.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 27th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road
Default Re: caelum

Quote:
Etaoin Shrdlu said:
One small quibble about this build item-wise: Rime Hauberk vs. Ermor? Jade (more speed) or Rainbow (reinvigoration) or even Hydraskin (regeneration) Armor would have been a better choice as undead are immune to cold effects. Also the Bag of Wine likely should have been on a seraphine rather than the pretender-- replace with Stone Bird (4 attacks!)... hmm, multiple commanders with Spirit Helm, Dancing Trident, Stone Bird, Boots of Quickness, Jade Armor = a bulldozer, and hyper easy to build as Caelum (keep hiring High Seraphs until you get enough E picks for SB and JA)
Jade Armor would be even worse than a Rime Hauberk, encumbrance-wise. This "SC" would keel over from exhaustion long before it could do any serious damage, particularly if it were to cast more than one spell before going into melee. Even if you fix the fatigue problem, this guy has low HP, low protection, low defense, no regeneration or lifedrain. Awfully fragile, for a god. Especially one carrying so much pricey equipment.
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

am I the only one who doesn't design gods to go into battle? I mean the re-empowiring them after they die is just to costly
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I quess that the pretender would cast some spells like Quickness, Earth Power, Iron Skin etc which give protecion, defense and reinvigoration. Arch Seraph is still more of a mage, but while it isn't as effective as a Titan SC, it can still work well.
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Sergeant

High_Priest_Naresh is on a distinguished road

who says and arch seraph cant kill a 1027 with less than a 100 people helping him!

jut like Rosanna
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:21 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wish_For_Blood_Slaves said:
am I the only one who doesn't design gods to go into battle? I mean the re-empowiring them after they die is just to costly
i almost never use combat pretenders
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Sergeant

I rarely use them but air guves such a diversity!
tempest
cool shields
sprit helm
flying shoes
dancing trident
thunder bow
bow of war
eye of aiming
thunder spear and whip
there is just so much room for experimentation!
give about 10 storm genrals bows of war and 1 eye of aiming
and each one 25 archers and spirit helm, then maybe to round it off a dancing trident and stone bird each just in case they get to close!
you can probably never go wrong with air!
my arch seraph started with 16 presision now it has a presision of well over 25!(+10 air, +5 for DT and tempest)
I also found that on my game the DT gives you a small boost to presision as do practically all air weapons!
about 1 in 12 cold bolts missed and as forbow of war if I had given her that then practically every arrow would of done damage!
also
harab seraph with otkhars sceptre(some thing like that)
and that other death booster as well as the helmet and casting pale riders after he/she was standard level 10 death (with out any magic items) and was getting about 400+ riders!

jut like Rosanna
Old September 27th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
High_Priest_Naresh said:
harab seraph with otkhars sceptre(some thing like that)
and that other death booster as well as the helmet and casting pale riders after he/she was standard level 10 death (with out any magic items) and was getting about 400+ riders!
please explain, im confused
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

He had national heroine with Death empowered to Death 10, using at least two boosters (+3 and +1) to getting 400+ units from every casting of Undead Horsemen.
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Sergeant

you HAD to make it simple didn't you

jut like Rosanna
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Quote:
High_Priest_Naresh said:
who says and arch seraph cant kill a 1027 with less than a 100 people helping him!
Care to do the math? An arch seraph wearing a Rime Hauberk has a combat encumbrance of 6, and a spellcasting encumbrance of 8. Assuming you leap right into melee, casting neither Wind Guide nor Thunderstrike, you still gain 12 fatigue per round of quickened combat. That means you have 9 rounds in which to inflict casualties, before you lose consciousness, your defense drops to zero, and pretty much anything other than an Ermorian soulless kills your ~10HP pretender in one or two hits.

Now, in each such round of combat, you strike twice with the Tempest, twice with the Dancing Trident, and once with the Spirit Helmet. The hauberk is irrelevant, as the undead are cold-immune. Let's assume you're fighting a thoroughly defenseless Ermorian meat/bone shield, and take out one with each lightning bolt, one with each strike of the trident, and four with each swing of the Tempest. Unless I'm mistaken about the Tempest's area of effect, that's the maximal possible number of kills per round with this configuration. That's 11 kills per round, for 9 rounds before you pass out. Unless I've missed something, 99 is a far, far smaller number than 1027.

Conclusion: Not only could your pretender not have defeated the undead horde without those 100 supporting troops, those troops actually did just over 90% of the work. Not surprising, since a large squad of claymen can easily take out huge armies of longdead and soulless without forcing you to risk your pretender's life(let alone your pretender and a full load of equipment, including a unique artifact). One casting of Wrathful Skies and a few seraphines with Rings of Tamed Lightning would also have done the job nicely.

Conditional: I'm assuming your god never actually lost consciousness, then regained it, then lost it again, then regained it, etc. Any tactic which necessitates repeatedly turning your pretender into a sitting duck on the front lines is no tactic at all, particularly if said pretender is mortal.

Further remarks:
1) Is relying on archers really that good an idea when wielding the Tempest, which autocasts Storm and thereby wastes about half your shots and makes the other half inaccurate?
2) Thunderstrike has an area of effect of 1, meaning it kills a maximum of 4 targets for 8 fatigue. Factor that into the above equation, and you wind up doing even less damage before passing out.