Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old November 4th, 2016, 09:06 AM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road
Confused Soviet nationals markings on aircrafts during WWII

I just d like to said that I like really new icons of SB-2/Tu-2/Pe-2 bombers made by Don for new release of SPWW2. They come in so many variations of camouflage likely based on some research of soviet aircraft’s paintings like for plastic models. Of course is more icons of aircraft’s than units in OOB so I tough that they are in so many variations because we can use them for custom scenarios.

I only do like to mention that generally during "Great Patriotic War" 1941-1945 soviets don't used stars on top of the wings like any other air forces do. They were feelings that they disrupted camo. So in prewar years some aircraft’s have big red stars on wings top but that wasn't common practice. In 1940 were some instructions to camo all aircraft's so big red stars were repainted. Not everywhere they done that, they are photos of some Lagg-3 destroyed in early barbarossa with small red stars on top wings. Probably that recommendation were taken seriously after war starts. In game icons terms that may suggest that most soviet aircraft haven't top stars and can be also used as a generic in different OOB's. Polish LWP take the same soviet schema of painting aircraft's and there were not top wings polish insignias as long as until 2012 when they were returned first on F-16. Looks like Bulgaria use the same schematics immediately after join on soviet side there is photo of Yak-9 in their service http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Research/Y...i%2046%201.jpg
Soviets also keep this style of painting national insignia after war
How long they do this is hard to said but looks like they follow this schematics also on early jet which were simple silver. Czechoslovakia used only painted in that manner aircraft's until in June 1945 when they repainted their air-force red stars with their own roundels and they appear on tops of the wings.

http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/wp-con...3/DSC_7219.JPG

http://www.arcair.com/Gal5/4001-4100...-Kalina/01.jpg

Article about paintings soviet WWII aircraft’s with explanation of this convention why red stars don't appear on top of wings.

http://www.redbanner.co.uk/History/i...louration.html

Conclusion is that most soviets aircraft's haven't this stars which are now on their icon's by simple assumption that this is an convention for all air-forces.
Old November 4th, 2016, 09:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Soviet nationals markings on aircrafts during WWII

Maybe........ but I LIKE the stars on the wings. ( and I am NOT going to redo them all !!) Accurate or not, the Icon looks more "complete" with them. Like the Japanese aircraft don't look nearly as good without the hinomaru

And, yes......all the camo is based on real examples ( but I know I got a bit carried away....and with the B-17's )

Last edited by DRG; November 4th, 2016 at 09:38 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: