Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
MP Noobs, Vets, & AIs: An evolving concept for a new series. - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old September 9th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs vs. AI's: New series. Conceptual thread/discussion.

I have to say, this is the least interesting of the ideas you were floating at the end of NvV III. You might want to make sure there is sufficient player interest in something like this before spending the time making a map.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

I think starting EA and working up is more or less the way I would take it, and contrary to Squirrelloid I like the idea myself.

Especially if I was a really new player.

I never played SP and jumped right into MP, that's why I am so bad at it (LOL) and ask so many questions (hence the Captain rank).

If you where taking Terrible somewhat experienced players I would be your guy!!!!

Good Luck
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

It is good to hear from my former teammates on these matters.

Thanks rdonj, Ironhawk, and Grudgebringer for the progression suggestions. EA seems a good starting era, as is using custom gods incrementally.

Squirelloid is correct, I do need to discern interest before I set about the time consuming work of creating a map (which would take some time) but of course that is part of the purpose of this thread to "gauge interest and feasability".

I myself do love a good compstomp every now and then. We had many extremely talented and energetic noobs in NvV, I consider Squirreloid one of them, so AI players may not be much of a challenge to them. But for players such as myself, Grudge, brand new players, and those older players with the courage to admit it, whose skills aren't top rank, might benefit from and enjoy such a game. Who knows, I may even get my beat by the comp.

Since there are many other players who like myself jumped into MP without mastering SP, I may loosen the MP qualifications to 10 full games or less.

On my other game ideas, I am waiting for former noobs from all the games to get more experience under their belts before going for the alumni idea and the multiple mixed team idea which is also good will require plenty of available players and so I'd like to wait a bit.
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Corporal

iainuki is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure I'd count as a newbie for this kind of game. I do enjoy killing AIs, but I'm still not sure I should take someone else's slot. I do think that on the whole this is probably the least interesting of the options you proposed, and arguably the most work, so I'd keep that in mind.

I agree with most of what's been posted so far in the thread. You want to set independent strength to 3 or 4, you want to use Better Independents (you may even consider modding nations to make their crap troops too expensive or resource-intensive to build, but that would be a *lot* of work), EA
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:34 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Yes, I hope I will have the time to do something unique mapwise.

Would like to hear from more people. If someone else has an opinion, speak up and don't be shy. Currently one can play against AI nations via one of the open games on the dom3minions server but not with the numbers of computer players I am suggesting.

Does anyone think that a team of 4 or 5 noobs would have too much difficulty defeating 8 or 10 AI's even without custom AI builds?

There must be some interest in playing against the AI, as quite of few of the available games on the server are filled and active.

Does anyone think that the AI would fair better in LA vs. EA? If so why?
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:00 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Something else worth considering is possibly combining this idea with that of the multi-team mixed Noobs vs. Vets idea.

2 teams of 4 noobs each led by a veteran placed on a random map with a team of 4 or 5 extremely tough AI players (with custom builds) in between them.

We could even do 4 teams of humans arranged around (N/S/E/W) the AI player "team".

The presence of the AI players would introduce an interesting element to the game. Communication from the vet team captains to their noobs would be essential in not only defeating the other human teams but in also dealing with and defeating the AI team.

Let me hear from all those interested in this possibility.
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:30 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
Yes, I hope I will have the time to do something unique mapwise.

Would like to hear from more people. If someone else has an opinion, speak up and don't be shy. Currently one can play against AI nations via one of the open games on the dom3minions server but not with the numbers of computer players I am suggesting.

Does anyone think that a team of 4 or 5 noobs would have too much difficulty defeating 8 or 10 AI's even without custom AI builds?

There must be some interest in playing against the AI, as quite of few of the available games on the server are filled and active.

I don't think 4 or 5 noobs would have any difficulty defeating 8 or 10 random non-impossible AIs, unless they were of the completely green and untested variety.

Ironhawk said they'd do better in LA due to LA having better troops. However, you should really incorporate at least the better independents mod into the game if you're goign to do that or they will just recruit massive amounts of chaff indies.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
Oops, sorry meant to say does anyone think the computer would fair better in EA vs. LA. In other words, are there any opinions to the contrary? and if so why?
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Private

viccio is on a distinguished road

i'm interested to play another team game
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Noobs and Vets vs. AI's

By the gods, i've had an epiphany! It is nothing short of divine inspiration I tell you.

Combining these two ideas of mine (AI menace and multi-team noobs and vets) makes a great deal of sense:

1. It makes sense thematically: With the defeat of the vets, noobs and vets now co-exist peacefully. This explains why they can be on the same teams together.

2. The rise of a new menace (this time led by the AI) brings noob and vet alike together to confront this new threat. But the new teams are quarrelsome and can't get along so after dealing with the AI threat they vie for dominance.

3. 4 teams composed of 1 vet champion or hall of famer (acting as captain), 1 intermediate level player and 2 noobs allows for players of all skill levels to join in on the action.

4. The fifth team of AI players allows for some compstomping action, provides an interesting twist, and can be placed in between the competing teams forcing the teams to deal with the AI menace first.

5. At 20 nations (5X4) a series of games could be played in each of the era's without having to worry about water nations. Beginning in EA and proceeding to LA, the AI menace could be made increasingly more difficult.

6. A complete custom made map would not be neccessary, this could be done with either a random or suitable pre-existing map.

Sounds like the makings of a new game and thread if people would be interested.

Last edited by Septimius Severus; September 11th, 2009 at 01:08 PM..