.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 25th, 2004, 02:11 AM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP Game - Newbie Game (by Aku)

I messed around with the void summoning thing quite a bit before I got the hang of it. Some things to consider:

1. Be DARN sure you put the right guy in there. Only one guy can go in safely, the starspawn priest (I think that is his name). NEVER EVER put your god in there, that is total disaster. Other mages (like your god) have something like a 50% chance to go stupid. This also means the void gate is useless to any race that wipes out R'lyeh sice they cannot recruit starspawn priests.

2. Go +3 luck to try and get good old Chithgul to join you early in the game. He almost never goes insane. Somewhere on this site, they say that Chithgul has only a 2% chance to go stupid each time he is successful or attacked. It is 5% per occurance (not per turn as uneventful turns do not count) for the regular priests.

3. Make sure you have five bodyguards early on for the summoner. Research up to the ritual of returning or some such nonsense like that. That way you are safe from most everything except a vastness or multiple GOs early on.

4. The void troops are the ONLY sacred troops that R'lyeh can get. That in itself makes it nearly imperative that you use the void gate.

The Last time I played R'lyeh against the comps, my very first starspawn priest made it to something like level 25 summoning skill on about turn 80 when the game ended without going insane. I got one vastness and a whole host of GOs. Although I got whipped bad when the ultra-powerful Ermor CPU invaded the water and utterly slaughtered me (hehe).

I did like R'lyeh as a race. In fact, if you want to swap with me Pickles, I will take R'lyeh. It does sound like this particular map ought to have a water race.

[ July 25, 2004, 01:16: Message edited by: The Panther ]
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:47 AM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys:

Thanks for letting me join in. I will play Machaka. I am pretty new at the game, so any nation is as good as another for me, and the spiders are GROOVY!

Let me know when you are starting.
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:58 AM

Captain

Aku is on a distinguished road

Well we can start as soon as everyone picks a pretender and then we will upload it to the host(to do that is just connecting to the host and selecting your nation).

I am hoping we get all the nations selected etc by Sunday and maybe start Monday or maybe Sunday night if things go smoothly.

I edited your nation of Machaka into the list of nations on the post below with all the info for the game.

[ July 25, 2004, 02:59: Message edited by: Aku ]
Old July 25th, 2004, 04:03 AM

General

What are the computer-logistics for playing this MP game?

Is there a server I need to log onto, etc.?

(I realize I need to create my god pretender on my own computer, and I will do that tonight.)

Thanks. Looking forward to playing with you guys.
Old July 25th, 2004, 04:17 AM

Captain

Klatu is going to host the game for us on his computer. Basically when you load up dominions you click network, enter his ip, then his port number. Then it will say play the following nation...for you Machaka it will say so you click yes. Then it says blah blah blah has been uploaded then you can go do your turn. I think this is what you were asking.

When everybody selects a nation then Klatu will set up the server game and all of us will connect and select our nation...thats how you upload your pretender by selecting your nation. When all the players have done so then Klatu can start the game up and it will run on 24 hour quickhost. That means that if everybody does their turn it will host and if not it will host in 24 hours from the end of the Last turn. When you connect to the server it will say how many hours until next hosting.

I hope this helped. Any other questions just post and ask.
Old July 25th, 2004, 04:28 AM

General

Thanks, Aku. That's what I needed to know.
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Private

drool is on a distinguished road

did somebody pick tien-chi? if not, id like to be them. and also, are you absolutely sure about karan? i personally dislike it very much. could we play cradle instead?
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Captain

Current list is this:

Aku - Abysia
Klatu - Man
Boron - Pythium
Pickles - Ryleh
Drool - (wants Tien Chi)
Starwarsluke - Caelum
Lukes brother - Arcoscephale
Alexi - Vanheim?
PashaDawg - Machaka
Panther - T'ien C'hi (wants Ryleh)

But Panther wants Ryleh from Pickles.
Drool wants Tien Chi from Panther.

I need feedback about the map. I know people have given feedback already but just one more time please since we have all the players decided upon now. I know a lot have picked nations because the map is Karan but if the majority wants cradle then we can switch, if not then we stick with Karan.
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Private

drool is on a distinguished road

have any of you tryed middle earth map (downside of middle earth is that there is no water races allowed)? it looks nice.

raise the indep level to 7-9 please.

if theres no chance to get tien-chi, ill play ulm BF again. even thou it has crappy mages..
but 50 magic site frequency should give everybody some amazon sorcerors and druids.

anything but karan goes to me.

[ July 25, 2004, 08:11: Message edited by: drool ]
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Sergeant

Pickles is on a distinguished road

Quoting Panther

"....Other mages (like your god) have something like a 50% chance to go stupid."

20% I believe but obviously far too high.
I calculate that a Priest has around 2% chance of surviving 80 turns not mad. Or 80 5%'s as I am not sure you roll each turn or each succcessful summon.

"Go +3 luck to try and get good old Chithgul "

Is this the only benefit of high luck do you know? (I heard it was good for void summons but was unsure how)

"Research up to the ritual of returning or some such nonsense like that. "

Aha that may be the trick to use - assuming the returning works. I have had my bodyguards eaten as well as the summoner - I seem to get things that are going to kill everything or that he can handle alone

"The void troops are the ONLY sacred troops that R'lyeh can get. That in itself makes it nearly imperative that you use the void gate."

I dunno that also means you need a decent bless. OTOH they have 0 upkeep which would be useful if I ever summoned any useful ones.(nothing to do with sacred)

"I did like R'lyeh as a race. In fact, if you want to swap with me Pickles, I will take R'lyeh. It does sound like this particular map ought to have a water race."

I do not want to swap but I am happy to play a different race (I want to try to do a better job with R'lyeh than I have done)

Pickles

And Aku the chalice is L8 and I have never come close to researching that with R'lyeh (plus it does not work if you are dead!)

[ July 25, 2004, 08:35: Message edited by: Pickles ]