Notices

Old April 18th, 2018, 01:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,686 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Helicopter inaccuracies

Quote:
Originally Posted by donscott View Post
I went in and changed some things, but it didn't change anything when I tried to build a battle, maybe that was the wrong approach.

The first thing I did was change the minigun, weapon 185. I tried to figure what the strike impact would be from a 3 second 600 round burst, think I set it at 30 HE. This should be discussed.

I changed the UH-1B gunship to:
Weapon 1 2xM-60 (134) 40 HE, they carried 1800 rounds per gun.
Weapon 2 same
Weapon 3 2x2.75 FFAR 7 (177), we carried 7 shots to a side.
Weapon 4 door guns, 2xM-60 (134) 30HE we carried about 2,000 rounds per gun.

I added door guns to the UH-1B SS-11.

I changed Unit 862 UH-1B Maxwell to a UH-1C Mini-gun ship.
Weapon 1 mini-gun (185)6 shots, we carried 3700 rounds but when you fire 600 rounds in three seconds you run out fast. Hint-have ammo resupply available.
Weapon 2, also a mini-gun
Weapon 3, 2x2.75 FFAR (177) 7
Weapon 4, doorguns

The UH-1C Frog (893)- (I hated that name, mine was just the M-5 ship), I took away the AP ammo, we had no way of changing types of ammo in action. I changed the rockets to 7 and added door guns.

The UH-1C and UH-1M were virtually the same aircraft except for the engine. The AH-1G, UH-1H and UH-1M had a stronger engine then earlier models. I think you don't need units 892 or 894.

+5 experience boost barely makes up for the swagger, but I guess it will have to do.

The UH-1E of the Marines did not have a min-gun, it had the TAT-101 system of two M-60's under the nose. They didn't carry much ammo.

I know you are busy, but I wrote an article about UH-1 Armament that I posted on Armchair General, Vietnam thread, user name Rotorwash, just in case you get bored.
I have copied this to our notes for next year and will have a look at some point.. I am in he middle of another project ATM.

Post the link to that article

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 18th, 2018, 01:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:

The UH-1C Frog (893)- (I hated that name, mine was just the M-5 ship), I took away the AP ammo, we had no way of changing types of ammo in action.

The game does that depending on the target...remember this is a GAME not a simulation....we try to come close but sometimes you just have to accept things like this

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 18th, 2018, 01:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
The UH-1C Frog (893)- (I hated that name, mine was just the M-5 ship),

Wiki claims

Quote:
The UH-1C was widely referred to as the "Huey Hog" in US Army service
Accurate ?

IDK where " frog" came from. ( rhymes with " hog " ? ). I "inherited" the job of maintenance of these OOB's

Old April 18th, 2018, 02:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
The UH-1E of the Marines did not have a min-gun, it had the TAT-101 system of two M-60's under the nose. They didn't carry much ammo.
Maybe some did..............

https://www.helis.com/database/modelorg/852/

Every Marine UH1E that I worked (about 34 ) had the Elastomeric 540 rotor system (same as the Marine AH1G model Cobra, except they retained the stab bar), instead of the 204 wet head. Some had the air intake scope of the B/C models some had the particle separator basket. Several had been fitted with a chin turret including a 7.62 mini gun and a 40mm grenade launcher. The aircraft I worked on were with HML-267/HML-367 in 1974/1975.

"a 7.62 mini gun and a 40mm grenade launcher".....we have two mini guns and no 40mm GL....so now I wait for "The Marine" to reply.......

Old April 18th, 2018, 02:26 PM

Private

donscott is on a distinguished road

The "Hog" was the M-3 system that carried 24 rockets to a side, it was misery to work with and I considered it dangerous. The "Frog" was the M-5 40mm system because that is what it looked like when it flew overhead.

I wrote the first lesson plan for the 540 rotorhead used on the UH-1C and the Cobra. I think I would like to see the minigun and 40mm that went under the nose of a UH-1E, Cobra yes, that was a nose armament option. 74-75 is long after my time in helicopters so anything could have happened.
Old April 18th, 2018, 02:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:

I changed Unit 862 UH-1B Maxwell to a UH-1C Mini-gun ship.
Weapon 1 mini-gun (185)6 shots, we carried 3700 rounds but when you fire 600 rounds in three seconds you run out fast. Hint-have ammo resupply available.
Weapon 2, also a mini-gun
Weapon 3, 2x2.75 FFAR (177) 7
Weapon 4, doorguns.
Not going to change that the game has to deal with all battle types and that is an AT unit. What I may do is change 892 to this as "UH-1C Mini-Gun"....on the list anyway.....that is a hell of a lot more useful than one unit that is a bit faster for 12 months

Old April 18th, 2018, 02:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:

The first thing I did was change the minigun, weapon 185. I tried to figure what the strike impact would be from a 3 second 600 round burst, think I set it at 30 HE. This should be discussed.
That has domino effects across all OOB's and weapons.....30 for the mini gun would be 3 HEK higher than the 30mm GAU-8.....31 is an 8 inch naval shell , 30 is a 150kg bomb

That said I have noted down to compare other weapons with WH 1 compare....WH size and HE kill work together but I need to tread lightly with things like this or risk a cascade of " if that ..what about this? "

We all want the weapons we fire to be as effective as possible but we have to keep things under control and balanced across all the OOBs.

Last edited by DRG; April 19th, 2018 at 06:56 AM..
Old April 18th, 2018, 02:53 PM

Private

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...=Huey+armament This is the Armchair General thread although Photobucket has taken down the pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to donscott For This Useful Post:
Old April 18th, 2018, 02:59 PM

Private

I put the article on another site - https://www.militaryimages.net/threa...t-part-1.4960/ I see that most of the pictures are still there.
The Following User Says Thank You to donscott For This Useful Post:
Old April 18th, 2018, 03:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
I would like to see the minigun and 40mm that went under the nose of a UH-1E, Cobra yes, that was a nose armament option.
Consider that I have to keep track of all weapon systems in 93 OOB's.....( and keep them in harmony )

The UH-1E is not in the USA OOB, only the USMC OOB. We have the AH-1G Cobra in the US OOB with the mini gun and the 40mm.....we also have a limited number of slots left so putting in every conceivable combination is not practical. I have change 892 to represent the UH-1C Mini-Gun

Last edited by DRG; April 18th, 2018 at 03:07 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: