.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM

Corporal

DigitalSin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Current other active game software

Right now I'm playing

Dwarf Fortress
The occasional spot of Wesnoth
Sometimes I play a spot of FPS games
Company of Heroes (Only recently)
Incursion: Halls of the Goblin King

amongst others..
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:09 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atreidi said:
I am currently playing:

Civilization IV
POXNORA
Space Empires IV
SPace Empires III
Oblivion (I neve quite finished it)
Currently looking for a good MMO that is not WOW.
I've tried Vanguard, LOTRO, Lineage II, and Star Wars but I've stayed with none
unfortunately, there is no good MMO right now. corps saw that it was like crack, and all rushed to make a hit MMO, all going with the least risky formulas available, and thus all created WoWish clones that completely suck. WoW sucks, but at least it is quality suck; try and clone it with less money and you just suck.

GuildWars is OK though, and I would probably say is the best MMO out there, if you must have one. its PvE is doodoo though; its PvP is the whole reason to play. However, its PvP is so snobbish that its impossible to really be able to get into without making a second job out of it, thus it degrades to the least common factor that has made all MMOs complete garbage: you have to schedule your life around them.

EVE is also worthwhile, and has also has top-notch PvP and even economic PvP. Characters also grow while offline, and it is on the whole a little less snobbish. However, it is point and click, which doesn't work for me (especially inn outerspace), and the grindless growth, while a great idea, takes a year to develop and you are stuck in the meantime doing menial crap.

World of Warhammer looks like it might be fun, and seems to promise the large scale battlefield PvP that allows players to engage in fun PvP without having to dedicate their lives to a game in order to access a good PvP guild.

Actually, I'd suggest Continuum, the Metal Gear Solid room, for fun online action. log in, kill, capture some flags, talk [censored]; log out. Just that simple. It is fun. That is why after all these years, despite the presence of commercial MMO's; Continuum still thrives. Its just fun.

edit: also, alot of potentially fun MMOs pickd up Korean micro-payment model, because they noticed that you can make a half-assed game that ppl wouldn't pay for, but will in the end pay more to have something other ppl can't. It's /*[censored]*/ stupid becuase ppl are /*[censored]*/ stupid, but thats life. Just play dominions.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:32 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Yes I still play stars sometimes but just solo. It processes fast so it makes a nice change from the kindof hosting I get from Dominions in the huge solo games I play with it.

For my "roguelike" fix I host a MUD on one of my servers. Its a text MMO based on Shadowdale. The address is play.sdmud.org 7777 if anyone can still figure out telnet or dig up a telnet client.

For the people wondering why SEIV (Space Empires IV) keeps showing up, in many ways its a space version of Dominions. Not quite so deep on the strategy, but abit better on the modding. It started out rather weak (8 empires) but players drove it to over 300 empires you could play besides driving the maps much larger, the image file turned huge, and added more techs. It was hosted here at the time, and the forums for it are still here.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:48 AM

First Lieutenant

sum1lost is on a distinguished road

Spore CC, MTW 2, CS:S, Fallout Tactics, UT 2004 and thats been it for the past year, though I have other games installed.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:57 AM

First Lieutenant

Cor2 is on a distinguished road

Dwarf fortress, Astro Empires, Pardus, Incursion, SEIV

more Dwarf fortress. Seriously, love that game...
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:04 AM

First Lieutenant

Cor2 is on a distinguished road

so apparently there is a large section of dominions fans that are ASCII fans. Maybe Dominions 4 should be in ASCII
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Gal Civ 2 is about it for me. Just got the new expansion, but I haven't played it much, though it looks promising.

I haven't played an mmo since I quit Wow a few years ago, but Eve sounds tempting, and Warhammer even more so.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:28 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

What do people think of SEV compared to SEIV? I was contemplating buying one of them at some point (maybe when I've finished my PhD).
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:45 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
Quote:
Atreidi said:
I am currently playing:

Civilization IV
POXNORA
Space Empires IV
SPace Empires III
Oblivion (I neve quite finished it)
Currently looking for a good MMO that is not WOW.
I've tried Vanguard, LOTRO, Lineage II, and Star Wars but I've stayed with none
unfortunately, there is no good MMO right now. corps saw that it was like crack, and all rushed to make a hit MMO, all going with the least risky formulas available, and thus all created WoWish clones that completely suck. WoW sucks, but at least it is quality suck; try and clone it with less money and you just suck.

GuildWars is OK though, and I would probably say is the best MMO out there, if you must have one. its PvE is doodoo though; its PvP is the whole reason to play. However, its PvP is so snobbish that its impossible to really be able to get into without making a second job out of it, thus it degrades to the least common factor that has made all MMOs complete garbage: you have to schedule your life around them.

EVE is also worthwhile, and has also has top-notch PvP and even economic PvP. Characters also grow while offline, and it is on the whole a little less snobbish. However, it is point and click, which doesn't work for me (especially inn outerspace), and the grindless growth, while a great idea, takes a year to develop and you are stuck in the meantime doing menial crap.

World of Warhammer looks like it might be fun, and seems to promise the large scale battlefield PvP that allows players to engage in fun PvP without having to dedicate their lives to a game in order to access a good PvP guild.

Actually, I'd suggest Continuum, the Metal Gear Solid room, for fun online action. log in, kill, capture some flags, talk [censored]; log out. Just that simple. It is fun. That is why after all these years, despite the presence of commercial MMO's; Continuum still thrives. Its just fun.

edit: also, alot of potentially fun MMOs pickd up Korean micro-payment model, because they noticed that you can make a half-assed game that ppl wouldn't pay for, but will in the end pay more to have something other ppl can't. It's /*[censored]*/ stupid becuase ppl are /*[censored]*/ stupid, but thats life. Just play dominions.
Guild Wars was great fun. Me JK and JO played it a lot. Mostly PvP. Got quite good at it. You don't need to be that good by yourself if you play with reliable people and voice communication.

We are trying Age of Conan now. Quite fun and beautiful, but still lots of early bugs and annoying stuff. Not as WoWish as Lotro was, but more so than GW.

JO recently discovered Desktop Defender at kongregate.com. Strangely addictive online flash game.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:16 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Is that Desktop Tower Defense? Oh my god that's addictive. Great game though.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs