not happen.
This is what happens:
1. From the Epsilon system you are told to return to Eternus.
2. Before reaching Eternus an event happens in Octopus.
3. In Octopus you are to help one of the ships from Earth (a Hood BC) that is being attack by an unknown ship.
4. There are actually two events in progress: Help the Hood cruiser and destroy the enemy ship.

Now the bug problem:
The ships on the event are to appear kind of late, 5 to 7 ticks into the mission (due to radar interference). They will show up by the "Tentacle" planet next to the Octopus warp point.
The error occurs when the enemy ships materializes, either it hit the planet or another ship. If this happens somehow the game does not register what just happen even thought it should declare the mission a fail or completed.
Even more, since two things could happen, either the Hood destroys the enemy ship or the enemy ship destroys the Hood. Either way the third event will start when either one of the ships is destroyed. But just in case there was also a timer on the mission in the case that the Hood and company can hold the enemy long enough, and declared the mission completed.
Therefore by the enemy ship being destroyed due to collision the AI does not compute the mission properly between its own parameters, and then due to the timer it creates a second error. I do not know why it does that. If the ship is destroyed it should simply declared either success or failure instead of an error. I have checked and recheck and the only conclusion I come up with is that it happens too soon before the AI is able to time the event or something like that.

The fix: once again by the laws of provability all you have to do is redo the scenario which is activated the instant you enter Octopus. The enemy ship should not hit the planet or any other ship; instead they should start fighting each other as they encounter. So if you saved the game just before entering Octopus you are ok.

On my part on the next update I will have the enemy ship materialize by the Warp Point instead than around the planet. This should minimize the collision occurrence.
Still I am not sure if it was my bug, since the AI of the game should have stop the mission timer and declared the mission completed or failed without creating an error. Either way is a learning experience that I will try to remember as I continue with the series.

ps: If this is not exactly what happens then let me know.
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:10 AM

Corporal

Ah yes the second part of your post. I have played the game in four computers. My laptop (HP Pavilion zv6000 2G ram, AMD Athlon 64, 2000Mz) tends to overheat and freezes from time to time on this game only (well it is the only game I have played in the last 3 years). Other than that nothing, no slow down or anything, just that the fans are at full blast and eventually overheats... annoying. It's ram was 512, I increased to 2G, still behaves the same.
My regular desktop pc, another Athlon xp 2167mz 1G of ram. It runs fine until recently. It started to have very erratic video problems especially during this game until it died. I think that is the motherboard so I just order a replacement one for $35. I hope that this fix it.
My brother’s pc, a Pentium 4 3000Mz, 1G of ram. On his there are some slow downs and the mouse gets erratic... This cannot be the game? Maybe he has conflicting software or maybe he needs drivers since his pc behaves worst than some of the other slower pc's...
On the four pc another Pentium 4 3000Mz 1G of ram it runs fine. All this four pc's are average pc and they were my ruler as how many ships to put on the screen.

I can tolerate some slow downs but so far nothing that have prevented me from enjoying the game. But yes if I would have experience the problems you have I would have put less ships on the screen. I do not know why so many other games far more complex like Homeworld for example runs so fine with no problems... To think that I would have liked to have more ships instead of less...

I could decrease the graphics by speeding up the weapons effects, or having fewer ships, or decreasing something, but that will be unfair for the people that the game runs fine.
At least you know the work around to make it work. You can also play the game at 16 colors instead of 32 colors. Now that I think about it there is the setup were the "Sight distance", "Stellar Detail" and "Background Detail" can be set to medium or low (by the way on the 4 computers I mention before all was set to high).

If more players are having this problem please let me know.
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

I finished campaign 2 without any problems and for me it is just excellent. I like the huge battles and my PC (Athlon 64 3400+ 512 MB RAM, NIVIDIA GeForce FX 5500) had no problems with it.
Your campaign shows what possibilities Starfury has.
Just one question concerning the music: where should I place the folder exactly and under which name?
If I place it in the campaign folder under the name "music" I don't hear your specific music, just the Starfury standard one.