.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old April 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3 Wishlist

Quote:
Etaoin Shrdlu said:
New idea, and one I just came up with (too late apparently?)...
Randomized opponents. You pick the number of other nations you want but not which ones. (while you could call for some at each difficulty level... say you wanted 8 opps at 4 normal and 4 hard)
IF it doesnt get put into the game, dont be saddened. It was done by 3rd party programming in Dom2 and can easily be done by a 3rd party program for Dom3 also. Hopefully by someone better at it than I but if not then I will whip out something for it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:57 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agrajag said: Heroes3
You had to open the map editor, locate the relevant map, go into the correct settings panel and then find and disable the items, then rename the map to prevent confusion and then resave it in another name in the correct location.

These are all the steps which should be done within the Heroes_3 editor which takes 2 minutes.
NO WOG MOD is needed...
NO Mods at all are needed.
No installing of Mods also not needed.
Thus your steps of installing Mod and renaming files are wrong.
Old April 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You had to open the map editor, locate the relevant map, go into the correct settings panel and then find and disable the items, then rename the map to prevent confusion and then resave it in another name in the correct location.

These are all the steps which should be done within the Heroes_3 editor which takes 2 minutes.
NO WOG MOD is needed...
NO Mods at all are needed.
No installing of Mods.
Thus your steps of installing Mod and renaming files are wrong.

[/quote]

Quote:
So what I said was that it also didn't take more than 2 minutes to mod out a spell with the current system of Dom2.
The problem here is many gamers have never modified any game files. Many gamers never even visit forums. My suggestion would make this functionality available to all gamers which buy the game.
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

There's no "modifying of files" going on, there's a text files with the prefix .dm that needs to be put in a folder, and then a few more clicks to enable it in-game.
No modification of any sort, and all changes are reversible with a click of a button.
The option of mods is available to everyone, all you need to do is download the correct patch (in the case of DOM2) and you get the modding manual in the /docs folder, and you can easily use that to create a one-command-line-long files and enable it, no visiting forums required.
Its also a much better way, because in HoMM3 you auto-downloaded the maps from the other player, so you had no idea what that map contained (the other player could have disabled spells you didn't like disabled, or enabled spells you'd rather be disabled, or just make himself start with 10,000 Black Dragons), in Dom2 you could just open up the .dm file and see what it does.
And even if you choose not to auto-download, but rather have the other player presend the modded map, you still have to face the "difficulties" of locating the correct folder and putting the file there.
Old April 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Shouldnt long debates of wishlist items be restarted in a seperate thread? Not to shut them down. I feel that discussions are good but long ones might be counterproductive to the list. It might make it hard for the developers to check the wishlist, and force someone to have to create another trimmed version of the wishlist, which then gets filled with... etc etc loop
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:41 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

Ok, here is an idea (about training). I know it probably won't make it in the end, but whatever.

I was thinking about how to give units more character. I remember that one of the things that gives me the greatest feeling of love for my units is when you do something special w/ them. So, what if you could TRAIN them!

Here is how I envision it:

---Only specific (normally the non magical or priestly commanders) commanders may train units.

---The player would give the order to advance all the units to x level. All units below level x would gain 1 level that turn. They would eat (1 + the level attained) TIMES as much food. So level 1 = 2x, level 2 = 3x, level 3 = 4x, etc...

It would probably be hard to implement and balance, but I like the idea (plus, it is fun to fantasize).
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

We all know how powerful Ethereality is, and how it is used wherever possible to create thugs to take down entire conventional armies. How about a spell to give a mage and some loyal bodyguards or PD a chance against silly raiding Banelords, Spectres, or (ugh) Black Servants?

Spiritbane Weaponry
Construction 1
Earth 1
Fatigue: 40
Area: 5

Bestows the Magic Weapon trait on troops' weapons in the area of effect.

That vampire queen may be less likely to attack your capitol on turn 5 knowing there might be a sage ready to buff your 25 PD.
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

nice idea, however it would make certain units (fire and air elementals, dispossesed, soulgate in general) kind of useless. if you increased its difficulty to cast a little/decrease its area it might be a little more even (or make it very short ranged)
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Morkilus said:
That vampire queen may be less likely to attack your capitol on turn 5 knowing there might be a sage ready to buff your 25 PD.
You would be quite lucky to have a sage in your capital on turn 5.
Old April 17th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

anyone with random/earth mages could get it though and since practically everone can get earth on their mages even without indies (ok, maybe not mict) it kind of spoils etherealness