.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is wrong with the AI?

Quote:
Wikd Thots said:
NO I do not want to hear that mp is the answer.
MP is the answer. Hahahahha!!! Seriously tho, if you are looking for a real challenge, it is.

But your idea is not without merit. The key to producing a Competitive AI Nation tho would be a solid understanding of how the AI chooses units to recruit. If JK or KO could give us insight into this, it would not be terribly difficult to construct a nation in such a way that the AI recruits reasonably.
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:20 PM

BANNED USER

Wikd Thots is on a distinguished road

Hey! It isn't ME saying that I know exactly what the AI is doing wrong. Some people here get very specific on what units the AI should stop using. So I am asking why THOSE people can't put their expertise into a mod for us. It isn't a put up or shut up thing. I just don't want to put one together and then hear from those people about all of the things I did wrong with it.

And for the same reason I do not really feel like jumping from stupid AI directly into mp.

Is independents such a horrible mistake for the AI? I would rather just play on a smaller map than play without the independents.
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Wikd, if you can get the information compiled on the AI and how it reacts to situations, it's recruiting habits and so forth, I will help guide you through making the mod.

As far as the leap from AI to MP goes, take it. It gives you a new out look on the game. It teaches you what spells are really valuable and it helps you develop a better late game strategy (Although I still suck at this part, too much micromanagement QQ).

You will find that 99% of the time, no one is going to be critical of your performance in MP. It's a lot different than counterstrike. Besides, it is just a game.
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Corporal

Actuarian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wikd Thots said:
Now that I have you here I have a question. All of you people who jump into these threads because you know everything that is wrong with the AI.

What happened to the AI mods? Why aren't there any improved AI mods? Make a mod for the Kikass Nation. If the AI uses ****ty infantry then don't give it that infantry. If it uses ****ty pretenders then don't give it those pretenders. Or set the god and the scales and the everything so that the AI can not make stupid mistakes. I am not interested in new nations for ME to play. At least not yet. I do not want mods that add a balanced nation. I want one that is WAY unbalanced. But in ways that the AI will make use of. To hear some of you people all it would take is to trim some units and pretenders from Ulm to give us a challenge somewhere between now and mp.
NO I do not want to hear that mp is the answer.
The problem is not that the AI is too stupid, it's that you're too smart. I suggest taking some mind altering drugs that temporarally lower your intelligence. That should level the playing field.

Either that or mp, because it sounds like you want an AI that thinks like a human.

Seriously, I've only played a few multi-player games, but that is by far the best way to learn the game's complexities, and I haven't been made to feel humiliated yet.
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

Manuk is on a distinguished road

Is there a better challenge than MP?
And if you play by TCPIP or Mail You can play your turns whenever you want. Since this is not an online game.
Personally I get convinced if some spell or unit is good when it works against me. That´s the ultimate testimony.
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:54 PM

BANNED USER

Wikd Thots is on a distinguished road

What part of "NO I do not want to hear that mp is the answer" do you people not understand? I HAVE played MP! I know what it is good for. And I plan to play it much more.

But I want to experiment with tactics and things without quitting an mp game as soon as I figure out that it was a bust. Or hear from the experts here "why did you do that"? I've seen some of the comments here and I don't care to play with some people until I have had a chance to experiment some more. The only alternative seems to be to listen to the trashers and do whatever they say is best.

And as far as "why not do it yourself" that seems to be taking the direction that I myself thought it would be NICER for ME not to say. I tried to avoid the direction of "if it is so easy and if you know the answers then shut up and fix it". Some people here seem quick to trash the game AND seem to have the ability to do mods. Since I am not trashing the game then I don't think that I am the one who needs to do the mod.
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

Well, your initial post was quite... ambiguous as to your position. That is why so many people have responded as they did.

And, well, don't call for a mod (especially one that can be tested for general feasibiliy so easily) without expecting the response of 'do it yourself'.

Here, why don't you do this? Get the map that has no poptypes on the independents, and see if the AI can do what you want. If it can, great, you have your own answer. If it can't, then you need to do some basic modding to remove some 'bad units' from a nation or two, assign the AI to the modified nations, and then see if _that_ does what you want. If it doesn't, then it might not be doable. Or you may need to refine what you think 'bad' is.
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:27 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

No, I responded as I did just to antagonize you.

Only in jest tho, of course. I understand that some people prefer SP. I even play SP myself from time to time (tho not in dominions).
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Private

UncleYee is on a distinguished road

Passing no judgment upon, and indeed not trying to unravel, the OP's point, I'd like to add a perspective to the "MP is the answer" line of reasoning. As an SP player who's starting to appreciate the failings of the AI, I do wish I could play against more challenging opponents.

Yet MP is such a totally different gaming experience, as I assume MP vets know very well. Perhaps, though, folks fail to fully think out _why_ and _how_ MP is so different. If a critique of the AI is to be answered by a suggestion to play MP, the implication is that playing MP is like playing against AIs, only smarter. I hope it is obvious that this is not the case. MP, if I understand correctly, is a far more social experience. It is one that involves interacting with other people to a great degree, and this interaction fundamentally (this can't be emphasized enough) changes the gameplay experience.

To put it another way, all will agree that comparing SP to MP strategies is apples to oranges, but few iterate that the difference in your opponent's tactical and strategic competence is arguably less fundamental to that change than the gameplay shift from private game to social game.

I just bring this up so that MP folks will keep in mind that while some of us might actually relish the challenge of gameplay against more competent opponents, opponents who play as well as those in this bountiful community of MP, none the less many SP gamers are just SP gamers. I don't sit in my room playing video games for hours on end because I get a kick out of interacting with other people. I mean, isn't that obvious?

I hope you'll appreciate the spirit in which this is meant. I love these boards, I love that there's a thriving community for this game, and I love the interaction here, the talking about ideas and strategies and whatnot. And yet, I don't want to play MP. It's just not the kind of playing I enjoy. I don't want to make alliances and gang up or get ganged-up on, I don't want to trade mages with hellbind heart (man that's clever), and I don't want to be a loser online the way I am off. I dont want to try and have more friends than everybody else, because I'm just lousy at making friends. Again, that's all wrapped up in my compulsive videogame playing. Chicken or egg, I couldn't tell you.

OK, I just wanted to chime in with that perspective. I think discussions on improving the AI are very constructive and relevant to the enjoyment of Dom 3 for a lot of people, even if it is primarily a multiplayer game.
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

UncleYee: A very good point, but we have no direct methods of improving the AI. About the only option we have are rather brute force methods of choking off specific decision trees (removing choices from consideration).

I wish we did, because I'm primarily a SP person.