Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 18th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Off shore call center workers mad at American

Quote:
STAFF AT Indian call centres dealing with Americans are getting more angry at some callers' rude, backward, stupid and bigoted comments.
A collective for Indian workers, formed by Vinod Shetty, a Bombay lawyer, said that most of the Americans seemed to have chip on their shoulder about outsourcing and vented their insecurities on call centre staff.
Story
Main Article

Original Story

Perhaps, if they were able to speak understandable English and had a working knowledge of the product in question, we wouldn’t be so rude.
I recently placed a call for some support on a name brand VPN appliance. I had unlimited free support and timed paid support. I called the free support on what I figured was an easy question. All I wanted to do was add a port to UDP so that I could connect some users that could not use the standard port because of local firewall restrictions. I’ve done it lots of time with another vendor, but they don’t use a webserver interface. You just type in the commands and the write it. With this system you could only make changes by selecting from the menus.
I started by explaining what I needed to do, and ask how to get to a command line and what to enter when I got there. After 40 minutes, mostly translation problems, the girl kicks me to level two. I wait almost half an hour and the go through the whole thing again. After about 15 minutes of discussion, I get kicked to level three. They come right on the line, and I go through the whole thing again. I spend over an hour with this guy, and have to repeat almost everything I say twice. Finally he says that it can’t be done on this model. I hang up and call my sales rep to lay into him about why he sold me this system that did not meet the bid specks. Most of you guys know me; he was about to have a bad day. Of course, I get voice mail. When he calls me back, he assures me that the OS is writable and gives me some free time with paid support. I then call the paid support number, and get the same guy that I had the day before as tier three free support. He doesn’t even remember the call until I give him the service request number! During this conversation he admits that he has never seen the appliance and has not had time to read the material that the manufacture sent out on it. He wants me to call him back in a few days, or because this is paid support, he can kick me up another level. Well heck, I’m well and truly bent over, so I say “kick me”. Now I get to speak to a lady in Europe (Where the product is made) and she says no problem. She gives me an address to type into my browser and that takes me to a command line. Then she tells me what to enter and how to write it. So after spending hours talking to India, I get my problem fixed in 10 minutes by someone who knows the product. Speaks English as a second language, but does it well. And never said “what you say” once during the whole conversation. So, yes I agree with the article above, the Indians are mistreated by American customers. But perhaps if they knew WTF they were supporting and how to answer basic questions, in understandable English we (I) would have a little more respect for them. It has gotten to the point where the location of help support is becoming an important factor as to where I buy equipment from. I don’t know how the rest of the world feels about it, but this American has a very low opinion for unqualified “experts” when seeking technical help. And I also feel that my time is far too scarce and much too valuable to be jerked off for hours at a time by some stupid subcontractor who probably doesn’t even completely understand what I’m saying. Unfortunately, this has become they way things are in this industry. And as long as these people are mistaken for knowledgeable technicians, my frustration will have to continue to be mistaken for rudeness.

Think about it
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

General Woundwort is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Off shore call center workers mad at Amer

Ah, the joys of globalization.
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Sergeant

Hunpecked is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Off shore call center workers mad at American

I agree with Thermodyne. As an American consumer I shouldn't have to call halfway around the world, only to find incompetent support personnel!

I'm sure there are plenty of incompetent support personnel available right here at home!!!
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Brigadier General

TerranC is on a distinguished road

I'd be more sympathetic to your plight if it wasn't for this:

http://angryasianman.com/Power99_Call_to_India.mp3

Download Sev Today! --- Download BOB and SOCk today too! --- Thanks to Fyron and Trooper for hosting.

Old November 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Off shore call center workers mad at American

As someone who has worked in customer support for almost ten years I can tell you that the problem you describe isn't really caused by the outsourcing. Language problems aside, you are likely to get the same level of non-support from a help-desk staffed by people right here in the good ole USA. It's a lack of training by the company, and understaffing caused by stetching too few people over too many product lines. It's difficult as hell for those first and second level people to really get proficcent with the products they are supporting, since they rarely if ever actually use them and only spend their days sitting at a desk taking calls. And when only metric your company judges your performance by is how quickly you answer the phone and the number of calls you take, you can see how actually helping the customer to resolve their problems gets lost in the shuffle.

At any rate, being rude with the person answering the phone isn't helpful. I'm sure given their preferance they would want to help you with your problem. It's not their fault they don't speak english fluently and aren't sufficently trained. They are just trying to earn a living like everybody else. Save your anger for the manufacturer that hired them for not supporting their product. Oh, and the telemarketers.
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

You should not apply for a job where you will have to converse with English speaking people constantly if you can not speak English very well. There are plenty of other ways to earn a living that do not depend on skills you do not have.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

I don't like outsourcing. However, even though I've received less-than-satisfactory assistance from some of my calls to India (or wherever), it's not the fault of the person on the other end of the phone. It's the fault of CEOs and American government (who pass laws in payment for campaign donations that favor offshoring). I might also point out that I've received less-than-satisfactory assistance from people who speak English as a first language.
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:16 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
You should not apply for a job where you will have to converse with English speaking people constantly if you can not speak English very well. There are plenty of other ways to earn a living that do not depend on skills you do not have.
Uh, really? You might say that here, but I'm not sure it's true in India. If jobs were that common over their I doubt that companies could save so much money by moving their support centers.

There's also the matter of what it means to speak acceptable english. If you have to work a little bit to understand their accent that doesn't mean they are illiterate boobs. A lot of Americans are pretty insular and lazy when it comes to that sort of thing.

But regardless even if jobs were plentiful, are you saying if a company wanted to hire you doing a nice comfortable job when your alternative is some kind of unplesant or maybe dangerous manual labor, and pay you better money than the hard job paid, you'd say "No, sorry, I just don't think I'm qualified."

I'm not saying outsourcing is a good thing. I work in support. Outsourcing means me losing my job some day. But I hate all outsourcing. Customer support started going in the crapper years ago when companies started marginalizing their support departments and farming it off to third party support companies. But nobody got upset when that third party company was hiring unskilled Americans, paying them substandard wages and giving thim insufficent training. It was only when they started hiring unskilled Indians, paying them substandard wages and giving them insuffiecent training that people noticed there was a problem.
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

My $.02 on this issue.

It doesn't matter where you live or what you do for work. If your job is to support / help people using verbal communication, you better be able to understand and be understood by the people you support.

How many job requirements incude "good verbal and written communication skills". Almost all?

If they cannot communicate effectively with the person they're supposed to be helping, all that happens is the customer frustration level goes up. And that doesn't have a lot to do with technical abilities. If you're supporting English speaking people (not just Americans now but English speaking people), you better be able to speak and understand English effectively.

What they're doing with or what they'd be doing without that job is irrelevant.

EDIT: Hey, I actually agree with Fyron.
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:52 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
You should not apply for a job where you will have to converse with English speaking people constantly if you can not speak English very well.
I agree.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )