.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM

Private

SilverElf4 is on a distinguished road
Default One Map Question, One Mod Question

Heya,

I hate to be the noob asking questions to which there are already answers floating around, so I've gone through this site a good bit, but haven't found what I was looking for. So hopefully you guys can fill in the blanks for me.

On the Mod question - I'd like to try out a game where all the spells are available from the start - no research needed. As best I can tell, I would have to go in an create a mod file that dropped each and every spell to level 0 to accomplish this. Is there a better or less time consuming way to carry this out?

On the Map question - I've tried importing a few of my favorite map files to the game, but whenever I do, I get either one province pole with nothing else to connect to, or a host of province markers clustered in the bottom corner of a map. How do I move those marker poles, create new ones, and generally manipulate them?

Thanks for any help you can give. I love how active and skilled this forum is, and look forward to trying some of your creations out.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One Map Question, One Mod Question

MOD:
Someone could write a script to generate a mod like that. Im not sure if spells can be referred to by number the way that units and magic sites and such can. If it can then a script can just count thru them and write the commands to zero the level.

MAP:
To import maps from other games you need to be aware of two things.

Dominions uses the brightest white to mark the center of each province, and uses red to recognize borders.

So firstly, make sure that the map you are importing has no white (255,255,255) but you can just shift all white spots to a bright silver or grey. Most paint programs have an option to replace all of one color with another. Then, place ONE little white pixel in each spot that you want to be a province.

The border thing isnt too important. You can actually have a map with no border lines at all. But if you do want the map editor program in dominions to try and find the neighbors then you should ad red to whatever color you use for marking the borders.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:25 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Further on the mod question, there actually already is a mod to do this, it is the Debug mod here.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM

Private

SilverElf4 is on a distinguished road

Oh fantastic! So basically I can take the debug mod and remove the new units and spells and rock n roll.

I can see where the problem came on the map. I'm using a theoretical map of Mars terraformed, and of course it has a glacial poll at the south which is where the pole markers were clustered.

Thank you for the help! I see a long night of Dom3 fun ahead of me...
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:55 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

These are the best nights
Well, there are perhaps other better nights, but still...
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverElf4 View Post
Oh fantastic! So basically I can take the debug mod and remove the new units and spells and rock n roll.

I can see where the problem came on the map. I'm using a theoretical map of Mars terraformed, and of course it has a glacial poll at the south which is where the pole markers were clustered.

Thank you for the help! I see a long night of Dom3 fun ahead of me...
The map editing manual that came with the newest patch should also go a long way toward answering many of your questions. It has a section on the image file issues as well.