.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old January 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Them Germans were good

Is there any 88 classed as flak?all them seem to be HATG
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

This game does not like me more on later.
Well those H-39s were not so bad we had a funny little dance infantry chasing them as speed 12 & my armour joined in up close both can kill each other if MkIIIs, MkIIs have to pray a bit as vurnerable full stop.
Char-Bs still scare me but local force superiority will stop H-39s
My MkIIs held them off infantry that came to get me while dealt with H-39s.
Smoke to localise battles has become my best friend.
Nothing much else happened of intrest once tanks gone armour assisted in defeat of troops.
marginal victory

Swaped ATGs for 47cm - some chance
Added 2 platoons of engineer to core for tank threat & experience means will clear mines faster. Handy as usualy takes place under arty fire.
Swaped 4 more trucks for HTs they are taxis for the enginneers as now have 8.
Swaped a couple of MkII to MkIII for survival more than anything.

Next battle river crossing, oh b#$%#
Vis 62 turns 50 someting flags shotgun mainly round centre
Terrain clumps of woods a few low hills on my side. french side same but more hills & to level 3.
2 roads to river centre one near enough to heart of flags, top within a few hexes of map edge with wide open space on other side, centre not much better very little cover near river on either side, said smoke was my friend.

Spending all support points (lots) as would actualy like some survivers
8 barge carriers in case AI is unervingly good with arty again.
Several 105 155 offmap bateries one will be assigned CB duties
8 planes for armour.
3 bombers if I can identify on map arty if he has or to help with tanks if not
2 companies of paras, poor sods unexposed landing could be hard.

Vision will at least help my FOOs have 2 & a vehicleFOO. Risky bet but if moves to tree line slowly should be safe at over a Km, oh river is 14 hexes wide, thats a bit of time in a rubber boat

Paras come with a PAW 7.5cm with pen 8 heat 6 but only 4 rounds of each, if I can get them close enough maybe.

Current thinking is a feint crossing down the middle but main landing using top road.
to close to map edge for my liking but Paras can contest the area. Need road realy for barge transports as slow.
Also means if make it across can roll him up from there.
Timing is key here my troops are going to be in those boats way to long for my liking.
If there are any tanks near the crossing point those planes better do their job.
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
Is there any 88 classed as flak?all them seem to be HATG
Errr - that is because they ARE heavy ATG in the game.

Heavy FLAK in the game is being deployed as ATG, and tactically spread out as ATG. If dug in they will be in deep gun-pits oriented for direct fire and not out in the open with wide arcs as needed for AAA fires. But as their only AAA usage is salvo barrage fire at high level bombers, which needed the guns to be all close together so the HAA director could be hooked up to the guns then there is really no point in an AA version that would sit twiddling its thumbs against the AI (which has no use for level bombers) and against most human players (who prefer strike planes or regular arty over a single-pass HE dumptruck that was really only provided for a few scenarios that might need them to drop arty all over the map and also likely on own forces too - e.g. the Normandy breakout).

The guns that have their AAA sights on the mounting and are used for following individual strike planes "down in the weeds", you already have to hand.

Cheers
Andy
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:31 AM

General

Well minor porky I bought 6 bombers not 3 , also 5 gliders & there are acouple of level 2 hills on my side.

My ATGs have been ordered to assist the paras so on board 3 of the gliders. The FOOs comandered the motorcycles for a run to those hills & FOO vehicle is following one, slowpoke.
Turn 1 the 6 armoured car & remaining motorcycle head down main road stopping in full sight & drop a bit of smoke near his side of the river. Will the AI think I am coming that way? Also a few empty trucks in general area but probably take him another turn to see.
Main force is grouped to close together as top road is to near map edge, if he drops arty here its game over.

Turn 2 one of the hills is not safe for my FOOs 155mm Bat just landed on, will wait nearby before risking.
I can get to about 250m from river in vehicles then have to unload as visible.
Drop arty barrage on landing zone.
82Mtrs are there usual useless self as cant reach anything they are now in range to bombard riverside.

Turn 3 Drop smoke to protect landing zone. I got 8 gold spots & placed 4 on riverbank some arty transfering over to hammer it. I have also decided to use the bombers here as crossing is the hard part, they are ready to go & FOOs should have eyes on next turn.

Turn 4
Ruse might have worked no AI arty this go, hope he has called on centre, will start pulling forces out of there next go.
Riverside bombardment starts & paras come in.
Sort of cheating did not realy think about but came in from side as that was the direction I wanted them to spread. Smoke worked a treat no plane was fired on before they dropped & only a couple were hit later, all 20 or so survived thats a first.
4 units drifted off & took fire while landing 2 lost a man & one LMG section was destroyed as forgot to set company rally point so Lemminged towards them.

So I have 2 intact para companies & 3 ATGs on his side to see what they can spot. Hope tanks are not to heavy in the area but planes are primed & ready to go when they have targets.
2 FOOs have a good view but on reflection should have risked sending one over as LOS will get messy fast.
Screen shot straight after landing attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	para drop.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	7503  
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:50 PM

General

Default The Saga Continues

Turns 5+6
As usual weeding out dug in infantry without vehicle support is proving hard work, FJs are finding the odd mine to mainly along the road as expected. Most moving to end of road others fanning out & heading for the river. As got down so well one platoon has broken off & is going for a looksee towards the left.
Some infantry is in the water & 2 barges make it on turn 6, each takes a Rauempanzer + Pioneer plus whatever fits as expecting mines on river bank.
Ruse has worked only 1 arty strike vs my arty

Turn 7+8
Expending a lot of my arty to help FJs as first wave is 2/3rds across, thought for a moment they had gone one turn to early, have lost 2 rafts as smoke did not fall right. Having to keep avenues open so FOOs can see.
Nearly dug out top will be ready, further down progress not so good & people that were crossing there aborted & back on land as more bunkers. Not enough arty to deal with at the moment
Crossing in 2 waves as if mines as I expect will end up in a big clump when land.
AI arty happily is pounding mine & AAA which was supporting from far side along with a couple of MGs. Also hitting FJs but only one round in the water well back. Will my luck hold?
Tanks
Para drop transport saw 1 Char-B a long way from my position & FJ scout party has found a platoon of H-39/SA18s . There are at least 3 Somua S-35s near the bunkers & they are proving as resilent as Chars, bomber took one out on 3rd attempt others are happily taking pot shots at my FJs.
The SA18s will not be a problem when I get there as good armour but guns a bit of a peashooter pen of 1.
New arty routines mean placing arty takes a while now as check LOS & switch between plus you really have to think about dropping smoke. River crossings were hard enough now even more so.
The big question is can I Land & clear the mines before his arty hits. If smoke falls right 2 barges should make it next turn.
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:46 PM

General

Default Turns 9+10

I am seriously worried all arty fire has stopped exept 1 mortar versus the FJs. The second wave has decided discretion is the better part of valour & is moving back from the river.
Having to drop more smoke to screen now that most of his infantry is dug out so barrage can die down. I have 5 offboard & 2 are switching to CB mode.

Them damn tanks I thought the Frenchies were supposed to lift up there skirts & run, nobody told these guys. Targeted with 6 155s, also 2 ATGs no chance to kill but help suppress & they are still firing the main gun. 2 planes were supposed to hit but my usual skill with air means they targeted nearby bunkers instead.
Remaining troops I can see are in there sort of area or South in trees & FJ snippers have helped no end with digging out.
Calling top North from now on so NSEW

Barges have landed either side of road & busy clearing mines. Need to get out of there as troops arriving in rafts fast. Fjs to N have started clearing wire to help.
Arty has to be iminent God help us.

Considering adding 2 snipers to core, giving FJ ones an extra packet of fags for outstanding work.
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:40 PM

General

Default Breakout iminent turn 11

Pic of situation at end of turn 11

2 paths through mines cleared & hopeing paths through wire will be this turn. If not going to risk immob & run through with vehicles as expecting arty on crossing point. I hope the guys in rafts can make it to the bank & weather the storm before it hits.
2 barges are risking being in LOS of bunkers to make them think will continue loading further South. Should be able to survive a hit at that range & dumping arty on bunkers to suppress.
The idea is just to clear the immediate area, will sort into some sort of fighting formation once they have done so, 5 key will come in handy.
Risking bringing a couple of ammo trucks over in 2nd wave as think engineers might need a top up after bunker busting. One set of 82Mtrs coming over to the others will help provide smoke for the crossing.
Grief those tanks hit with arty again still holding.
Will find out if FJs PAW 75mm any good against as now about 300m away. Crawled up with it switched off so do not waste a shot & risking waiting so firer is stationary, thats assuming arty dust cloud does not hide the tanks as hitting again, 3rd time lucky? A lot of ammo going here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turn 11 end.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	7514  
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM

General

Default A cautionary tale

Turns 11-13

Check your arty at start of turn for lost contact. I lost contact with an offboard 155 with plot set that was going to shift 2 hexes. Did not realise till to late so a couple of FJs caught a few hits as on the edge.
On the plus side one of my bateries CBed this turn so I should have shut down 1 set of 75s
About 6 80mtrs have opened up at force to South of bunkers who are clearing out a platoon of infantry.
The FJ scout force has found no sign of infantry support for for the H-39/SA-18s found earlier but are proceding very slowly waiting for the last unit in the formation to catch up as he dropped badly.

The landing zone has been slamed by 75 & 155 fire. Most of the vehicles managed to clear the worst of it, several were on the edge a MKII is immobile & a MKIII lost a weapon. About 70% of infantry made it to some risking a ride. Most of the others have now started crawling but 5 units are getting hit hard. Its touch & go as if they retreat further will probably walk into mines.
About 60% of my core force is over & the 2nd wave is reformed on the shoreline preparing to load up. The force that aborted crossing is making its way to departure zone in trucks & will be one turn behind wave2.

The initial plan was to ignore the North bunkers leaving to wave2 & stop those tanks however there are 2 more of the damn things all within 200m of each other & covered by the Bunkers there & strongpoints (weak bunker tank can kill if close).
I now have the falling on those tanks about 18 tubes & still have not heard one resounding thunk. 1 FJ PAW75 now has only HEAT left but he managed to kill one so "only" 3 left. I digress as path cleared went past North Bunkers they are gone as means I wont need much smoke for wave2.
Turn 14 a good amount of armour in position to shoot at 2 tanks so time for the kitchen sink absolutly everyone fired at them LMG MMG sections halftracks ATGs tanks. They are still not running & as dug in I just cant get side hits on the hulls so any chance of damage seems slim.
Going a little slower than I anticipated
4 engineers are in HTs & can reach 2 screening bunker they have to take out before can make a safe aproach so I just have to stop them getting shot up.
These French tankers are amazing, the Char-B I mentioned earlier & have ignored opened up at a range of 3Km all bar 100m low hit chance of course but guess what 3 side hits on a MKIII main gun gone what the
Old January 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM

General

Default Time for a plan

Turn 14

Enemy mortar fire got an FJ sniper barrage on landing zone dying down but about half a dozen infantry units are not well.
2nd wave is in the water & crossing.
Thought & forgot that mines possible protecting bunkers have spotted some so Pioneers run is on hold. I think there are paths through But Raumpanzer & Pioneers now there slower approach.
That Char scored another hit no damage this time.
The other PAW 75 in the vicinity got a tank, seem to work well at 250m, 2 left.

THE PLAN
My units are in disaray after landing & the large amounts of arty air I took have spoiled me. I have ample time & while did not plan on using a turn or 2 to sort out before attacking makes sense.
1) Smoke Char-B
2) Smoke local tanks & take out easy strong points covering with ATGs & a few MkIIIs. Move PAW75s up.
They will be supported by 4 MkIIIs split to move to either side of so can get a rear turret hit by switching firers.
3) The other MKIIIs are moving to take out H-39/SA18s
4) The MkIIs are going to give troop fire support as will Raumpanzers when done with mines.
5) Most of FJs & core that has made breakout is heading along near river bank this will change.
6) There is a N-S road running about 20 hexes from West map edge main thrust will be along there with secondary along the bank.
This makes finding arty more likely & means should be able to attack several positions from behind, one hopes.
7) 2 Batteries will stay on CB duty I do not need all this arty now but smoke was vital for crossing & FJs were on their own. The rest will assist with dug in troops as & when found.
8) Planes, do not think I have lost any AAA may be light they are going to start passes on likely locations starting North & heading slowly down map. This should help them survive & give away location of AAA before infantry stumbles into & gets chewed up.

FORCE SUMMARY
1)Planes & arty have proved totaly ineffective vs tanks using to soften troops.
2) MkIIs realy need not to get in range of enemy armour, MkIIIs can help but will need an assist as can't get track hits need to be nearly point blank & still rear turret is best option & by no means a guarantee.
3) FJs have heaps of smoke & will therefore be leading ground forces as can pop to survive if need. plus elite so see fairly well.
4) Pioneers are my current tank killers but some will clear bunkers before working in conjunction with PAW75s.
5) PAW75s are effective tank killers close up have a range of 50, 2.5Km so may be effective at greater range but due to poor ammo load need evey shot to count.
Be nice to swap my few AT Rifles for in core but I don't think the FJs commander will take to kindly to a request to lend me them till I have something better.
Old January 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM

General

Default Update

Not much to report managing to sort the troops out a bit from the chaos they were in, 5 key is a Godsend here as saves keep doing N+P when you have ended up scattered to the 4 winds.
Lost contact with a 155 bat again wonder if its the same one but not a problem as will fire next go on H-39/SA-18s before tanks expose themselves. Also lost contact with a plane but it did its run anyway. AAA is light round here anyway.
Keeping an eye on how radio contact with offboard develops throughout the war.
Will exp help a bit or is it simply the radio code. Will the radio code get better as time progresses, probably not for Germans but I am sure Russian radios were pretty poor at the start of the war if you were lucky enough to have one that is, could be talking out of my rear here.
Have dicovered a sniper near road & think possibly a mortar
A HMG on river bank has discovered me, logical place for realy.