.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 26th, 2018, 04:43 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Missing / Lost Scenarios

Totally get you on the A0 unit. Most of the scenarios (IIRC) I have designed or created for the game I leave the A0 alone, I know (from experience, lol) that loosing your A0 in a Campaign is the end.

So what I did for now (what I just uploaded to the first post) is I changed those funky FOO's back to a rifle squad (and unfortunately, renamed them to HQ A Coy and HQ D Coy), so I think that should make them a 'normal' type of rifle squad in that slot as the HQ for the formation. It appears that when the original designer created this, he purchased two Brit Rifle coy.

Hopefully these 13 can be somewhat salvaged and used in the future, I have done what I can with the feedback I got so far.

It helped me kick back in to designing (converting lol) scenarios again (I did 20 ASL ones back when this was just DOS SPWW2), currently I have 6 almost done of 10 for one set of game conversion and I have
a few others in the works (ideas from the old tactical board wargames from the 70s I am converting).

Anyway thanks for your tips!
Old June 27th, 2018, 06:26 PM

Major

Thanked 1,056 Times in 621 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Does that scenario have ammo trucks for someone? - ammo resupply units count as artillery points. Ammo bunkers can be expensive.

Does it have mortars? - mortars (and any other on map indirect capable units) are artillery and so count towards artillery points, its not just off-map arty that counts). Anything appearing in the bombardment screen basically tot up the arty points, excluding aircraft.

If you want to make them not cost arty points - figure out the arty units, and reduce their cost in the editor until the imbalance bonus goes away. Some scenario designers put in ammo units in order to go "boom" and ammo bunkers can be expensive, so if they are in "for effect", they may need their points reduced in the editor?. Some designers stack them on bridges for the demolition effect, for example, usually tied to a remote detonated booby trap.

Artillery overload is based on the overspend given the mission type. in an assault, there is no limit to the attacker (AFAIR). However, changing to an assault may make things dug-in which may be undesirable. Another thing to look at is the cost of units - if the scenario was designed long ago then units may cost less than if they had been recently run through the OOB cost calculator. So check an example squad and see what the cost is in the recent oob. Simply making the attacker's units cost more may whittle away at the overload bonus (e.g. make his HQ worth lots perhaps?).
Good to know.

The scenario has two 1000 VP ammo bunkers so that must be where the overload is coming from. Maybe converting these to 1000 VP shelter bunkers would do away with this. they won't go boom but they will serve the purpose of being a valuable unit to be destroyed or defended.

I think this scenario is better played as the defenders so if the artillery overload points could be removed t would work fine as a defend scenario. This might be easier than trying to correct why the defending units do not stay put.
Old June 27th, 2018, 06:42 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

If you want them to go boom, put a booby trap (explosives) there.

Defenders will wander off if an objective is in enemy hands - are the objectives shared at the start of the game?. If the attacker "owns" even one, the defenders will step off to take that as their reaction turn is reached or sometimes if its nearby and/or very high value IIRC.

Also applies if "neutral" ones have been placed over defenders ones to big up the points of a few scattered objective areas - same result as neutral is not "mine" in the defender's eyes..

(I'll assume the defenders do have reaction turns set, other than say 0 or default which is usually the same effect as 0 turns)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old June 28th, 2018, 11:27 PM

Major

Scn 560 Assault on Gambsheim has several OOB issues on the German side.

The 3.7 ATGs are actually MG squads. They use the ATG icon but their weapons are than of an LMG squad.

The FG Infantry units use Artillery prime mover icons and take damage like them like them. Two of them start inside pillboxes. they have the correct weaponry for an FG squad.

I managed a marginal by just over 2:1 but I think the v hexes should be worth more than 5vp each.

Also had the issue of the northernmost German units advancing to the left. I found them on the left map end at the end. They had left the top v hexes unguarded. They did not advance towards the v hexes I had taken.
The Following User Says Thank You to RetLT For This Useful Post:
Old June 29th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

it sounds like all of these will need to be checked unit by unit and the older they are the more checking that will need to be done

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 29th, 2018, 10:15 AM

First Lieutenant

RetLT,

Thanks for your play-testing, I will take a look at this and a few others, I think I have some fixes for them.
Old June 29th, 2018, 11:26 AM

First Lieutenant

Okay, 557 is tricky, I tweaked the ammo dumps per Andy and set them to cost 0. I also renamed the units as you suggested.

560 is a mess. The original scenario designer changed all the German unit names and it makes figuring out things difficult to darn near impossible and a very time consuming process. Not sure on this one. It looks neat but man just about every German unit is got some funky name. What would help is if you could say something like G0 and G1 are 3.7 ATG's but are actually MG's squads. That would help me pinpoint the issues.
Old June 29th, 2018, 03:30 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post
Okay, 557 is tricky, I tweaked the ammo dumps per Andy and set them to cost 0. I also renamed the units as you suggested.

560 is a mess. The original scenario designer changed all the German unit names and it makes figuring out things difficult to darn near impossible and a very time consuming process. Not sure on this one. It looks neat but man just about every German unit is got some funky name. What would help is if you could say something like G0 and G1 are 3.7 ATG's but are actually MG's squads. That would help me pinpoint the issues.
I went through them one by one.

The ATGs that are really MG squads are D2, I2, N2, T0, T1, U0 and V1

The FG squads who act as Artillery Prime Movers are E0, E1, E2, J0, J1, J2, O0, O1, O2, AC0, AC1, AC2, AD0, AD1, and AD2.

I have plenty of free time to play test these. Thank you for helping to fill my days.
The Following User Says Thank You to RetLT For This Useful Post:
Old June 29th, 2018, 04:22 PM

First Lieutenant

RetLT,

Thank you so much for your excellent feedback, I have added your comments/suggestions and finding to a file I have so I'll update the problems as soon as I can and you can have another go if your free (which it sounds like you are ).

Again, without your help we would not have found the 'bugs'. I am glad your having fun, and happy to fill your days with testing things
Old June 30th, 2018, 06:16 PM

Major

I am happy to report that the other scenarios in this group work fine.

I will be moving on to your SPMBT scenarios soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RetLT For This Useful Post: