This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Star Legacy Development Group > Star Legacy

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:01 AM

Private

Martok is on a distinguished road
Default Any progress?

I remember it being said that development of the game has slowed, but is it at least still being worked on? I'm a big 4x fan, so this one caught my attention!

"My innate charm?"
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any progress?

Yeah, seems progress has been slow... or the visiting of this wonderful forum hasn't been very high on the To-Do-list.
To ask the same question; how are things going with the game?

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old August 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Private

MattII is on a distinguished road

Slow, maybe you should try PMing Gregstorm or one of the other guys actually involved in the production process.
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Brigadier General

Thumbs up Re: Any progress?

Thanks for the answer.
To be honest, I don't even know who's involved.
I'll PM Gregstorm.

The Following User Says Thank You to Timstone For This Useful Post:
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately the game is pretty much, well, to be generous, on indefinite hold... I'll try and explain below...

In January of 2011, I started a new job, and around that time development really started to slow down. Not only did we have no one spending much time on the game, since everyone involved was working during the week, but the codebase had grown so big and complicated that with so little time to work on the game, there was no way we could even plan fixing bugs and adding features with any sort of accuracy.

Now don't get me wrong, we really had accomplished a lot, and we probably could have slogged through finished the game by now had we had the time to work on it - but with such a massive codebase, it took huge amounts of effort just to find out what was wrong with something, and we simply didn't have the time to spend on that sort of thing!

After a few months of inactivity, we decided that if we wanted to get anything done, it might be best to start from scratch with a better design. That might have been a mistake, but on the other hand, what else was there to do? At this point there were really only two people still interested in working on the game: Ken (Urendi Maleldil) and Thomas (Mohs). I was no longer involved, though I stayed in touch with the two of them, albeit infrequently. They started working on some sort of PHP-based game, as opposed to the C#-based game we'd previously been developing. But this didn't go all that well, either, as when I spoke with Ken last week and asked him what ever happened to the game, he told me that they had pretty much given up on it.

I'm really sorry to have to report this bad news, but we've been hiding it long enough; you guys deserve an update! I still have a version of the C# code, though; I'd really like to get it released as open source or something so at least folks who do have time can pick it up again and try and muddle through it! (Heck, I might do it again, since I've been out of work again for a while! Yeah, I'm basically unemployable... being a terrorist-fetishist does that to ya :P)

Of course, before I release anything, I'll want to talk it over with Ken and with someone at Shrapnel - I don't want to get sued for leaking it or anything! Well, I personally never signed any contract with anyone not to dump the code out there, but I don't want Ken to get in hot water either, or get Shrapnel mad at me!
Old September 14th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Brigadier General

Hi Ed!

Thanks for that very unfortunate, but honest answer. I really appreciate it. Like I said, it's very unfortunate that progress came to a halt and in the end the game was cancelled. Quite understandable though. Making a game is a very involving and timeconsuming activity.
Thanks again for the update and the effort you've done for the game. I hope you'll soon find work again.
Cheers!

Old October 30th, 2012, 07:49 AM

General

For those of you who were following Star Legacy, Nick Dumas (Suicide Junkie) and I have been working on a new project called Event Horizon 2. We'd previously made a simple 4X game called Event Horizon - you can check it out on my website at http://edkolis.exofire.net/eventhorizon.php - and now we're working on a much more detailed sequel! We've taken what we learned from working on Event Horizon, Star Legacy, Vector Tactics, and the abandoned THANCS project, and we're building this one from the base of ship design and tactical combat, instead of starting with a grand strategy game and shoehorning combat in later like we tried to do with Star Legacy. This way we get a playable game sooner - we've already got a ship designer, and we've almost reached the point of having a functional tactical combat game! There are a few screenshots available at the bottom of the page I linked earlier, and there are a few more over on Nick's website: http://imagemodserver.dyndns.org/nic.../EH2/pictures/
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:51 PM

General

I heard from SJ today that apparently Star Legacy is back, sort of...

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/star...Wr4jrBeJe5cbCb

Looks like it's supposed to be some sort of open-source 4X/RPG hybrid or something. I wonder who's actually involved in the project this time? I'm just glad that the eels are still there as a planned race - Kwayne based their personality on me