.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old February 7th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Sergeant

zepath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Mod: Halls of the Underkings

Quote:
WraithLord said:
If you like reading books I'd recommend for you the "Dark elf trilogy" by R.A. Salvatore. This, I'm sure, will give you plenty of ideas for drow.

George Martin's ice and fire is another matter. It is imho one of the best fantasy stories and a must read. I'd recommend that you grab a copy of "A game of thrones" and start the journey.
I've had some friends who've read Martin's series and loved it, but as I remember those books are heavy enough to kill someone with and I've never picked them up. I usually prefer science fiction over fantasy; e.g. Foundation, Starship Troopers, Ringworld, Hyperion, etc.. Nevertheless I am an avid reader and will have plenty of time for that sort of thing in the coming year. So, I may finally pick up one of Martin's novels.

On the issue of Dom3 and mods. It would be no problem to change simple things in a .dm file like unit ID number. That's why we have the Replace command It's good to hear that mods will be at least similar in Dom3 if not totally compatible. My only worry now is that the graphics in Dom3 will advance considerably. If each monster had, for instance, more than two animations it would increase modding time significantly.
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

yay, you know about warhammer dark elves (does this mean we can have war hydras?) but seriosuly, alot of warhammer armies would make good nations imo (vampire counts, PLEASE)
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Sergeant

I must admit the Warhammer Vampire Counts army that replaced the old Undead army I used to play is quite cool. In Dominions, it would be an awesome variation for Ermor, but I'm not certain if it is possible to give new creatures the power to summon soulless, ghouls, and the like. And it wouldn't seem right to make undead recruitables.

However, a nation that used vampires as commanders and mages and dark elves as its infantry...

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the Vampire Counts miniatures from Games Workshop:

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/w...og/default.htm
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:40 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Reanimation comes from Unholy priest levels. The nation effects which undead are summoned. If you replace Soul Gate commanders with Vampire Counts, and they have unholy levels, they summon SG special undead. I think all of the SG special undead are unique to SG. Some interesting possibilities...
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM

Sergeant

In the case of a Vampire Counts mod the reanimations of Ashen Empire would better fit. The army in Warhammer is primarily composed of skeletal undead and zombies/thralls/ghouls. The longdead are quite similar to this. If I went down this path, I would revamp all the standard undead summons for Ashen Empire.

I'm inspired to investigate this further and may start planning a mod in this vein, but I'm only a few days from leaving for a month-long obligation. Guess it'll have to wait 'til March to be made. When can we expect Dom3?
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Colonel

I would probably mod base ermor instead of SG/AE. give them quite a good amount of starting undead and have wolves, bats, vampires and probably black knights and some other elite units. give vampires decent unholy lvl and death magic (maybe even have the different bloodlines)
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
shovah said:
I would probably mod base ermor instead of SG/AE. give them quite a good amount of starting undead and have wolves, bats, vampires and probably black knights and some other elite units. give vampires decent unholy lvl and death magic (maybe even have the different bloodlines)
I've already started thinking about it and you reinforced many of the ideas I came up with or drew from other material. If only I had more time! Leaving in a few days...

*edit: shovah, have you still not been able to load my mods?
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:53 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

With Ashen Empire, the nation would either get six types of longdead, or the Reanimation would be changed. Soul Gate has about more unique creatures, IIRC.

You could use summoning rituals from either theme, as both themes have restricted summon spells summoning spesific creatures not used elsewhere. I don't know about the miniatures' world, so you're probably right and Ashen Empire fits better.
It would be nice to be able to mod that Ghoul Hoburg theme, somehow.
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Colonel

in the table top its basically the living units i said, commander by vampire counts, thralls, necromancers (human and vampire) and the ocasional different commander.
theres also banshees (in very limited numbers) and spirit hosts (basically a bunch of etheral guys again in small numbers) summoning wouldnt really suit as most things are/were alive (eg vamps and necros) or are reanimated for free (hence death magic for battle raising and unholy for making real armies)
they have a core of lumbering undead made from skeletons and zombies (skeletons would be like those in game but i would say zombies should be more easily reanimated but around defence 2 attack 4) and reanimating ghouls fit as undead use ghouls.

a fitting commander would be the starter of one of the 5 bloodlines, and it would certainly make for an interesting race (quite like base ermor but with more combat suited leaders)
and no i havnt been able to get the mods working, maybe some-one could attach them to a post instead of you and i could try (ive kind of given up)
Old February 10th, 2006, 05:26 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
shovah said:
and no i havnt been able to get the mods working, maybe some-one could attach them to a post instead of you and i could try (ive kind of given up)
Try this. This is rar instead of zip. Maybe it will work for you. Dont forget to decompress in Dominions2/mods folder with folder structure intact.
Attached Files
File Type: rar 405297-dom2mod_underkings.rar (237.4 KB, 583 views)