.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 6th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Corporal

KroolDeath is on a distinguished road
Default OT: What other games are people playing??

Hey all,

While Dom2 is on the top of my list forgames that I play (and I'll add the newb title to this since it must take forever to master), I was kind of wondering what other games people are playing in these forums.

I, myself, while I prefer strategy, also engage in quite a bit of FPS. Used to RPG, but its been years since I messed with that.

All that being said, here is my current game list:

- Dominions II
- Medieval: Total War
- Planetside (MMOGFPS)
- Battlefield: Vietnam
- Doom3

Having a wife and kids here (and thus limited time although even as we speak my wife is playing GameCube), Dom2 has proved itself to be very exciting and convenient because the built in "PBEM" factor and the fact that there are others with like mind who enjoy this type of game style. I used to play PBM with two-week turnaround times so this is all the better.

Krool
Old September 6th, 2004, 07:40 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: What other games are people playing??

Hmm. 90% Dom2 and Diablo 2; a little Anacreon and Angbands.

I keep meaning to get back to an RPG - Diablo sates my appetite for meaningless, mindless slaughter and accumulation of treasures (Hardcore only, so the treasures actually mean something), and Dom2 my crafty, strategic powermongering side, which rates right up there with such legends as Bobcat Goldthwaite.

I keep looking at what new has come out, looking for a new fix (hard to get back into the older ones I've had a few years - not that they're not great games, but starting over from scratch from reinstalling or trying to remember what the heck I was doing in some of the larger console games isn't fun).
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im spending alot of time playing Space Empires IV. Its another game here at Shrapnelgames.com which Im enjoying for alot of the same reasons as Dom2. Its PbEM, large play, room to develop your own strategy/tactics, great for solo and multiplayer, and Im sure it will take me 10 times as long to get tired of it as it would take for any other game of equal price.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Corporal

Lex is on a distinguished road

Dom2 (very addictive)
Freelancer (very addictive, but I still can't take the thought of having to start over when playing with the Online community (it takes at least 30-40 hours of semi-monotonous work to get to decent level), so I might stop playing it, plus I'm spending too much time with Dom2 to really commit to another community)
Minesweeper/Hexic/Bejeweled on MSN Messenger (best distraction from real work)
and Farcry is sitting next to my monitor reminding me that the minute I have 20 hours free, I should install it
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:54 PM

Corporal

DeathDaemon is on a distinguished road

Doom3 - good scary stuff (but then again gotta love the nice video card and 5.1 surround sound)

Planetside - MMOFPS but with a community - I'm in SMF outfit on west coast. FPS are kinda boring - I've done the whole Counterstrike type games, but a MM game with 200+ guys attacking a base is a neat feeling.

Moonbase Commander - fun turn based strategy thats different than your typical RTS

Railroad Tycoon 3 - good economic game with nifty graphics and gotta love trains... little buggy and difficult though
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM

Corporal

KroolDeath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Planetside - MMOFPS but with a community - I'm in SMF outfit on west coast. FPS are kinda boring - I've done the whole Counterstrike type games, but a MM game with 200+ guys attacking a base is a neat feeling.
SMF has been around for awhile, well met. I'm with TRG, proud member of the Terran Republic. Been there since beta, but I've taken my breaks here and there. Heck, we've probably fought each other.

Yea, my mixture of enjoying both FPS and TBS is an odd sort...FPS for pure action and intensity, TBS for the thinking, and intensity.

Krool
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:40 PM

Private

Curwen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:

Im spending alot of time playing Space Empires IV. Its another game here at Shrapnelgames.com which Im enjoying for alot of the same reasons as Dom2. Its PbEM, large play, room to develop your own strategy/tactics, great for solo and multiplayer, and Im sure it will take me 10 times as long to get tired of it as it would take for any other game of equal price.
I still have Space Empires on my hard drive. It's just such an incredible game for all the reasons that you mentioned! It also has such a great ability to be modded easily like Dom2.
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:44 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

I'm currently playing:

Dominions II
Space Empires IV Gold
Blades of Avernum
Dungeon Crawl

PvK
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:13 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Dominions II
Morrowind
Spider Web Software Games
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:08 AM

Captain

Aku is on a distinguished road

Planetside(can't wait for the mechs to come out this month)

I have been playing Planetside since exclusive beta. I like how its a MMO game but since its FPS it is based upon your own player skill not the skill of your character. I hate how all the MMORPG's are all about who can make the game a full time job to level up the fastest. But Planetside is a lot of fun it is basically just a FPS on a persistant world with infantry, land vehicles, and aircraft. Oh its a sci-fi theme so not for the realistic fps lovers.

Counter Strike Source

I find it fun. I just dislike the fact that the aiming is horrible in the game because the bullets are only kind of accurate if you are standing still. Maybe thats how guns are in real life but its sad to see bullets not hit where your reticule is even when you are testing against a wall lol.

I tried the open beta for Tribes Vengeance the other day. Its just ok. Basically you just jump jet around and ski on downslopes and there really aren't any accurate guns.