Old January 24th, 2018, 05:55 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Error in Abn mtr unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
But SSI did refund my money when I bought one of their games, the WW2 ship combat one, and it was so boring; aim at target, hit space bar to shoot, aim at target, hit space bar. I called and told them it was boring and they refunded me my money...cool.

***BTW - that mortar that won't load is a DF mortar***

What game was that? The only recent SSI game with ships that I can think of (Just woke up) is Fighting Steel, and that was not boring.
Yes FS, I found it boring beyond belief. Then again I find all those FPS games very boring too, but people seem to love them...beats me.
Old January 24th, 2018, 05:59 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Yep........ I was right and should have clued in right away..... the reason the US formation uses those mortars in its para formations is there is NO aircraft with gun lift capability during those years so disregard the comments about any new formation that gives regular mortars to [A] formations that don't have gun lift capability
The French have the Dakota ST which I fortunately bought some of and was able to get my French pack howitzers onto. LC of 128.
Old January 24th, 2018, 06:07 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But SSI did refund my money when I bought one of their games, the WW2 ship combat one, and it was so boring; aim at target, hit space bar to shoot, aim at target, hit space bar. I called and told them it was boring and they refunded me my money...cool.

What game was that? The only recent SSI game with ships that I can think of (Just woke up) is Fighting Steel, and that was not boring.
Yes FS, I found it boring beyond belief. Then again I find all those FPS games very boring too, but people seem to love them...beats me.
fighting Steel is not fps, but ok.
Old January 24th, 2018, 06:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No it is not.

If it shows a mortar Icon it's a "gun" if it shows just the "crew" as infantry it's a DF.

The formation it is in is Para Pl DW[A].....DW indicated it's set up as " detached weapons"...ie a formation that has it support weapons outside the platoon instead of integrated into it.
When opening the unit and looking at the details it is listed as: 60mm DF mortar and indeed only fires direct, cannot be called in by a FOO. The DF stands for direct fire doesn't it? If there are two classes of direct fire (gun class vs crew class) only then they will have to be distinguished somehow.

Thanks for the explanation about carrying, I did know that already but very helpful to anyone else who may be following this thread.
This OOB was reworked some years ago with the DW formations added. This is the first complaint....maybe your the first one to use it.....IDK but right now I can see one of two things has happened--- he has either assigned the wrong weapon to that unit OR the wrong unitclass .

So.......sometime before the next release I will dust off my crystal ball and try to figure out what the intent was and what the error is..... all I did was see the mortar Icon and that's the sign it's an indirect class but something's been mixed up and I will sort out what it is

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; January 24th, 2018 at 06:45 PM..
Old January 24th, 2018, 06:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:
Yep........ I was right and should have clued in right away..... the reason the US formation uses those mortars in its para formations is there is NO aircraft with gun lift capability during those years so disregard the comments about any new formation that gives regular mortars to [A] formations that don't have gun lift capability
The French have the Dakota ST which I, fortunately, bought some of and was able to get my French pack howitzers onto. LC of 128.

Very good you have now justified why we jumped through all those hoops to PREVENT exactly what you did...pack howitzers onto an aicraft that should never have them loaded into...now I have something else to fix though a quick look at that OOB seems to show they were deliberately set up that way from the beginning at least 15 years ago for formation 153 and since I have zero interest in tearing that OOB apart to " fix" something that's existed in this way for a decade an a half all I can say is " have fun"...... but I will sort out the issue with the CDN para mortars....it's looking like this way a wrong unitclass but I will dig deeper tomorrow

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; January 24th, 2018 at 07:02 PM..
Old January 24th, 2018, 08:12 PM

Sergeant

I did some searching, and although they are called "PARA" they were actually loaded onto gliders and would come in after the para infantry secured the DZ. They were airborne though and delivered via air, just not parachute airborne.
Old January 24th, 2018, 08:19 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

fighting Steel is not fps, but ok.
I know FS is not a FPS, I was saying that I found it boring whereas you enjoy it; just like so many like Call of Duty which I find boring, to each his own eh. I enjoy War in the East even though, complexity wise and horrible manual wise, it makes SP look like a little kid game and many people find it much too complex, as I did for quite a bit. But after playing 200 turns and crushing Germany in Sept 1944 I like it very much. Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weasel For This Useful Post:
Old January 24th, 2018, 08:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
I did some searching, and although they are called "PARA" they were actually loaded onto gliders and would come in after the para infantry secured the DZ. They were airborne though and delivered via air, just not parachute airborne.
What unit are you referring to?

Old January 24th, 2018, 08:30 PM

Sergeant

Default Sorry, but one other thing need tweaking?

Playing my turn and the 81mm DF can only move 1 hex at a time cross country, speed 3. The 50cal HMG can move 2 hexes cross country (speed 4). The 81 mortar, complete, weighs 89 pounds whereas the M2 browning 50cal complete weighs 128 pounds. Each has 4 men per tube/mg so that isn't a difference.

Yeah I know, you are rolling your eyes and going "oh brother" but the 81 should have the same speed as the 50% heavier MG.

Sorry
Old January 24th, 2018, 08:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

ok.....this is getting old......which oob are we referring to ?? if you are going to comment at least be clear.

There is one ( 1 ) "DF" mortar in the CDN OOB weapon list and it's a 60mm all the 81 mm mortars are normal indirect fire units and all have a movement speed of 2 so what OOB are you looking at ?

It cannot be the US OOB as their 81 mm DF's have a movement of 3. This thread has jumped around topics so much IDK WTF is being discussed so once I know for sure which OOB you were last referring to done with this

Last edited by DRG; January 24th, 2018 at 08:49 PM..