.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 18th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Corporal

Methel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Mod: Insectoids

Great mod

Why should we have death 1 though?
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

The Insectoids eat people among other supplies. Also, they dont leave any food for local population.
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Corporal

Methel is on a distinguished road

ah, so its thematic "only"?

Sofar Im enjoying you're mod immensly.

Its quite strong, yet somehow ponderus in its expansion. That might be in part becouse I dont use food as soldiers.

It might also be becouse I script the females to shift shape in the first turn for divine blessing
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Captain

Quote:
It might also be becouse I script the females to shift shape in the first turn for divine blessing
I do that for sieges. I would advise you to use more than 1 Female to lead your troops (I use 3-4), and only change 1 for battle when you really need too.

Quote:
Its quite strong, yet somehow ponderus in its expansion. That might be in part becouse I dont use food as soldiers.

I play with Death 3 so I'm out of money for most of the game. That makes the use of indy troops a non viable alternative to national summons.

Quote:
ah, so its thematic "only"?
The use of Death scales should also solve the problem of an extremely powerful local defense.

Oups, forgot to add #nodeathsupply. The download link has been updated.
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

I have a real life friend that loves this race Amos. Though
I have not had a chance to play it yet, I have seen him play it. No clue why some people are too shy to give feedback to the authors of the mods they play(:
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Private

NiknudStunod is on a distinguished road

Bringing this thread back from the dead......

I have been playing around with this nation for the last several days and I honestly feel it is much to strong compared to all other early era nations.

The ability to expand and to do it quickly means you can start laying the foundation of a high dominion very early. This nation relies on dominion and only dominion. The fact you don't need to put any money into troop build up means lots and lots of temples. Even if you were to start at 1 dominion for your hive queen you would have no problem increasing that to 5-8 in under 100 turns.

Now the creator says to set it to 1 death at the start of the game. Now here is where we hit the double edged sword.
1 death is honestly not enough. I found myself with almost 10,000 gold almost 40 turns in. This was with me making a lab and a temple in each province I took over as well boosting the local defense of each province up to 20. Now if I do what the creator does and boost it up to 3 death I pretty much am setting up a death warrant for every other nation I am going up against. Being a nation that relies on its dominion I will have a easy time taking over the empty provinces vacated of population. To top it off since it costs me nothing to produce massive amount of troops I can simply turtle it with high defense and taking over the weak points.

Local defense is the last thing I want to touch upon. There are 2 reasons why I think local defense should be disabled with this nation. The first is with money being as plentiful as it is for this nation it isn't hard to have almost no weak points. As soon as you take a province you can boost the defense to 30-40 then work on getting a lab and temple up. The second thing is the troops used are much to powerful. It wasn't uncommon for a local defense of 30 to hold off a invading army of 60-70 and almost completely wiping them out.

I had some fun playing this nation but with what I see as imbalance I really can't see myself playing it much in the future.
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Captain

Quote:
Local defense is the last thing I want to touch upon. There are 2 reasons why I think local defense should be disabled with this nation. The first is with money being as plentiful as it is for this nation it isn't hard to have almost no weak points. As soon as you take a province you can boost the defense to 30-40 then work on getting a lab and temple up. The second thing is the troops used are much to powerful. It wasn't uncommon for a local defense of 30 to hold off a invading army of 60-70 and almost completely wiping them out.

I agree with you here. It doesnt make sense to pay money for insect defense. I'm going to make two units of weak Insect worshipers to act as a defense force.
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road

insect groupies?
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:08 PM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road

I liked this mod a lot as well, bit stingy in the beginning but a juggernaut once rolling. Does it have a starting site? Mine never did and I was wondering if there was a conflict somewhere.

Research and blood hunting are both difficult to get started in any large capacity, but once rolling both are significant.

I haven't played these guys with a bless yet, are they that much overpowered when doing so?

I really wanted that amosapocolpse game to go off to see how they did in an MP setting.
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM

Captain

They are all sacred so high bless strategy would be prudent.

"amosapocolpse"?