.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 13th, 2009, 03:53 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Philosophy on Strategy Guides

I must say I don't really like the National Strategy guides.

Imho a guide should be aimed mostly at newbies because they are needing them. An experienced player should be able to asses the strengths of their nations on their own as well as build solid strategies and the fun is imho in doing that and not following a guide only to win.

When I was a complete newbie (well, I am beyond that hopefully, I can't say my strategies are bulletproof and fully efficient they're not a complete waste though) I've read some of them and really understood nothing.
One instance was when it was mentioned how great this nation is at fatigue spells. Well, I couldn't really see the point of why you'd prefer a fatigue spell over a damage spell, until I build my first thug.

I'd rather see the effort that's put into these national guides into more general guides like how do I build/counter thugs/SCs with Nature Magic or Air Magic, how do I counter skellyspam, etc.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:20 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

ehm let's stay on topic

/me gets down on his knee's

PLEASE
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:28 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes View Post
It feels as if you like a Socratic kind of guide, where the "teacher" has a dialog with the student so he can find his own way of approaching the problem.
No Gandalf prefers a Schizophrenic kind of guide, where the poster has a dialogue with himself.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
ehm let's stay on topic

/me gets down on his knee's

PLEASE
I agree. Illuminated One, there's no need to bring this subject of Strategy Guides up again, when everyone is busy talking about what certain forum members are wearing.

On a completely different topic, I'd be very interested in reading the Definitive Schizophrenic Guide to R'lyeh.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:06 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated One View Post
I must say I don't really like the National Strategy guides.

Imho a guide should be aimed mostly at newbies because they are needing them. An experienced player should be able to asses the strengths of their nations on their own as well as build solid strategies and the fun is imho in doing that and not following a guide only to win.

When I was a complete newbie (well, I am beyond that hopefully, I can't say my strategies are bulletproof and fully efficient they're not a complete waste though) I've read some of them and really understood nothing.
One instance was when it was mentioned how great this nation is at fatigue spells. Well, I couldn't really see the point of why you'd prefer a fatigue spell over a damage spell, until I build my first thug.

I'd rather see the effort that's put into these national guides into more general guides like how do I build/counter thugs/SCs with Nature Magic or Air Magic, how do I counter skellyspam, etc.

Well, I've been playing as long as anyone, since PPP. I learn things all the time from guides. Plus I can't even usually remember how to play a race I've ignored for a few months. So guides help me recall.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:36 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Plus the type of thinking used in specific strategy guides can give you ideas on other strategies for other nations.

You get some of that from seeing what others throw at you in MP, but since you often can't tell how they got to that point it doesn't help as much.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM

BANNED USER

Not to mention, that guides help you see what other nations are capable of throwing at you.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM

BANNED USER

Hey Baalz

Instead of writing more national guides... for a bit.. how about writing a series of guides on how to attack particular nations.

Niefle, Caelum, Ashdod and Hinnom come to mind, perhaps giving the best common avenues for all races, and then if any individual race has an advantage mention that. (Sauromatia v hinnom for example)
The Following User Says Thank You to chrispedersen For This Useful Post:
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Mmmh, how to do that chris? I think there's an enormous difference between the E9N9 Jarls Niefel and the Niefel of Baalz's guide. As there's a huge difference between a stealthy pangaea and a blessed white centaurs pangaea and a cbm carrion woods pangaea... not to mention the distinctions among all the ways to play sauro (sacreds, cavalry, thugs, blood...)... I think fighting a nation is too situational. The important things are your weapons, when you know these you should know how to react to the enemies' ones (which may vary), not the other way round. Just my opinion
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

If any non-nation guide would be intersting, I had think it would be an anti-sc guide.
Perhaps it would be divided along what magical paths you have got access to, perhaps how to build a thug who tackles SCs well.

What I have often have seen here is that the end-game gets homogenized, no matter what nation you are, and SCs are a part of the game but especially the endgame.

If anyones going to write a guide to counters, I think that's the one to start with.
Would probably help many people. Me especially (I think...)
The Following User Says Thank You to Redeyes For This Useful Post: