Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old April 18th, 2018, 07:34 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Confused Heavy Transporter

Does anyone use the Heavy transporter?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 18th, 2018, 07:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Heavy Transporter

I've seen some scenarios use it, but for me it is the most useless unit in the game.

Logical if you ask me, their purpose is strategic movement of heavy equipment, not coming anywhere close to a battle.
Old April 18th, 2018, 08:10 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

That unitclass is in both games but never used in SPWW2, All nations have one in MBT but I've never heard anyone mention using it.....which scenarios use it?

You could use it " creatively " to drag damaged tanks out of harms way but again, I have not heard of anyone doing that

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 18th, 2018, 08:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
You could use it " creatively " to drag damaged tanks out of harms way but again, I have not heard of anyone doing that
Now that you mention it...why not create an ARV in future versions of the game? It will be able to do the same thing, but it will be armored (thus more survivable) and have better off road mobility. Plus, it will be more realistic than using tank transporters to do the same thing.
Old April 18th, 2018, 11:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I have considered it but to make that really work would require code work and a lot of Icons... the heavy transport was a legacy unit from SP2 that uses a single universal Icon and was included " just because" it had always been there....but we didn't implement it in WW2....no units use that unit class and I have been considering using it for other things..... MBT....again...it was there in the original and we just left it there but it was becoming obvious it was not being used in any way so it may be "recycled" as well.. Certainly ARV's are possible.. some OOB's use "ARV's" as engineering vehicles but to do it "right" would require delays like clearing mines....not drive up and load like you would infantry and that gets us going down a rabbit hole we really don't want to do either.

Old April 18th, 2018, 05:01 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I use them all the time to move artillery, occasionally light vehicles, and in scenarios sometimes an ammo dump (with a bit of editor magic ... change the carry weight to what the helo can manage, load it, change the carry weight back).

As merely troop transports, no.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old April 18th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I use them all the time to move artillery, occasionally light vehicles, and in scenarios sometimes an ammo dump (with a bit of editor magic ... change the carry weight to what the helo can manage, load it, change the carry weight back).

As merely troop transports, no.
I think Don means class # 138 Heavy transporter (tank transporter) rather than the Heavy helo.

In answer to Don: I have used them in "convoy"-style games but rarely.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old April 18th, 2018, 06:47 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yes, it's class # 138 Heavy transporter (tank transporter) I'm referring to not the helos

Old April 18th, 2018, 08:02 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Yes, it's class # 138 Heavy transporter (tank transporter) I'm referring to not the helos
Oh, those.

I plan to use a couple in my ever-so-slowly-evolving USMC in Iraq campaign (one will be transporting a PBR of all things). But other then a "flavor" situation I've never seen any reason to use them. WinSMPBT tends to represent the FEBA and tank transports have no business being that far forward.

If you want to keep them in the game but clear an unused asset from most OOBs toss one in the UN OOB.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old April 18th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Right now it's just a question to see if anyone does use them. I have no plans at this time to use them for anything else ......ATM....... but WW2 never used the class and right now I am in the middle of running tests as a "Utility Carrier" and then the bicycle units ( of which there are far more than many may think... ) could go back to normal infantry size and speed and this newly renamed class will become "Bicycles" ( or any other type of oddball utility vehicle if so desired )

EDIT....Testing has revealed some serious flaws in the idea and it may be dropped

It may seem odd thing to be doing but bike troops were always a kludge and a highly unsatisfactory one at that but were always WAY back on the list and every few years it's pointed out the way they were set up was never the best solution..... this goes a long way to making it better....but it has nothing to do with MBT at the moment. I just wanted to see if anyone did use them

Last edited by DRG; April 20th, 2018 at 12:19 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: