.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 21st, 2008, 01:08 PM

Private

paganize is on a distinguished road
Default a \"patton goes East\" idea.

I'll write this up better later, but here is the concept for the campaign, and some other things, that I have in mind.

Karl Dönitz was not a dummy. He was aware of General Wolff's attempts to negotiate a separate peace with the western allies, which would allow the German forces in Italy to withdraw and reform to fight the Russians. He organized 3 groups of Naval infantry to proceed, as covertly as possible, to Saxony. 2 groups to the south of Torgau, and one group to the north.

Upon the death by Suicide of Adolph Hitler (and, to his surprise, his appointment as President of Germany), he sent the order to execute to the groups.

The group north of Torgau, in captured U.S. Unforms and using Allied equipment, and formed out as an Infantry company, infiltrated a flank position to a real U.S. unit. at a predetermined time, the imitation allied unit started a Mortar Barrage of the Soviet 58th guards division across the river, and began the process of crossing the river.

At the same time, another unit, this time dressed in captured Soviet uniforms, and using some of the many captured T-34 tanks available, began a probing attack on the southern flank of the U.S. 69th infantry division..

the third group started shelling both American & Soviet positions with 10.5cm artillery.

Almost immediately the plan succeeded; the American forces in contact with the "Russian" unit reported a Soviet attack; the northern U.S. forces flanking the fake U.S. unit confirmed that it appeared the Russians were attacking. The U.S. HQ, which was being shelled, drew the obvious conclusion and called for artillery support to suppress a Soviet attack across the divisions entire front.

On the other side of the river, the Soviets were at first surprised by the Mortar shelling, then angered when the Artillery started to rain in from across the river. Scouts on the river reported U.S. infantry units readying small craft to cross; they called for Artillery support to stop an attack by the American infantry Division to the west.

The German units withdrew, leaving behind one burning T-34 with a freshly killed soviet tank crew inside.

As much as Donitz may have wished, the situation did not escalate; the American and Soviet forces continued shelling the others positions for almost 12 hours, however.

What did happen is that this incident tipped the balance of negotiations in Italy; On May 1st, 1945, General Wolff managed to sign a separate peace with the Western Allies. Infuriated, Stalin ordered a general attack across the Elbe on May 2nd.

The western allies negotiated a separate peace and the immediate stop of hostilities between all German & Allied forces on May 2nd, 1945, with discussion of penalties and reparations to proceed in the future.

A Formal state of War was declared between the Allies and the comintern on May 5th, 1945.

What do you think?

I'm going to do up a SPWW2 campaign for it. and then, probably, a Hearts of Iron: II Doomsday mod.
As I'm not not quite certain how attachments work here, I'll plan on posting the scenario and eventually campaign files on www.modthegames.com/dnn for the time being. nothing is ready, yet. give me a day.
I'd really appreciate feedback, and possibly assistance.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: a \"patton goes East\" idea.

Good campaigns are always a welcome additions to this game.
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:56 AM

Corporal

Brummbar is on a distinguished road

Sound's like a great idea.

"One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic."
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:44 AM

Corporal

Shan is on a distinguished road

Sounds interesting. I've tried similar hypothetical WW3-follows-WW2- battles a couple of times, both in SPMBT and SPWW2. Always interesting - but WW2 is better, as you got guards units amongst the Soviets. But even then, I suggest to give them an experience bonus - after almost 4 years of hard eastern-front combat, they are not the rookies as in the OOBs.
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road

From historical point of view Soviets suffered considerable loss of infantry quality to the end of the war. Same effect as for German - veterans mostly get killed. That was compensated by experience accumulated in mid-high level of command chain. Tanks and aviation were suffering less it seems.