.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old July 7th, 2004, 03:21 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road
Default Amazon Mod

A new mod made by PvK has just been made public.

Soon there will also be a mod by Stephan Weiss. It's about orcs. New graphics .
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Major

Tuidjy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Amazon Mod

Someone well know and trusted by the community.
*cough* Zen *cough* should gather all the mods
and make an 'official' package of modded nations.

Then we could playtest them, balance them, and
hopefully end up with something that people will
be Ok with playing competitively.
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:08 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

I will be interested to hear what people think of the balance of Themiskyra, the Amazon nation this mod replaces Pangaea with.

It seems balanced to me, though different from any other nations, and certainly with many strengths. It does get off to a good start because of having access to all magic paths. Of course, all other nations have a chance to get all of the same abilities by late game, by taking independent Amazon tribes. The gem income is fairly weak too, and dispersed. The new units I added are mainly to provide something generic for PD, but the Amazon Leader and heroines have good thug and perhaps item-SC potential. And I added an (I think minor) stealth element. I think they're a lot of fun to play, but I'll be interested in elite high-magic-type players' opinions of their balance.

In later patches, or with some more graphic work, I hope to be able to modify the pretender choices and heroines a bit. Otherwise I think it is pretty complete and AFAIK balanced.

PvK
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:36 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
I will be interested to hear what people think of the balance of Themiskyra, the Amazon nation this mod replaces Pangaea with.
I like it. It's not as overpowered as it looks, despite the ability to recruit sacred troops everywhere.

I've toyed with an Amazon mod myself in the past, except I didn't add extra troops bar the standard scout. My only capital sites were the 'Many Thousand Things' because it seemed thematically appropriate (Amazon tribes have developped many thousand skills while they lived apart from each other), and the 'Brigand Lair' , also for thematic reasons: the four tribes are still competing for supremacy - thus the 'necessary' unrest. On the good side, it grants access to Villains - I assume Amazons need these renegades to mate .
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Hehe. Ya, it sounds like we did very similar mods, then. Since my scout is just an Amazon Version of the standard scout, your Brigands are essentially like my Wayfarers (except for the breeding part ), and your Ten Thousand Things site is similar to my selection of 1-gem sites. The main practical difference would be my Amazon Leaders.

PvK
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:55 PM

Private

Leadman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It seems balanced to me, though different from any other nations, and certainly with many strengths. It does get off to a good start because of having access to all magic paths. Of course, all other nations have a chance to get all of the same abilities by late game, by taking independent Amazon tribes. The gem income is fairly weak too, and dispersed. The new units I added are mainly to provide something generic for PD, but the Amazon Leader and heroines have good thug and perhaps item-SC potential. And I added an (I think minor) stealth element. I think they're a lot of fun to play, but I'll be interested in elite high-magic-type players' opinions of their balance.

In later patches, or with some more graphic work, I hope to be able to modify the pretender choices and heroines a bit. Otherwise I think it is pretty complete and AFAIK balanced.

PvK
Thanks for putting this mod together . I've been playing it a lot since it came out. It's definitely not over powered and allows several viable strategies. They only thing that I would like to see added is a capital only temple guard heavy infantry unit that is sacred and has higher protection and stealth .

Leadman
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

I suppose it would make sense to be able to combine say the skill level and sacredness of Griffon Riders (minus the mounted bonus, of course) with say Onyx tribe armor, in a capitol-only infantry unit. It's sort of an interesting limitation though that they don't have such a unit, seeing as they do have so many other good units.

The only way I know to make a unit capitol-only, though, is to steal the unique Horse's Vale (?) site and mods its unit, but there are other mods that do that, which Amazon Empire mod would then become incompatible with, so maybe just wait for a mod command to do that. Or, I could add a unit type and then make them part of the starting army - you could never build more of them, but that could be interesting in itself (maybe more appropriate for some other mod - for example, would be a cool thing for Black Forest Ulm, actually, to give them some old Ulm units which they can't build).

Of course, there is already something sort of like this in the Amazon Leaders, but they're very expensive.

PvK
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

i myself like the mod too
it's really well balanced and not overpowered .
you really have all 8 paths but some only 1 lvl and most lvl 2 .

i think too they could need a capitol only special unit too because their national infantry is quite weak and the 4 sacred special units are either quite expensive or not worth making a bless strategy around like with vanheim or marignon .

and you have lower gemincome than any nation from the start

so if the new mod command comes only add 1 or 2 types of capitol only special troops but otherwise a really nice mod
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The only way I know to make a unit capitol-only, though, is to steal the unique Horse's Vale (?) site and mods its unit, but there are other mods that do that, which Amazon Empire mod would then become incompatible with, so maybe just wait for a mod command to do that.
You can do exactly the same thing with the Hidden Grove and change the Pandemoniac to your new unit. Since your mode replaces Pangaea it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Quite frankly, I don't think your mod needs an extra unit though. It's powerful enough as it is.

About bless strategies, I've found Earth-9 on Nightmares just rocks. 17 prot is decent for a cavalry unit, the extra reinvig comes handy since their other main weakness is their stratospherically high encumberance. And their Fear aura makes it like you have a powerful dual Earth/Death blessing. The aura works like a charm when you have enough of them. And OFC the reinvig is nice to have on priestesses - especially Crystal Amazons you use as communion slaves. Have an Onyx priestess/sorceress communion master boost that further with Summon Earthpower, add Relief support from Jade sorceresses, and you'll have to try real hard to lose a single communion slave to exhaustion.
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:50 PM

Great solution, Nagot!

I think you're right that they don't need a blessed infantry unit. Their infantry isn't high-protection or sacred but it is skilled.

Perhaps the sacred unit should be a standard-bearer wielding the traditional gilt double-bladed labris axe. That would be thematic, add variety, and also provide an excuse to add a little to their cost so they aren't plain more efficient than the existing options.

PvK