Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old January 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Minor German OOB error

The service dates do differ.

Probably something that could have been covered by an a/b combined model as they are identical in game terms. However now they are in the database, deleting one or other would need a complete check of all existing scenarios to see if one or the other is used, as the removal of the thing may bork these.

About the only thing I could think of doing to these (if anything), is to make the B model an X0 radio code (common) and leave the A model with an X1 (less common) radio code.

Cheers
Andy
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

My mistake. I saw "StuGIIIA and 'B" and read "StuG IIIG" then couldn't find anything wrong with the "G"s

This addition goes back years. I went back to a copy of DOS vers 5.6 from 2002 and it was there as well and I'm betting it goes back further than that.

There is a "StuG IIIa" and a "StuG IIIb" because, in reality, there were "StuG IIIa"s and "StuG IIIb"s and for all game purposes they ARE identical . This is, I am nearly 100% sure, the result of someone in the past wanting to add more "realism" for "completness" to the OOB.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
PatG said:
OOB 16 Germany Formation 561 Capt A/Cars uses Munitions LKW as the template unit giving munitions carriers rather than armoured cars.
Now fixed. There were three captured A/C's lurking in UC 106 used by one of the OrPo formations and they now have a new UC and reside in that Capt A/Cars formation.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:50 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

Just my couple pfennings worth…………………

I amended all StuG’s years ago, and do so every version of the game I've had.

Early StuG's carried a MG34 as soon as it became apparent they needed them. These were not a mounted so I've using a LMG in the second weapons slot for Ausf A-E.

The Ausf F-G had a mount for a shielded MG I know this has been added as a AAMG, but my belief is a MMG is more realistic. So all my F-G models have a MMG. I give the Late Ausf G’s a MG42 MMG.

As for a BMG or CMG I've heard of these too, but I've never seen them in any picture, so I've excluded them when they do appear. This of course is IMHO. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grenade.gif[/img]

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:03 AM

Corporal

Shan is on a distinguished road

PanzerBob,

the thing with using an MMG (or a BMG - we take it as a shielded MG but use the BMG: fires only over the frontal arc and cannot be buttoned up by suppression) instead sounds reasonable. I'll have a look at the stats in comparison with the AAMG version and might adopt your model. I know that the shielded MG could also be mounted on top of the shield to function as an AAMG but they are very ineffective in this role the game so that can be sacrificed. ON the other hand, AAMGs in this game have a much-to-high precision against ground targets IMHO, they also take advantage of the FC and (in MBT) Vision ratings of the vehicle they're mounted on, which is real nonsense in most cases, so replacing them with MMGs is a bit unnecessary anyways.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Corporal

blitzkreig is on a distinguished road

Stug Ausf A & B

Just for interest sake thought I'd post the differenace bewtween the two

Ausf A:

60 produced, produced and delivered from april to September 1940 including 30 on the Ausf B chasis whith the old Maybarch SRG 32 * 45 transmission whcih were desinated Auf A

Ausf B:

Mass porduced from July 1940 - March 1941 with 250 being made.

"This new version of the Sturmgeschutz used a SSG 77 Trasnmisson and new steering gear. Its tracks were wider and the suspension components changed accordingly. The return rollers which had been evenly spaced on previous models, were now unevenly spaced"

from "Standard catalog of German Military Vehicles" by David Doyle 2005. In game terms the only diffeneces were the service dates.

No stug ever mounted a bow machine gum by the way!

"Boot 'em, don't spatter 'em!" - Heinz Guderian

Ian

Old June 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

Shan

Have not changed any for V 3.0 yet, I do agree that the AAMG is much too effective to simulate a LMG. If AAMG are confirmed as being able to only fire unbuttoned then I may develop an AAMG just to simulate the loose one carried in StuG's and StuH's.

Not for PBEM of course.

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Private

CharlesM is on a distinguished road

The MG on the StuG II Ausf. G fired throuh the mantlet, and I have photos of vehicles with these fitted into the Saukopfblende (sow's head mantlet). Off-hand I cannot remember whether the modification was ever made on the composite mantlets made from flat plates. I'll check. It was Bob McNamara who spotted this feature from photos he had of StuG III Gs.
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Private

TreadHead is on a distinguished road

Yes, a block-style mantlet was produced with a coaxial MG for the mid-production StuG III Ausf G and was introduced in June '44. And a Saukopfblend with coaxial MG was introduced in Oct '44 on the late production vehicles. There is a more lengthy discussion on this in the thread "Stug AAMG's???".

Ross
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Private

CharlesM is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I did some checking. Photos of the Saukopf-mounted MG are easy enough to come by; those used in the composite mantlet less so; the one posted on the AAMG discussion is one of the few I've seen. In the Opsrey on the later StuG III and IV, Tom Jentz states that the co-ax only began to be fitted into the Saukopfblende in the Spring of 1944.