World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old July 17th, 2020, 12:16 PM

BANNED USER

MemoryLeak is on a distinguished road
Default Campaign Included?

Hi,

I am an old-timer when it comes to wargames. I bought the original Steel Panthers when it came out many years ago. ANd have played the free version of SPww2 for a long time too. I have a lot of time on my hands now and just bought Winspww2 and Winspmbt.

Okay, so I haven't played it for several years and I have been spending a lot of time reading the manual. One thing I can't find(if it exists) is a campaign that starts for Germany on September 1, 1939. Am I missing something or do I have to generate one from scratch? And if I make a campaign does it automatically fill in scenarios to play?

I would think that it would be as no-brainer to have a complete WW2 campaign included in a WW2 game.

Thanks
Old July 17th, 2020, 01:54 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Campaign Included?

Simply goto the campaigns page and hover the mouse over the button "LONG CAMPAIGN" and read the tool-tip. That should give a little clue, no?

Now click that button, and on the long campaign setup screen, chose your nation and start date (if you don't want the default). And number of battles etc.

Also - in the manual, click on the linky entitled Playing a Campaign and the destructions are tjere for all types of campaign - you want to pay attention to the bits talking about the Long campaign.
Old July 17th, 2020, 02:31 PM

BANNED USER

That is one of the places I started. I wasn't sure(or couldn't remember from years ago) if it generated a progressive series of scenarios to play. ANd I am grinding my way through the manual. Several paragraphs you have to be be psychic(or psychotic) to understand but hopefully things will become clear later on.
Old July 17th, 2020, 03:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The English in our manuals is reasonably clear, IMHO. (But then again, I cut my teeth on the WRG Ancients and other rulesets back in the 70s, "Barkerese" is something special!).
Old July 17th, 2020, 03:27 PM

BANNED USER

it's not the english. YOu live and breath this game. I don't. I can't even deploy the units. I forgot how frustrating and awkward this game could be. I an going to uninstall it. Not worth the aggravation. I should have known better.
Old July 17th, 2020, 09:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryLeak View Post
it's not the english. YOu live and breath this game. I don't. I can't even deploy the units. I forgot how frustrating and awkward this game could be. I an going to uninstall it. Not worth the aggravation. I should have known better.
The Deployment Screen is different from the regular Game Screen. There's a fairly comprehensive section about it in the manual, along with Long and Generated Campaigns. Granted there's a steep learning curve but once on the downhill slope it's usually worth it. Cheers!
Old July 18th, 2020, 08:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryLeak View Post

You don't have to "live and breath this game" to deploy units as thousands of new players have figured out otherwise this particular complaint would have come up more than the ONE time it has.

You select the units you want then press DONE and when the deploy screen appears you can press Human deploy and then simply pick a spot in the map on your side of the deployment line you want to place each unit and click on that hex and that is where the unit will be placed or you can use auto deploy and make adjustments in the same manner.

However, only took from 12:16 PM to 3:27 PM to get from
Quote:
"I haven't played it for several years"
to

Quote:
" I can't even deploy the units. I forgot how frustrating and awkward this game could be. I am going to uninstall it."
In the 20+ years we've been doing this I have NEVER heard any other new player claim "I can't even deploy the units." ......let alone one who claimed in the first post of this thread that had "played the free version of SPww2 for a long time"

which doesn't suggest a whole lot of effort was put in to re-learning the game when there is a tutorial scenario and explanations for that tutorial in the Game guide but you had made 9 posts 12 years ago and the first one included a claim that "units can see 40 hexes and through forests" which is totally absurd and many people tried to help you with your difficulties understanding the game then too but now, it quicky went from "I am new to SPWW2" to " I am just going to mark this down as a lesson learned and move on to a game that is a little more realistic and user friendly."

Back in 2008 you claimed :

Quote:
"I am new to SPWW2. I have played Wargames for 50 years
but your forum profile says DOB is December 24th, 1975. 50 years before your first posts in 2008 is 1958 which means you are claiming you were playing wargames 17 years before you were born

Then, as now you appear to be mearly a troll making claims about percieved shortcomming of the game that NOBODY but you sees.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; July 18th, 2020 at 11:05 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old July 18th, 2020, 12:35 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Technically I think he have to be born in 1943 to be 15 when Tactics came out in 1958. That would put him at 65 in 2008, which means he would be 77 now. But the fact that his birthday is 1975 put him at 45 and not eligible for playing wargames for 50 years but does qualify him for the troll of the year award.
Old July 18th, 2020, 05:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Just for the record, I did not ban him ( though I was prepared to... ) Shrapnel did.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old September 9th, 2020, 10:12 AM

Corporal

georgesedlak is on a distinguished road

I'm 70, and have a whopping good time with this game. Of the many games I own this is my favorite, good job.