.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old August 12th, 2002, 11:21 PM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road
Default Demo Comments

I took the demo for a quick spin. Pretty cool. I did have some comments:

Inventory space is WAY too small. The fact that some items don't stack (health potions, food), and that each scroll takes up a slot. I ran out of slot after about 10 minutes of playing. Part of the fun of these types of games is collecting all those cool items. I found the lack of inventory space to be a real pain in the butt. Maybe if all items stacked this wouldn't be so bad.

I didn't play all that long but I didn't find anywhere to store extra items. I also didn't find anyplace to sell/buy items. Do these places exists? I couldn't figure out how to write the scrolls into my book.

Tiles look like the ones from the Angband games I play, hehe. Even that game had a house where you could store extra items.

All in all I like the demo. I feel something needs to be done with the lack of inventory space, and the stacking needs to be fixed. Maybe it's just me...

I'm wondering what the full game comes with that the demo didn't. Like how many modules are going to be included that type of thing.
Old August 13th, 2002, 12:43 PM

Sergeant

Warspite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Demo Comments

I have found many shops to buy and sell items in. There was even a bar where I bought food and drinks from.
Old August 13th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

In the default module, you should quickly find a road on your travels. When you do, follow it to the west, and you should quickly come across a town where you can sell your treasures and buy supplies.

I find that I generally ignore all non-enchanted items after the first few trips. Crowns, and Treasure are exceptions, since they are worth a hefty sum of cash.
Old August 13th, 2002, 04:18 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

I found the road, and travelled east and found a castle which I have been exploring. It's quite a bit roomier inside than it appears on the outside.

So is there any way to "examine" stuff? I found somethings that look like signs, but I can't seem to find any way to read them. Are there characters in the game that you can interact with and speak to? SO far all I have found is monsters of varying varieties which I have had to kill. No puzzles or anything, but maybe they are in here somewhere. I haven't gone everywhere.

Geoschmo
Old August 13th, 2002, 04:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

Atraikius is on a distinguished road

Geoschmo - you went the wrong way Follow the road in the other direction and you will find a small town.
Old August 13th, 2002, 07:11 PM

BANNED USER

disabled is on a distinguished road

There's a lost boy in the castle....
Old August 13th, 2002, 07:26 PM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road

After playing some more Last night I did find some shops to buy/sell stuff. I also found the little boy which was cool. I like the demo, but still would like to see more things stack or a larger inventory.

Does anyone know how to use the scrolls. I'm playing a Ranger and can't seem to get any of the scrolls to work.
Old August 13th, 2002, 08:39 PM

Private

Verigen is on a distinguished road

To use a scroll as a ranger I just higlighted it in the spell list thing on the lower right of my screen and right clicked to activate the scroll.

I payed the demo from start to finish Last night and got to level 5, not bad but considering it says you can get to 100 in the full game I'd say it's planned on being rather long.

One problem I did see was that the shop keepers move...outside of their shops. I had the magic shop keeper wander all the way out to the back of his shop and into the farmer fields. It was a pain to go and track him down.

Another thing has already been mentioned, lack of space. I must have taken 40 trips between the town and the castle to sell stuff (yes I sold everything, had 30000 gold before the end).

Which leads me to my next point. Money is unbalanced as the most expensive thing I've seen were only just over 1000 gold and I got to 30000 extra by the end just be selling junk, but maybe that will get more understandable with the full game.

Other than that it looks good
Old August 13th, 2002, 09:06 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

A fairly common RPG thingamabob is a bag or pack which will allow you to carry more bulk, while still staying within your weight limit. Perhaps this is something which can be modded in if it's not in the demo module.

I do rather miss being able to have an "adventure party" instead of being limited to one player character. Perhaps in a future update? Or is that possible now with the retail game and is just not in the demo module?

Geoschmo
Old August 13th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One problem I did see was that the shop keepers move...outside of their shops. I had the magic shop keeper wander all the way out to the back of his shop and into the farmer fields. It was a pain to go and track him down.
Make it a habit to close the doors behind you, and you won't have to worry
A tweak to keep the shopkeepers closer to their stores would be good.

Quote:
Which leads me to my next point. Money is unbalanced as the most expensive thing I've seen were only just over 1000 gold and I got to 30000 extra by the end just be selling junk, but maybe that will get more understandable with the full game.
Most of the junk being sold in the stores is pretty cheap. However, anything that is enchanted is much more expensive. "Godling Merkand's Gloves of Armageddon" type items would be significantly out of your price range.

As you progress in the game, more enchanted items will turn up in the shops, and you will start spending your money faster and faster.