.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:04 PM

Sergeant

revenant2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Primordial Cake - [Game In Progress]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaOfEffect View Post
On a different note, I declare the game officially concluded with revenant2 the winner. Congrats. Perhaps next time you will fall by my hands.
Thanks everyone.

This game was pretty wild -- at least for me. I don't think I had a single peaceful turn from about turn 10 and onward.

I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I chose LA Arco. I actually though they were supposed to be a bit weak, but nothing could have been further from the truth.

Their priestesses are all kinds of awesome.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 02:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

Groundworm is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the win, rev, and well-deserved. I had honestly considered you to be a rival, but not a true threat, while we were cooperating against Caelum (who, at the time, was definitely stronger than either of us). However, you took a large portion of Caelum's empire and your power jumped off the charts.

BTW, was it deliberate the way you attacked Caelum in such a way as to block me off from most of their territories? If so, nicely done.

I'm curious- priestesses? Of all the tools Arco has at their disposal, why did you single them out as particularly excellent? In what capacity did you use them that made them so valuable?
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:48 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundworm View Post
Congrats on the win, rev, and well-deserved. I had honestly considered you to be a rival, but not a true threat, while we were cooperating against Caelum (who, at the time, was definitely stronger than either of us). However, you took a large portion of Caelum's empire and your power jumped off the charts.

BTW, was it deliberate the way you attacked Caelum in such a way as to block me off from most of their territories? If so, nicely done.

I'm curious- priestesses? Of all the tools Arco has at their disposal, why did you single them out as particularly excellent? In what capacity did you use them that made them so valuable?
Acro priests are sacred units with the ability to cure afflictions and come standard with Nature 1 and Holy 2. This allows for a variety of very cool tactics:

1.) Mind hunting without fear of feeblemind.

I made it a priority to field a small army of +5 penetration mind hunters. Depending on the movements of my armies, I had between 8-12 mind hunters that I used to knock out raiders and disrupt army movements.

Against AOE and you they weren't terribly effective (although they are were good at knocking out sneaking units). However, I did quite a bit of damage against Atlantis and they absolutely saved my butt when fighting Mictlan.

2.) Resilient armies.

I always made sure that each of my major armies had a priestess or two to help heal afflictions. Besides the obvious value of not having afflictions, it made my armies virtually immune to leprosy, which was used extensively against me.

3.) Excellent at defense.

This might be surprising, but with their nature 1 ability and the right boosters they can easily cast Animal Horde or cast Forest Dome for defense. I did this a bunch of times in this game when you guys threatened my castles. It was partly for this reason that I tried to make sure that I kept a priestess in each of my fortresses.

4.) They are good researchers and preachers.

Due to their sacred status they are the most cost effective researcher for LA Arco. If you accumulate them, you can also use them to help preach, which means you can get away with having weaker dominion as well.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:04 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundworm View Post
I think this was due to how we were situated on the map, although I did move aggressively to take his fortresses on our border since I suspected I would need them against you.

In terms of placement, Atlantis was almost totally shielded by you. I had a little border with him on the South, but I couldn't mount a significant offensive. This might have been a good thing since he had some very scary armies.

By the way, I tried to stop you from joining the coalition for as long as possible and viewed you as a major threat. I had actually held back against the other guys so I could field enough strength to counterattack your inevitable invasion.

Despite this, I had a few tense turns after you invaded where things went rather poorly for me.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:57 AM

Corporal

shunwick is on a distinguished road

Yes, Congratulations to Revenant 2 for his victory. I have always been sad that I could not continue this game and believe it or not I have only just got internet connection again (last two and half weeks).

Best wishes,
Steve
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:27 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunwick View Post
Yes, Congratulations to Revenant 2 for his victory. I have always been sad that I could not continue this game and believe it or not I have only just got internet connection again (last two and half weeks).

Best wishes,
Steve
How did you survive without internet for six months? That sounds terrible.

I should be the one thanking you. If it wasn't for our early alliance and our early rush of Abysia, my position would have been much worse.
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:26 AM

Corporal

shunwick is on a distinguished road

The internet connection came rather quickly in the end but from 10 October to 20 February, they had NINE attempts to activate my phone line. After that it was a wait to 5 March for the broadband connection.

And yes, I was pulling my hair out.

I am glad that my pull out didn't give you huge headaches.

All the best,
Steve
Old March 24th, 2013, 03:16 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunwick View Post
I am glad that my pull out didn't give you huge headaches.
Steve
I wouldn't say that

After you went AI your former nation went full retard and threw everything they had on my unprotected heartland. I had a few very tense turns, but in the long-run it benefited me since I was able to secure your very nice capitol and a good chunk of your territory.