.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 20th, 2018, 08:33 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default help Campaign Round Hammer scenario 2

Hi!! I need help. I advance with a first wave of infantry. Then is there any way to prevent the tanks from getting stuck? I try to use bulldozer but they do not work. They also get stuck. Thank you!!
Old May 7th, 2018, 04:32 AM

Corporal

lukerduker123 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: help Campaign Round Hammer scenario 2

You're landing on a muddy beach, so it's natural for tanks to get stuck! There isn't a single space for tanks to land safely except for 24,17 and 24,15. Even then you're going have to cross at least one hex of mud in order to reach 'dry' land. In general this beach is absolutely horrible for tanks, with holes, rough terrain, mud, and a buttload of AT making any sort of tank-first landing a butt. I always send four tanks in first to use them as fire support with all my infantry landing, then after that ferry the rest of your tanks over. Infantry close-assaults in the trenches, smoke, and naval bombardments are your friend in this scenario.

Here's a few tips from someone who's beaten this scenario three or four times.

(1). Your naval arty is really, really useful. Once one fire mission is up call another in until you're off the beach.
(2). Your objective ISN'T the beach. Don't worry about clearing all the beach defenses. If you land at 24,17 you won't come under fire from any of the bunkers. They don't have LoS on that. This tiny 50X50 meter hex has earned the nickname "Jesus Hex" from me, because it's one of the few places where there's no mud AND the enemy can't fire directly at you.
(3). KEEP MOVING. This isn't 1944 where you have absolute air and artillery dominance. The enemy has aircraft and they have artillery batteries, so don't stop. It doesn't help that you have 32 turns, and the first eight to twelve are going to be you getting your troops off the beach.
(4). Everything is a ride. In your push off the beach you're going to want to get moving into the town ASAP. Half-tracks might get stuck or KO'd by artillery, so mount infantry up on your tanks and push ahead. They'll take casualties, but this whole campaign is built around taking ridiculous losses to secure a win.
(5). V-hexes matter! Some scenarios or campaigns in this game focus on killing as many soldiers as possible while keeping losses down. Here it's quite different! You can get !4,130! points if you secure every V-hex on this map. Your entire force if you didn't lose a single tank in North Africa is 3,168 points, so assuming you lose half your core force you can still squeeze out a marginal victory. Auxiliary units are another 1,486 points, so keep an eye out for them. Armor is a good part of your points, so take care to keep them from getting smote.
Speaking of armor!
(6). Tanks, tanks, and more tanks! I cannot stress how important tanks are in this scenario. Expect a fair chunk to get stuck on the beach, but those that are left are rolling gold. If you can try and get your CS tank (preferably the 105mm howitzer) off the beach. That monster is an absolute beast against dug in infantry, and in my campaign about a third of my Shermans ended up being 105mm CS variants. Before you start complaining about the fact that it isn't a 'tank killer', let me simply point to the fact that it's slightly less accurate than the 75mm gun, but can carry HEAT that can penetrate 10 armor. It even has longer range, even though in most combat in this campaign you won't need it.
(7). Flamethrowers are brutal little things. Unfortunately the flamethrower units you get are two man teams which require a lot of micromanaging to make sure they aren't gunned down before they can do Gds work. You can blow 84 support points to get yourself three teams of twelve engineers, each with their own little firestarter. You can also spend 116 support points to get the same platoon with two more two-man teams of flamethrowers, though I tend to only use the big guys, since the others are fragile. I'm not sure if flamethrowers can replenish their 'ammo' given how large the warhead is, as I've never attempted this before. With that in mind, make each shot count! You only have four bursts with each flamethrower unless you run with infinite ammo, but trust me when I say each one is absolutely devastating. You can route an infantry squad with a single burst and even take out a bunker!
(8). DUKW, DUKW, Dead. DUKWs are lovely for that part of the scenario where you break out from the beachhead. Before that, however, they tend to take an absolute beating getting onto the beach themselves. You have to ask yourself if it's worth the extra carrying capacity. Most of the time I save them until the second wave.
(9). Final tip. Don't give up. This may be the first campaign in the game but it is also a rather brutal one. Most scenarios involve you to rush rush rush, but there's also quite a few where you have to be exceptional to get through. Save a lot, reload if RNJesus decides to go on break, and try another campaign if you find this one to be too difficult. I recommend Invasion Sweden, as it has the same premise but is, in my opinion, somewhat easier given you can have Tiger tanks and the Swedes don't offer up much of an armored threat.

Hope this has been some help. I'm going to go sleep now.
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

OR........just go to preferences and turn breakdowns OFF

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 10th, 2018, 11:00 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukerduker123 View Post
You're landing on a muddy beach, so it's natural for tanks to get stuck! There isn't a single space for tanks to land safely except for 24,17 and 24,15. Even then you're going have to cross at least one hex of mud in order to reach 'dry' land. In general this beach is absolutely horrible for tanks, with holes, rough terrain, mud, and a buttload of AT making any sort of tank-first landing a butt. I always send four tanks in first to use them as fire support with all my infantry landing, then after that ferry the rest of your tanks over. Infantry close-assaults in the trenches, smoke, and naval bombardments are your friend in this scenario.

Here's a few tips from someone who's beaten this scenario three or four times.

(1). Your naval arty is really, really useful. Once one fire mission is up call another in until you're off the beach.
(2). Your objective ISN'T the beach. Don't worry about clearing all the beach defenses. If you land at 24,17 you won't come under fire from any of the bunkers. They don't have LoS on that. This tiny 50X50 meter hex has earned the nickname "Jesus Hex" from me, because it's one of the few places where there's no mud AND the enemy can't fire directly at you.
(3). KEEP MOVING. This isn't 1944 where you have absolute air and artillery dominance. The enemy has aircraft and they have artillery batteries, so don't stop. It doesn't help that you have 32 turns, and the first eight to twelve are going to be you getting your troops off the beach.
(4). Everything is a ride. In your push off the beach you're going to want to get moving into the town ASAP. Half-tracks might get stuck or KO'd by artillery, so mount infantry up on your tanks and push ahead. They'll take casualties, but this whole campaign is built around taking ridiculous losses to secure a win.
(5). V-hexes matter! Some scenarios or campaigns in this game focus on killing as many soldiers as possible while keeping losses down. Here it's quite different! You can get !4,130! points if you secure every V-hex on this map. Your entire force if you didn't lose a single tank in North Africa is 3,168 points, so assuming you lose half your core force you can still squeeze out a marginal victory. Auxiliary units are another 1,486 points, so keep an eye out for them. Armor is a good part of your points, so take care to keep them from getting smote.
Speaking of armor!
(6). Tanks, tanks, and more tanks! I cannot stress how important tanks are in this scenario. Expect a fair chunk to get stuck on the beach, but those that are left are rolling gold. If you can try and get your CS tank (preferably the 105mm howitzer) off the beach. That monster is an absolute beast against dug in infantry, and in my campaign about a third of my Shermans ended up being 105mm CS variants. Before you start complaining about the fact that it isn't a 'tank killer', let me simply point to the fact that it's slightly less accurate than the 75mm gun, but can carry HEAT that can penetrate 10 armor. It even has longer range, even though in most combat in this campaign you won't need it.
(7). Flamethrowers are brutal little things. Unfortunately the flamethrower units you get are two man teams which require a lot of micromanaging to make sure they aren't gunned down before they can do Gds work. You can blow 84 support points to get yourself three teams of twelve engineers, each with their own little firestarter. You can also spend 116 support points to get the same platoon with two more two-man teams of flamethrowers, though I tend to only use the big guys, since the others are fragile. I'm not sure if flamethrowers can replenish their 'ammo' given how large the warhead is, as I've never attempted this before. With that in mind, make each shot count! You only have four bursts with each flamethrower unless you run with infinite ammo, but trust me when I say each one is absolutely devastating. You can route an infantry squad with a single burst and even take out a bunker!
(8). DUKW, DUKW, Dead. DUKWs are lovely for that part of the scenario where you break out from the beachhead. Before that, however, they tend to take an absolute beating getting onto the beach themselves. You have to ask yourself if it's worth the extra carrying capacity. Most of the time I save them until the second wave.
(9). Final tip. Don't give up. This may be the first campaign in the game but it is also a rather brutal one. Most scenarios involve you to rush rush rush, but there's also quite a few where you have to be exceptional to get through. Save a lot, reload if RNJesus decides to go on break, and try another campaign if you find this one to be too difficult. I recommend Invasion Sweden, as it has the same premise but is, in my opinion, somewhat easier given you can have Tiger tanks and the Swedes don't offer up much of an armored threat.

Hope this has been some help. I'm going to go sleep now.
Thanks friend!! I passed that scenario several times too. With marginal victory. I wanted to know if there was any unit that cleaned the beach for the tanks, or something like that.
The last move was made by making a major advance in the south, and a secondary advance through the center, in two waves per sector. It was good.
Thanks for your tips. Greetings.
Old May 10th, 2018, 11:01 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
OR........just go to preferences and turn breakdowns OFF