.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Philosophy on Strategy Guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes View Post
You'll usually see statements such as "use your sacreds to expand", but nothing about how to script them or which commander to use. Those guides would be for the intermediate player, who knows how to apply useful and concentrated information into their ordinary gameplay.
The problem then is that some would call it a tutorial. We do have a thread label for tutorial. I think as far as this thread goes we might be talking about tutorial, guide, and tips. Maybe FAQ. But even then we seem to be lacking enough labels for everyone.
So there's no strategy in scripting?
Or even in buying a cheap commander early, or leading with a mage to use the battlefield spells you will soon have researched?

Perhaps you are speaking broad strokes, which is what I'm thinking right now, where Strategy Guides should be general advice and guidelines instead of formulas for "this is the best way to expand and win"?

Just asking because I think your stance could be expanded on. It feels as if you like a Socratic kind of guide, where the "teacher" has a dialog with the student so he can find his own way of approaching the problem.

That's just one kind of guide to me, though quite useful I sometimes like something more comprehensive "tutorial"-like, and sometimes just a near numerical analysis so I can see exactly why jotun skinshifters lose to blessed jaguar warriors with certain backup.
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissBlade View Post
I'm not too convinced by that argument. How can you rate something as "best mp guide" when earlier you, yourself mentioned that under your opinion, there is no "best" of anything because of variables?
Your right. I wanted to put "best mp guides" in quotes.
But I didnt want to give the impression that I was saying they werent great guides. The general consensus here on what the best guides are probably should be considered as best guides.

I just wanted to point out that it doesnt mean best for everyone. Im against trying to limit the definition.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaOfEffect View Post
Recently, a player commented on a new guide of mine. The comment implied that I had not written a guide to the nation, but rather a strategy that happened to be specific to that nation.

...My philosophy now is to avoid writing everything there is to write and instead put forth a focused cohesive strategy. Not only that, but make it a point to slim the strategy down to the minimum of what is needed to make it work.
I'm pretty sure I am the player that made this comment, and I really did not intend to crawl under your skin at all. <3

All I meant, was that when I think of "Guide", I think of something that at least goes into detail about the basics - your standard description of the basic strengths and weaknesses of the nation, description of units and commanders, that sort of thing.

I didn't mean to detract in any way by stating that I didn't see your strategy post as a guide per se, it was simply that you had focused only on the mechanics that you wanted to highlight, and that's perfectly fine. I just see a guide sitting down and explaining the differences in recruitable types first, so you have a quick reference as to the various capabilities of the Caelian troops for example, rather than only specific mention of map move or armor in the context of why you are using those units a specific way, as opposed to other units.

It had nothing to do with the fact that I have a very divergent over-arching strategy worked out (that I AM kind of proud of, just as I think you should be proud of your own work with Caelum), because regardless of how you use the tools provided with the nation, you are still using the same tools. It's just that your description of how to build a rocking chair, didn't start with an assessment of the various tools available to a woodworker, but rather only described them in the context of the project that you were displaying.

I for one like your strategies, and think you're an excellent player, but my respect for you won't change my own semantic differentiation between a Guide, and a Strategy.
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM

Major

AreaOfEffect is on a distinguished road

@ Jim - You didn't crawl under my skin at all. I love you Jim. In that I-don't-know-you-but-I-always-love-to-hear-what-you-have-to-say sort of way. See, now I'm trying hard to dispel any sort of creepy vibe I might be giving off.

Rather, I was originally just going to say that it's a strategy guide and not a nation guide and that a true nation guide could not be made. It then evolved into something larger and I just wanted to make a discussion out of it. I understand your point-of-view, but I feel I did address most of the units in one way or the other. Some I felt needed no introduction.

By the way, I can't wait to see what you've cooked up.
Guide Supplement: LA Man - Castle Warfare
Referance: Prophet Transformations
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Sorry,

Failed my MR against 'creepy vibe' =)
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
You don't need a strategy guide then, you need a thread with silly idea's which could be usefull.. there is a differce, I think a strat guide should help you in SP (which most fun idea's could do) but also in MP (which is a bit more demanding)
I wasn't even considering SP. I think it's usually assumed that if someone's writing a guide, it can be used in MP. SP-only strat guides usually have some sort of disclaimer attached.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaOfEffect View Post
@ Jim - You didn't crawl under my skin at all. I love you Jim. In that I-don't-know-you-but-I-always-love-to-hear-what-you-have-to-say sort of way. See, now I'm trying hard to dispel any sort of creepy vibe I might be giving off.

I am sitting here staring at this window, thinking of a million amusing things I could say right now. But for once I will resist making 12 people cringe in the pursuit of getting 3 people to laugh.

And anyway, I am pretty comfortable with my sexuality. I am Unisexual, in that, I only have sex with the Universe. So you can say what you want, love you too man.

Oh, and hey Chris. What are you wearing right now?
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:52 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

This thread certainly got a lot weirder ...
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM

Sergeant

RamsHead is on a distinguished road

It is those damned Void Spectres I tell you.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:48 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

OK. I am completely disturbed by this thread.