Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old April 9th, 2011, 02:45 AM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road
Default Volksgrenadier question

I was setting up a random battle for 1945 and was looking through the Volksgrenadier units available. I have a couple of questions / suggestions:

1:
The unit seems to be based on the "sturm zug" idea where two squads have light automatics with one more traditional rifle squad, however, as far as I know, the platoon would have 2 MG42 available in the rifle squad, whereas the formation in the game only seems to have 1.

2:
The rifle+MG squad seems to be equipped with MG34. Although there was plenty of old kit being used, I imagine most of these units would still have had MG42's. Maybe make both an option?

3:
Any chance of getting two choices for the "sturm" squads? One with STG44 as the primary weapon slot and one with MP40 as the primary?
Not all sturm units managed to get equipped with the new rifles, and the TO&E's (I forget the german term) doesn't distinguish that closely between the stg and mp40.

Thank you for reading. If these aren't practical due to too many units or the change is felt as too insignificant, obviously thats understandable

Ivan
Old April 9th, 2011, 04:32 AM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Volksgrenadier question

About the MP40/StG44 distinction: The first German TOE (I think it's the one from June 1944) does indeed call for the squad to be eqipped with "machine pistols". However, at the time the StG44 was still officially called MP44. Obviously this caused some confusion, so in the updated version from November they changed the name from "MP-Zug" to "Sturm-Zug" and referred to the StG44 in the document. In my opinion the assault platoon was always meant to be equipped with StG44s as the primary infantry weapon. If normal smgs were substituted, this was hardly done at a big level, because production of the MP40 was scaled back considerably in the same time period (in fact, the German army received more Beretta smgs in 1945 than MP40s).
Other than that you are right though: Normally there owuld be 2 assault platoons per company, having two squads with only assault rifles, and one with assault rifles and two lmgs. The third platoon would have a normal rifle troop setup (at least in the November version of the toe).