.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
Where is the blood?
We're harvesting it, silly.
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:51 PM

BANNED USER

May we have a 6 hour delay?
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:17 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

I've asked Gandalf to put an extra 8 hours on the clock since for some reason we've still got a large number of turns outstanding. Let's remember the words of encouragement that were offered by our patron saint, Lingchih, on these occasions "Get those turns in, you worthless slackers!"

I've decided to allow Captains to choose a moniker/cognomen/title after their usernames if they wish, just for fun, which will be reflected on the roster in our opening post. Acceptable examples include but are not limited to:

DrPraetorious "The Evil Doctor"
Agema "The Noble"
Chrispedersen "King of Curmudgeons"
Algae Nymph "Baron of the Brave"

Or any of your favorite pretender cognomens.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; January 13th, 2010 at 01:41 AM..
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:26 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

I now I perceive it is time to begin publishing my Thread Bumper Interview Series, an exclusive and inside look at the Noobs and Vets world told through the eyes of some of it's leading personalities:

"Recently, I had an opportunity to sit down with the venerable Gandalf Parker, designer of the incredible AI opponents used in the NaV series and the admin of the Dom3Minions server which hosts the series. Gandalf was gracious enough to take few moments out of his busy schedule to answer a few questions.

Q: Gandalf, how do you think the AI is/has fared in this game overall? Has it lived up to your expectations?

A: Keeping in mind that its the first level of a planned three tier game, then yes. The first level of AI was basically built around player level to give some of the newer players a feel for what its like to play against a designed AI.

Q: Do you think AI opponents are tougher to beat than say static level 9 indies? If so, why?

A: Yes, because the AI has more options. Primarily the ability to use multiple provinces to its advantage. That would of course be static AI vs static Indies. The game has the ability to boost the indies as much as it does to boost the AI players. Designed independent provinces can be quite rough.

Q: It has been leaked to the press that the third game in the series will be subtitled 'The Wrath of Gandalf' and will be without a doubt the toughest game in the series. You have been quoted as saying that you plan on 'getting medieval' on the players buttocks in that game. Is this true and can players expect any mercy from the AI in game 3?

A: Not me! The AI.
Im pretty non-competitive. But being asked to program the killer AI allows me to free my dark side. There are many features about the game and the AI which can only be accessed this way. The 3rd game will definitely be an example of as many of those as I can logically fit into it. MUAHahahahaha! * evil laugh *

Thank you for your time, Gandalf, I am sure everyone appreciates your contributions to the Dom3 online community.

Thank you for bringing this to me. Its been awhile since anyone requested anything interesting. I know I could get more traffic if I had a menu but Id rather people considered the full range of the game and got creative. Thanks again for this one."

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; January 13th, 2010 at 01:42 AM..
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:43 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

tsk, tsk. Yomi, helheim, you're about to stale.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM

BANNED USER

Gandalf, Sept.

I like the update of the status so that it now shows
Copy x of x for early arcocephale. But I'm guessing (hoping) that you indended something more like.. copy 2/2?

I can't think of any time that it won't be the last number of a series being used... So wouldn't simply saying arco version X be slightly better?
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I didnt do that.

That showed up on the report because someone made a copy of the file on their machine called that then sent it in. Since it wasnt named the same, it didnt overwrite the real 2h file. It would have created another "16 of 16 received" and another rollback situation except that we hit the forced-host timeout first.

It also probably did not process for the game so if that was meant to be the actual actions Im afraid they did not process. The file previously in place called early_arcosphale.2h did
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

God chris, your gem income has burst through the roof of your castle and is spilling out onto the hovels of your peasants. You should write a book, "101 Ways to Find Gems and Crush the Peasantry".
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:41 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

Ugh, the wages of arrogance!

I was afraid Saur was going to try something like that, and I would've won if I'd waited a turn or two. Very foolish on my part to walk into that trap.

Anyway - this gives me credibility! It's team ACHOO that is the great threat. Kill them all!
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:58 AM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
God chris, your gem income has burst through the roof of your castle and is spilling out onto the hovels of your peasants. You should write a book, "101 Ways to Find Gems and Crush the Peasantry".
Yes, we actually do pave the streets with pure gold here in Mictlanville. I actually just got around do doing some site searching..

Sadly, I'm still behind two of your team mates......
Apparently they use rubies....