.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 27th, 2007, 07:02 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battle simulator

I hope people here are willing to give the NI maps a go. They really are quite fun and they change the game more than you'd think.
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Something like that. Well basically for each terrain have a few sets of the type of army you could usually expect there. Then set RanDom for 100% fill. That way there would be no poptypes to recruit but still reasonable armies to fight.
Gandalf, I believe we already discussed this one. When the game is generated, it assigns random poptype to each province, generates the indie defenders, magic sites and whatever else according to game settings.

Only after that does it parse the map file for the province specific scripts, which is where the poptype assignments go. If #setland is used, the indie defenders stay, but the poptype gets deleted. So you still need to fight the indies, you just can't recruit them.
It would still be worth doing thru RanDom. It would give the person doing it a chance to select the defenders, and how often they occur. You could also select appropriate magic items, include summons, and have special groups for islands lakes volcanoes(lonely mountains) etc. In a no-indepts map some people might prefer alot more knight groups with mage backups.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

I've not played around with RanDom, so I wouldn't know about that. I've had my hands too full to even start getting familiar with all of the nifty little things we have seen here. I'll take your word for it.
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

RanDom is way cool. Its a take-off on my chaos maps for Dom2. I would randomly fill a map with structures like stray castles, and strange armies with equipment. I re-randomized them daily for new playing experiences. They went over well but the way I did it was too random. The armies might be made up of low units, summons, even pretenders. Sometimes water units on land and land units in water.

I suggested at the time, something called Semi-Random. Designed provinces that could be randomly placed. Such as
Terrain: forest
poptype: Deer Tribal
commander: deer shaman
units: deer tribe warriors
units: deer tribe archers
commander: centaur hierophant
equipment: black bow
units: centaur archers
magic site: that one that allows recruiting centaurs

That would be one file. Many such files could be placed by having the program look for proper terrains. Put mountain provinces in mountains, small town things in farmland, waste, swamp, etc etc. Since then, RanDom now also recognizes island, lake, volcano(lonely mountain), penninsula. And it allows sub-randoms so that you can have your designed province have some slight variety in it. Such as I could list Black Bow, Longbow of Accuracy, Bow of War as randoms for the centaur leader..

Just wandering thru the magic sites gives you plenty of reason to design provinces. So that you fight the mages that a site will allow recruiting, or create a dragons cave, or a lost village of the undead with sites to get undead. I think that everyone should donate a few provinces to the project. Lots of them would be great. Then processing a map thru it would give you a really fun map to play on that isnt quite as insane as my old program used to create.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:27 PM

BANNED USER

Wikd Thots is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RanDom

That sounds like fun.
I am not ready to make a map.
But I think I can design a single province.
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:26 AM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RanDom

I want to eat crow when i said the worthy hero mod did not seem to affect Pangaea, when in fact it bumped a hero's blood from 3 to 4, which is quite big for Pangaea blood users. Just noticed that tonight.

Of course, Pangaea already had 4 pretty tough heroes, so I am sure it was not a point of emphasis, like some of the races that failed to get many or any heroes. Now that i have it, i leave it on. Man got a pretty nice hero i have not seen before, 4a2n 2h, recuperation.