This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old August 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Announcement Re: Editing

One of the users came up with a good idea for compromise on the editing issue which was to allow only first posts of a thread to be forever edited. This would allow all of these issues stated before to no longer be a problem:

* When the game parameters have been decided on.

* When the map isn't decided in advance.

* When pretenders get submitted.

* When somebody becomes dead or AI.

* When someone subs for a nation.

* When the game's over.

*When a mod or map needs to be edited

*To maintain a faq

Richard worked for hours last night to hard code these changes into vbulletin's software and they are now in place and have been tested. Please let me know if you are a thread starter and still don't see the edit button on your first post.

This still leaves us in a vulnerable position to those who would get mad and delete valuable community content so anyone caught deleting valuable content (such as maps, mods, faqs, etc) to spite the community will be automatically banned.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.

Last edited by Mindi; August 14th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Additional issues added to the list as 'fixed'
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mindi For This Useful Post:
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Announcement Re: Editing

First I'd like to thank pplz for working hard so we can now edit first posts.

Second I'd like to make request on this topic. For Dominions 3 (only forum where I hang out) it's indeed nice to change posts especialy to update our mod nations to newer versions.
While I was trying to do this I noticed that I could edit the message (which is great) but I'm not allowed to edit the attachment.. which is not so great since that is usually the whole point of mod threads.

If this could also be changed to the same functionality as how it was before it would be great.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I'll have Richard look into this......attachments are probably handled differently is my first thought and he will have to track that down in the code.

Did it allow you to add another attachment? That would be a possible work around until we can figure it out if it does.

Old August 14th, 2008, 03:53 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

I'd like to suggest that if it's possible to achieve this, attachments should be able to always get updated. Attachments shouldn't be much of a concern like the editing rights.
Emergency comic relief
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Lieutenant General

When I press the "manage attachments" button it shows this:

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 30 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

So there is no work around yet.

Another request on the same topic:

While you get to edit a "title" when editing the first post this isn't really the thread title but some sort of sub-title only shown in the thread.

It would be nice if the edit title line would let us actually edit the title to reflect for example the version of the mod in the title that is seen on the forum (and let me edit the old title of my mod thread which doesn't cover the content anymore)

PS: compliments on the very fast reactions in this thread and the fast reaction in getting the option to edit first posts again.
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
When I press the "manage attachments" button it shows this:

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 30 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

So there is no work around yet.

Another request on the same topic:

While you get to edit a "title" when editing the first post this isn't really the thread title but some sort of sub-title only shown in the thread.

It would be nice if the edit title line would let us actually edit the title to reflect for example the version of the mod in the title that is seen on the forum (and let me edit the old title of my mod thread which doesn't cover the content anymore)

PS: compliments on the very fast reactions in this thread and the fast reaction in getting the option to edit first posts again.
Got the attachment thing as far as I can tell by a quick scan that is the only other occurance of the timelimit check code but let me know if you find something else.

As far as the title that is very deeply imbedded into the code of vb and would require a fairly extensive re-write to resolve. So I doubt that's something we can do unless there's a mod out there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

WOO HOO!!! I have a purpose in life again!!!

Ok, that sounds kinda pathetic, but whatever.

Now for my own request: Is there any way that the first post we're able to edit could be extended to a maximum of 15,000, instead of 10,000 characters? I realize that's a third again as long as other postings, but if they're the only ones we're allowed to edit, in a lot of cases we're going to eventually need that extra space.

Since the alternative is starting atleast two posts, I think it would be a wise tradeoff. I don't mind doing 2 instead of one, but for sake of board-cleanliness, it might be for the best.

Edit: Actually, in all honesty, my longest posted threads are already over the 15,000 character mark (the longest recent one is nearly 18,000), so I'll probably have to start another thread for each, even if the limit is raised. I still think it's probably a good idea to allow the first post extra room, though, and I'd even be willing to truncate the ones I do have, to fit that limit, as long as I had plenty of time and notice to save the ones I want to save.

Sorry for any extra work this might entail. I do very much appreciate what you've done already!

Last edited by HoneyBadger; August 14th, 2008 at 08:34 PM..
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Nah, that's an easy one. I've raised the global maximum characters per post to 25,000.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mindi For This Useful Post:
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I love you, Mindi! I love you and Richard both-forever and ever!
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Lieutenant General

Sorry to be back again, especially since my last problem was changed in a few hours but I have a new problem now:

Dominions 3000 - Galaxy at war - Galactic Ulm - v0.30.zip:
Your file of 4.91 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 97.7 KB for this filetype.

Dominions 3 mods, especially new maps frequently range from 2-5 (sometimes probably higher)

I don't know if there is a specific reason the limit is this small but I at least never heard complaints of to large files being uploaded before. If possible could you maybe increase the limit for zip files about...50-100 x to 5-10 mb? (yes I know sounds a bit much but it's really what the dom 3 community uses and I doubt it will be abused.)

PS I also think the size of image files should be a bit larger to let us show mini's of our maps (which aren't large but probably a bit larger than 19.5 K.)

thanks in advance