Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dealing with the Infantry Peril

From memory it only has an AP shell with 2 or 3 penetration so at range HE is more effective at penetrating. Your tank crews are using the right shell for the job. If the gun is short ranged (cant remember) the AP penetration will fall of quickly at range.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road

Ah yes the Chinese hordes. I remember these gentlemen fondly.

The only things I have to add are:

Your tanks are infantry support only and cannot kill beyond about 1 hex. Their HE is pretty good though. Use AT teams, ATG and close assault against opposing armour.

Light armour and cavalry can be used for flanking and going deep to clean up the Chinese artillery park and if you are very lucky, take out the Chinese commander. Beware of ATGs when using armour anything available to the Chines will kill you. AAMGs can give cavalry a nasty surprise as well.

Especially when you are receiving an advance or defending, try to define a couple of defensive lines. Let the hordes move to you, hit them hard, and when the pressure gets too much, pull back to the next line and repeat. Don't worry too much about killing the enemy, break as many as you can to overload their inadequate command structure. Once they are battered, you can move in for the kill.

Ammo wagons or trucks are very useful as you will find that even some of your infantry may be left with only grenades and a couple of rifle shots.

You will find my Japan campaign notes in the AAR thread - they'll give you an idea of what not to do.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I'm playing a small campaign RusVchina in MBT '48 though.

And getting those Chinese hordes that keep coming even after i've them bombarded them unmercifully many times with my atry they regroup and come climbing over the craters again and again.

But they haven't dealt too much damage with their pitful tanks {all destroyed) and multiple useless ATR's and are slowly breaking.

Let them come.
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

Low quality infantry can be suppressed very well by mortar fire.
Spread out your fire. The more units are suppressed, the more strain on the officers to rally, and the sooner they'll fail, leaving the grunts to rally on their own.

Keep machine guns around, but situated well in the rear. They tend to die a lot to rifle fire, it seems.
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post
Spread out your fire. The more units are suppressed, the more strain on the officers to rally, and the sooner they'll fail, leaving the grunts to rally on their own.

Keep machine guns around, but situated well in the rear. They tend to die a lot to rifle fire, it seems.
Machine guns, like mortars and ATG are teams. So the crew are considered bunched together and occasional hits (esp direct fire hits) will kill extra over and above what riflemen would have received. (Polish and other 15+ man rifle sections are also penalised for being bunched up somewhat).

Andy
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Corporal

Ironfist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPoS View Post
My artillery has pounded them for 2 turns now, but the problem here is that it takes about 4.3 rounds before the shells starts dropping (yes, I'm using an FOO). In about another 3.5 rounds my D1A's will come swooping down, but I fear that it is to late for 1st Company.
You can plot arty from the very beginning, with their tubes turned off. When the enemy shows up, turn their tubes back on. Thus you will have no delay. Later you can shift them with your spotter (much better if the spotter has LOS).

And I think the delay for arty is related to your FOO and arty's exp, AND the caliber (represented by WH) of your guns. So if your arty is 105mm PL or 75mm PL, they will drop much faster anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironfist For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:23 AM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post

Machine guns, like mortars and ATG are teams. So the crew are considered bunched together and occasional hits (esp direct fire hits) will kill extra over and above what riflemen would have received. (Polish and other 15+ man rifle sections are also penalised for being bunched up somewhat).

Andy
Gotcha. It always seemed they tended to get hit harder. Very nice info, thanks
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Sergeant

RVPERTVS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfist View Post
Quote:
My artillery has pounded them for 2 turns now, but the problem here is that it takes about 4.3 rounds before the shells starts dropping (yes, I'm using an FOO). In about another 3.5 rounds my D1A's will come swooping down, but I fear that it is to late for 1st Company.
You can plot arty from the very beginning, with their tubes turned off. When the enemy shows up, turn their tubes back on. Thus you will have no delay. Later you can shift them with your spotter (much better if the spotter has LOS).

And I think the delay for arty is related to your FOO and arty's exp, AND the caliber (represented by WH) of your guns. So if your arty is 105mm PL or 75mm PL, they will drop much faster anyway.
Very Interesting. Can you explain this a little better please? What do you mean by "you will have no delay"? AFAIK you´ll have the same delay but your tubes won´t fire, you mean you´´l have to keep switching targets?

Thanks in advance
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

That does much the same thing as a "gold Spot" but you have to leave your arty targeted on that hex. With the tubes turned off the mission will still count down but no rounds will be fired. When the enemy is on those target hexes you turn the barrels back on then press the bombard button and you will have a .01 delay. It simulates that the guns are targeted and loaded and ready to fire to those co-ordinates and are just waiting for the order to fire. The drawback to this is you cannot use the guns for any other mission when they are locked on to this target waiting ( hopefully ) for the enemy to get there. Basically it does the same things as firing at the hex then waiting for the enemy to make an appearance but without the loss of ammo

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPERTVS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfist View Post
Quote:

Very Interesting. Can you explain this a little better please? What do you mean by "you will have no delay"? AFAIK you´ll have the same delay but your tubes won´t fire, you mean you´´l have to keep switching targets?

Thanks in advance
It took me a while to figure this out to, but it works great.

Plot your artillary where you want it during deployment. This normally means it will fall before anybody goes. However, rather then letting it fall on nothing, before you quit deployment go into the bombardment menu, view the unit and click on all of the guns. This will turn them off so nothing will fire even though it's plotted.

Then comes the fun part. The battle has progressed to the point when the enemy has occupied the space wehre you plotted your artillary at the beginning of the game. Assuming that you have not replotted any of the guns, you will be able to click on the name of the unit and it will re-plot the units guns in the original hex with no deley. Since the gun was plotted there and then consiquensly never moved, it's a simple matter to just load a shell and pull the trigger. Just remember to turn the tubes/guns back on.

You can also plot your artillary in advance, then the turn before it comes in, if the enemy is not there, move it until the delay goes back up a turn or two. I do this a lot. It's a bit of a bear though because your spotter has to have good field of view to do it accuratly.

Howard Tayer
The Following User Says Thank You to Lt. Ketch For This Useful Post: