World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old October 8th, 2006, 05:40 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

Quote:
Wade said:
I am not sorry though. I am an American that mentioned an American show in regards to an American game on an American site(I think...?) utilizing the internet, an American made technology.

Yes, you can put the flag down now. This is an international community, and always has been. Apology accepted BTW =-)

Quote:

"You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time."

Even if it had been a US-only site, a spoiler warning would still have been appropriate. (And spoiler warnings *do* actually please all the people all the time. )

Quote:

I just finished watching the two hour season opener of Battlestar Galactica. I can easily post some interesting events of the show here. All you would have to do is take a glance...I won't though. I'm not inconsiderate like that. Even though some will think I am for my "American" comments.

Just flag the thread or post with the word "spoiler" and an indication fof what is being spoiled and ppl can make up their own minds whether to read it or not.

Quote:

I also watched the new episode of the British show, 'Doctor Who'. Nicely done episode. Though I missed how the doctor is a different actor now. Will this happen much?

Yeah, the Doctor has been played by at least 8 or 10 different actors over the years. They invented a handy plot device to explain it, whereby the Doctor (being an alien timelord who just happens to look human) regenerates every now and again, getting a whole new body and (to a certain extent) a new personality.

[/quote]
So is the British showing of 'Doctor Who' ahead of America? Or has an American company bought it out?

[/quote]

I think you are on the same series as us, if you've just seen the doctor regenerate. However, they are advertising a Dr Who spin-off over here now, "Torchwood", which will probably hit the screens soon.

I believe it's all owned and produced by the BBC. I very much doubt they'll ever be selling the rights to Dr Who, it's been one of their most popular and characteristic products for 4 decades now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_who

Quote:
May peace be with you.
You too.
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Corporal

Ludd is on a distinguished road

Dogscoff, nice post.
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The ability to specify if a hull can have weapons or not. This way when you design a resource ship, people won't load them full of weapons early in the game to have uber ships.
This is already doable, and trivial. Look for my thread "mod out lcx as early game warship" to see how.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:51 AM

Sergeant

Spectarofdeath is on a distinguished road

I'd like to have a 4th resource, money, strictly for trading purposes, I know some ppl are for this, some aren't, I just think money (which as we all know, runs everything) should be in the game. Yes, I know the resources count and everything, I just think that having a money source would be good. Honestly, I would love to have merchants (yes I know just make a ship with resource generating components, but does the ship have to move to generate them? no, so whats the point?) and be able to attack enemy shipping.
Also, I noticed that the warp points have "sizes" mainly 10,000 kt, wondering if this means that only certain size ships can use certain warp points....if this is not the case that is definitly something that would be cool to see.
Old November 4th, 2006, 03:46 AM

Sergeant

thorfrog is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that this topic will make little difference. Most ideas I've seen mentioned here over the years were ignored in SEV.
Old November 4th, 2006, 04:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thorfrog said:
It seems to me that this topic will make little difference. Most ideas I've seen mentioned here over the years were ignored in SEV.
I would say the word ignored is a bit missleading. Aaron had a huge huge list of things, he did use a lot of our suggestions but since he is only one guy, and has no programing staff, many great ideas just couldn't be acted upon. We had hoped that with the joining of malfador and SFI, Aaron would get some programing help. Unfortunetly that didn't seem to occur. As for the suggestions in this huge - mega huge, list, chances are the ideas will never be realized at any level.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but one can always learn to program for ones self and then make their own game.
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

As far as I can tell, Aaron didn't even get any code monkeys to do regression testing for him.

This is still a good place to post ideas... the best ones may be picked up by the community.

Just beware of ideas that sound good on the surface, but have horrible repercussions on gameplay...
Old November 4th, 2006, 11:34 PM

Sergeant

thorfrog is on a distinguished road

That's my point, this thread should really be called wishfull thinking or posts of dreams. This seems to be the same way things went down for MOO3. The developers for that product stated they where listing to the fans and when it came to for the game to release it was anything but what was expected. What SEV could have been. Well at least SEIV is easy to mod.
Old November 4th, 2006, 11:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

The thing is throfrog, Aaron did listen to us. The problem is, unlike with the developers of Moo3 who had tremendous resources and a huge team backing them, Aaron is just one guy funding the project on his own and doing all the programming hismelf. So it stands to reason that many of the excellent ideas didn't make it in. You never know, he still has the list and might at some point in the future be able to add some to the game in a patch or perhaps even in an expansion pack.
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:41 AM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thorfrog said:
That's my point, this thread should really be called wishfull thinking or posts of dreams. This seems to be the same way things went down for MOO3. The developers for that product stated they where listing to the fans and when it came to for the game to release it was anything but what was expected. What SEV could have been. Well at least SEIV is easy to mod.
I for one am getting mighty fed up with the MOO3 comparisons. Yes they're both 4X games. Yes they were both released buggy. And? That's it. Jumping around and claiming the same thing that happened to MOO3 is going to happen to SE5 (because they're the same genre?) is a slap in the face to Aaron and all the hard work he's put into his games. Consider the fact that the original release of SE4 was v1.02, and the most recent version is 1.94. Do I need to do the math for you? That's a hell of a lot more patching than most games, let alone MOO3, ever get. And a lot of those patches didn't have anything to do with fixing bugs, they had to do with adding features that the community had asked for!
Next time, take a bit more time to think before spouting off like this.