World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old February 19th, 2012, 08:19 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RE Swedish OOB

Unit 417 MLRS Mine Sec...

...umm, this unit should probably be deleted. There was interest in purchasing the MLRS or a similar type weapon in the late 90s, but with the demise of the so called 'invasion defence' this never happened.

AFAIK Sweden has never had the capability to deploy mines by artillery or air.
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

you mean perhaps unit 473 ???

"Unit 417" has been blank forever.

Don
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
you mean perhaps unit 473 ???

"Unit 417" has been blank forever.

Don
Yes, my mistake.
Unit 473 it is.
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:32 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: RE Swedish OOB

This seems the best place to ask the following of our friends in Northern Europe while I work on some other issues in the MBT world for my last inputs for the next patch.
1. I see the STRV 122b is not in the game, and I need to verify the following...
A. I believe added armor was applied around the sides as well as the deck/floor for added RPG/IED protection. I'm thinking Oct. 2001 was when it entered service. However dates for it seem to vary from 2001-2005. Can you verify the side armor info and dates it entered service.

2. STRV 122 EVO. I know tests began in the Summer of 2010. But then the tests/news dropped significantly. Then last fall several websites/refs started reporting on it again. So...
A. Did SWEDEN buy the EVO add on armor, and
B. Is JAN. 2013 a good start date?

Thank You!

Regards,
Pat
"Working for a better equipped world all around the globe!"
Old February 9th, 2013, 08:04 AM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road

For #1:

Seems to be after 2002. Hope this helps.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...p/t-64891.html

Quote:
During the years of 1997 to 2002, Leopard 2(S) MBTs, called Strv 122 in Sweden, were being delivered to the Swedish Armed Forces. The originally German tank is one of the world's most powerful war machines but after carrying out a few tests, FMV found the tank was lacking in some areas when it came to protection.

- "It's a further development of the Strv 122's protection against mines," says Henrik Hej. "With this new protection kit the tank will become substantially safer for the crew to operate in."
Some more info:

http://www.w54.biz/archive/index.php/t-357.html

Quote:
The Swedish MBT122 has already been recognized as one of the best-protected main battle tanks in the world. In a recent study program of the tank for the Swedish Defence Material Administration (FMV) in Sweden, IBD Deisenroth Engineering succeeded in the development of a further improved protection dedicated to the tank. The concept is thereby designed to protect against the actual and future threats in theatre, especially in asymmetric and urban warfare.

IBD's focus in this development was the optimization of the protection against the actual threats in theatre: new variants of RPGs, IEDs and EFPs as well as keeping high protection against “conventional threats”. A new light weight and highly efficient SLAT armour was designed as an amendment of the protection concept. The effectiveness of the new solutions has been verified against all threats in a broad test campaign. Thanks to all these efforts the concept provides an outstanding 360 degree protection of the crew.

The completely modular design of the concept allows the use of any mixture of old and new protection modules. This solution is of great advantage in theatre with regard to maintenance and repairs.

Despite the improved overall protection level of the MBT 122B Evolution the weight increase of about 350 kg is only minimal such maintaining the high mobility of the tank. Also the width of the vehicle could be kept to exactly 4.0 m which is also an important factor for the use in urban environment.

The new protection concept is the latest variant of similar high level protection solutions (defined as Evolution Concepts) from IBD for different platforms that have been developed, where the kits based on the platform Leopard 2 A4 Evolution have already been supplied to customers.
Can't find anything regarding Sweden purchasing EVO though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mustang For This Useful Post:
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanks but, I have that info already as well. Unfortunately that's why I'm stuck on something I'd hoped would be pretty straight forward. Not wasting time on this as I have solid info on the other issues I'm trying to address. The normal guys here have local access where I don't. You'll find the equipment world the "world wide web" isn't always so world wide after all.
1. Again the 11 STRV-122b are converted STRV-122 tanks with heavier belly armor and supposedly side armor protection against RPGs. The STRV-122b was designed for ops in Afghanistan in a joint venture with Germany and later the Dutch which applied this to the LEOs they deployed there as well. I just need a good service entry date here.

2. EVO is an add on modular protection kit. Game wise as in real life think (Or see.) German LEO 2A7+ or Turkish LEO-2T. I just need to know [b]for sure[b] if Sweden bought it. Looks like they did but "looks like they did/or they have it" has bitten us in the past around here. Below shows a STRV-122 and CV-9020 with EVO installed during trails last year.
http://www.doppeladler.com/forum/vie...t=2371&p=24311
http://www.defpro.com/news/details/35969/

Not the ref I was seeking but the first does show the STRV-122b with what appears to be the EVO package.
Have to get ready for work!!!!

Regards,
Pat
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:38 PM

Lieutenant General

Looked at the clock wrong so I have a few minutes before getting ready.
1. That should read in the previous post as CV-9040 vice 9020.
2. I believe with the next ref I was seeking posted below and the German site (Ref. 1 OF LAST POST.) the Swedes did buy the EVO package in a photo comparison of the two and others. So that puts EVO back to at least to 2007/2008.
3. From what I can find the STRV-122b is still a separate issue from some refs as the STRV-122b EVO being an "all-in-one" item. From what I can tell the EVO package is a separate and later addition. I might have to PM a couple of folks from this thread later after the main items I noted are addressed first on the list.
http://www.armyrecognition.com/june_...d_0706121.html

Regards,
Pat
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:52 PM

BANNED USER

Sorry I couldn't find any more. Even the manufacturer website is no help.
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:55 AM

BANNED USER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnUMTI07_cY

7:50

Sweden is still considering installing AMAP as of 2011.

http://www.tanknutdave.com/component/content/article/63

In a recent study program (late 2010) of the tank for the Swedish Defence Material Administration (FMV) in Sweden, IBD Deisenroth Engineering succeeded in the development of a further improved protection dedicated to the tank. The concept is thereby designed to protect against the actual and future threats in theatre, especially in asymmetric and urban warfare. Despite the improved overall protection level of the MBT122 Evolution, the weight increase of about 350 kg is only minimal such maintaining the high mobility of the tank. IBD Deisenroth Engineering announced on 30.05.2012 that the MBT122 protection studies are still ongoing.
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:43 PM

BANNED USER

I can't imagine EVO being anything other than an upgrade of the existing tank. I doubt they're going to buy an entire fleet of new model Leopard 2A6/7 equivalents just for an armor package. But yes, you always have to make sure.

Sorry if this is annoying but I found something that might be useful.

http://forum.soldf.com/topic/11317-leopard-3/page-2

Swedish military forum. No mention of the Strv 122B before 2004.

Google translate:

STRV 122B used by GU Bat P4 2004-2005
It was not so popular due to the turret bustle, but clearly the car I'd like to sit in if you drive on a mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mustang For This Useful Post: