.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 15th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Master of Magic 2 - now looking quite likely

Kind of surprised me, more info here .
Old July 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

Thilock_Dominus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Master of Magic 2 - now looking quite likely

YES!...Great news
MOM 1 was one of my Favorites in the past, I hope they don't screw MOM2 up, like Quicksilver did with Master Of Orion 3.

Edit: Star Dock did a survey and polls to see if there was an interest among star docks fans and ofcause there was

[ July 15, 2004, 15:47: Message edited by: Thilock_Dominus ]

Nosophoros: The Vampire Lords - v1.02
Conquest of Elysium 3 GUI mods
Old July 15th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Sergeant

reverend is on a distinguished road

StarDock did a great job with GalCiv, if they make a MoM2, I'm looking forward to it.

Old July 15th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

City-building and diplomacy, both features of games like the Civ-series, are the only things I can recall that MoM had that Dom 2 doesn't. Plus there are tons of MoM-like games already on the market (Dom2, AoW, Warlords, etc.). It's too bad Stardock already has their own 4X space game GalCiv, because if they wanted to do the gaming community a real big favor, they should buy the MOO license from Atari, instead of the MoM license, and fix all the bugs in MOO3 (or better yet, scrap it and make a MOO4).
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Sergeant

Blitz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
MOM 1 was one of my Favorites in the past, I hope they don't screw MOM2 up, like Quicksilver did with Master Of Orion 3.
Hillarious, I was thinking the same thing. God did I ever try to like MOO3. I literally worked at trying to like it. In the end, it was just a steaming pile of donkey refuse. Same goes for UFO or whatever that supposed X-Com remake was. What it was was garbage. Consider yourself lucky. StarDock has one good game under their belt. I didn't like GalCiv, but it seems like I was one of the only TBS nuts who didn't so they must have gotten something right.

Take pity on my BELOVED Jagged Alliance series. First, Sirtech goes tits up, then the franchise is purchaced by infamous garbage-spewer Strategy First, who oh by the way just layed off everyone and fired the whole JA legacy team. Then they hand the whole kit and kaboodle over to an unknown russian developer, who don't seem to have anyone on staff who speaks english. Actually to call them unknown would be generous, as they are best-known for a horrible piece of trash cyberpunk game whose name escapes me. To make things worse? TWO DAYS after the 2-year development program is announced, they RELEASE SCREENSHOTS. Yes in two days, they managed to get a working alpha going and post screens on the webpage. Seems they are using the "engine" of another TBS to kick start their process. I've never heard of a TBS using an engine from an existing game before. This ought to be interesting.
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:12 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Says they need only 5000 votes to proceed with Master of Magic_2 !
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

Thilock_Dominus is on a distinguished road

I've already registred to give my vote

Quote:
City-building and diplomacy, both features of games like the Civ-series, are the only things I can recall that MoM had that Dom 2 doesn't. Plus there are tons of MoM-like games already on the market (Dom2, AoW, Warlords, etc.). It's too bad Stardock already has their own 4X space game GalCiv, because if they wanted to do the gaming community a real big favor, they should buy the MOO license from Atari, instead of the MoM license, and fix all the bugs in MOO3 (or better yet, scrap it and make a MOO4).
Another thing that MOM had that dom2 havn't is you move with your units like the civ games and had underground world too (which also can be found in the AOW series).
I didn't like galciv so I agree that the should have bought he rights to MOO instead of building Galciv, but I'm looking forward to see what Star Dock got in mind with MOM2, perhaps they surprise us all?

best regards
Thilock

Nosophoros: The Vampire Lords - v1.02
Conquest of Elysium 3 GUI mods
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Actually there have been, and still are, many efforts to create a MoM2. I think SourceForge has 2 or 3 open source MoM projects on it. I check that rallypoint site often to see how things are going. The problem with most of them is that they try to "improve" it. One of the most common things is adding multiplayer to it. Thats not easy. And its not just the coding headaches. Its that too much of what made MoM so popular is tied into the randoms which multiplayers hate. Equal races, equal starting positions, equalized maps, are good for MP but not for SP. Everytime they try to MP it they end up with Age of Wonders.

StarDock (the makers of GalCiv) are now interested in doing MoM2. That wouldnt be bad. They excell in AI's, and have said they will hold true to MoM only improving the graphics and AI. IF they keep to that then I think they might make it, and I would probably buy it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Blitz:
I didn't like GalCiv, but it seems like I was one of the only TBS nuts who didn't so they must have gotten something right.
I didn't like it either, although not because of the gameplay: I disliked it because of the intermittent crashing bugs combined with the fact that trying to even download a bloody patch was like trying to perform root canal in the field with a butter knife.

Quote:
Take pity on my BELOVED Jagged Alliance series. First, Sirtech goes tits up, then the franchise is purchaced by infamous garbage-spewer Strategy First, who oh by the way just layed off everyone and fired the whole JA legacy team. Then they hand the whole kit and kaboodle over to an unknown russian developer, who don't seem to have anyone on staff who speaks english. Actually to call them unknown would be generous, as they are best-known for a horrible piece of trash cyberpunk game whose name escapes me. To make things worse? TWO DAYS after the 2-year development program is announced, they RELEASE SCREENSHOTS.
OH, TROGDOR! I PINE FOR YOU!
Old July 15th, 2004, 09:04 PM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Excellent news! GalCiv was very good, although a little bit too "dry" for my taste to prevent it being absolutely perfect IMO. But it was a great game nevertheless, and it had one of the best AI I ever encountered in the strategic game, and I have played a lot.

If they will take MoM1, add nice graphic and great AI, and perhaps add few interesting features into it, it'll be THE GAME in my book.

We will have to wait and see how it'll go, but these news are certanly sound very promising.