.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 8th, 2008, 02:30 AM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road
Default mod help?

I am trying to finish a mod my friend wrote when he borrowed dominions for a while, but I am having some issues.
At first the mod had no sacred units, so I modded the #holy command in on a couple units, and it worked. However, when I tried to add a priest, he wouldn't show up in the recruitment screen. I don't currently have a way to do sprites, so I was trying to just clone one of the other commander sprites from the nation, but it would not show up. I am also trying to reduce the resources on a couple of the units, but I can't seem to make it work. I have tried changing the units' #rcost, their armor's #rcost, and their weapons' #rcost. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to change the version number?

Also, I would appreciate it if people would tell me what programs they use to edit and view sprites.
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:53 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: mod help?

For the priest. When you made it, did you just create the unit data, or did you also use the #addreccom command for it?

I am not entirely sure about the resource problem, could you show examples of what you did so we can see if there's anything wrong? One thing that can affect a unit's resource cost is the ressize of the unit, basically the game automatically makes units take more resources if they're larger but you can change what size it is considered as with that command. But I don't see how the resource cost could be unaffected by your changing the cost of its armor unless it didn't require anything to begin with.
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:52 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Editing sprites, GIMP. Vieving them, Irfanview (uses much less resources on the PC).

You need to modify the nation's list of recruitable units to get the priest to show. That's in the nation modding section of the modding manual.
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I find the program that comes with the computer to be pretty good for editing sprites.
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Well I ended up downloading Gale and that works for Sprite editing. Thanks for the catch on th #addreccom command, I think that's what I was missing. As for the resource cost, it seemed to fix itself when I started exiting Dominions entirely and then restarting. It got very annoying, is there a way to change the mod without having to go back and forth like that?
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Load a game with different mods, then exit that and reload the modded game. That initializes the changes.