World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:28 PM

Private

Din Ahmed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does anyone know who to disable the auto-difficulty

Quote:
Originally posted by Stone-D:
If "Enemy Resist All Modifier Per Level Added Amount" is 3, this means that at level 30 (where I ended the first time I played), enemies will resist 90% of all damage.
Are you certain about that? That can't be right... That would just make the game close to impossible the higher level you got. I can't believe Aaron would do that... I think. It just seems too drastic.

I thought by checking on the config files your max level is 22...?
Old December 3rd, 2003, 06:59 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
When I interviewed Aaron ( LINK ), he said that not only does experience level affect the opponents' abilities, but that the size and power of your own ship does as well.

quote:
AH: All of the ships and components in StarFury are dynamically scaled based on your character\ship. When new ships are created by the game, the strength of that ship is adjusted to match your relative strength. Also, the number of enemy forces you encounter are based on your level and the difficulty of the game. The higher the difficulty, the more ships that will be in an enemy group.

Anyone found a way to mod out the effect of the player's ship power on the enemies faced?

PvK

The tech level of enemy components is based on the tech level of components you can get. At higher difficulty settings the enemies get an extra %size and % resistance bonuses/penalties as well.
You can change the amounts per tech level (and maximum total) of each in enemies.txt

The relative tech level of stuff for you to buy is set in each store, while you can adjust enemy level offsets in the enemyGroups file.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:02 PM

Private

Stone-D is on a distinguished road

That's just the Last *predefined* level. Note the preceeding line in Main_CharacterStats:

code:
Experience Added Past Last Level := 200000
Number Of Experience Levels := 22
Experience For Level 1 := 0
Experience For Level 22 := 1000000

Using that, for level 23 you need 1,200,000 XP. For level 30 you need 2,600,000 XP. Wasn't difficult because I had browsed the datafiles before finishing the game and thought the Sithrak Dreadnoughts weren't included in the game... so... um, I modded them in. All over the place.

However, as I said, by level thirty the enemies were resisting 90% of all my 'special' damage... not sure about weapon damage. By 'special' I mean null-space, psychic and the amonkrie virus torps. Those weapons did next to no damage. Which sucked, even more so when you note that PD cannons only aim at one target at a time. I was getting 5+ null-space torps chucked at me on a regular basis.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:32 PM

Corporal

dHay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Stone-D:
However, as I said, by level thirty the enemies were resisting 90% of all my 'special' damage... not sure about weapon damage. By 'special' I mean null-space, psychic and the amonkrie virus torps. Those weapons did next to no damage. Which sucked, even more so when you note that PD cannons only aim at one target at a time. I was getting 5+ null-space torps chucked at me on a regular basis. [/QB]
Couldn't have been TOO bad, as you got to level 30 somehow...
Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:30 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Din Ahmed:
What the difference between ECM & Jammer? One gives you defense and the other reduces the enemy’s ability to target you (-XX Targeting or something in the description). If the enemy misses when he shoots those beam weapons at me, is it due to the Defense or unable to target (Jammer).
For one thing, you can have one of each on a ship - you can't have two ECM's or two jammers. Also, I might be misreading this, but the jammer ability description (-X *target* attack rating) seems to imply that it only works against the ship you're currently targeting, though I really have no way of testing that out (well I guess I could create a super jammer with -1000 target attack rating... )

Quote:
And while we are at it, what are the difference between Standard shields and Advance Phased Shields. They’re more expensive for the same amount of shielding but don't see any discernable difference.
Phased shields block phased polaron beams, and any weapons you mod that have the damage type "Normal Shield Piercing". Or at least they're supposed to - I'm not sure if the bug that prevented them from working was fixed yet. In any event, just like in SE4, all the shields on your ship have to be phased for the effect to work. Yeah, it's probably a waste, given the scarcity of phased weapons, but then you never know when you'll run into one of those PPB-armed pirates who effectively halves your hitpoints

Quote:
How can we make the beam weapons (for both enemies or mine) for accurate. Both of us miss soo bad that I simply just stick to Meson BLasters for the mean time.
Most (if not all) ships are equipped with Combat Sensors and ECM, so increasing the effectiveness of the CS or decreasing that of the ECM would do the trick... or I think you can add attack and defense bonuses or penalties to hulls, but that would require more modifications

[ December 03, 2003, 21:32: Message edited by: Ed Kolis ]
Old December 4th, 2003, 02:48 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
For one thing, you can have one of each on a ship - you can't have two ECM's or two jammers. Also, I might be misreading this, but the jammer ability description (-X *target* attack rating) seems to imply that it only works against the ship you're currently targeting, though I really have no way of testing that out (well I guess I could create a super jammer with -1000 target attack rating... )
After testing quite a bit, since I was using a smaller ship, putting Jammers rather than ECM saved me from getting shot from BEAM weapons the most. I believe all enemies are affected by the Jammer and not just your targeted enemy since I found that in a big fight 3 on 1. All of them missed me just as much.

Quote:
And while we are at it, what are the difference between Standard shields and Advance Phased Shields. They’re more expensive for the same amount of shielding but don't see any discernable difference.Phased shields block phased polaron beams, and any weapons you mod that have the damage type "Normal Shield Piercing". Or at least they're supposed to - I'm not sure if the bug that prevented them from working was fixed yet. In any event, just like in SE4, all the shields on your ship have to be phased for the effect to work. Yeah, it's probably a waste, given the scarcity of phased weapons, but then you never know when you'll run into one of those PPB-armed pirates who effectively halves your hitpoints
So phased shield block those shield piercing damage so it doens't get to the hull directly... Never really noticed that until you mentioned it.

Anyhow, about the torps, I found that even with 1 PD, I can sometimes shoot through multiple torps if they're coming from the same ship. Though I've yet to get 5 torps a coming...

About the Targetting computer & Combat sensor thing... Even with the best equipment and (I think high... )high Attack Stat about 25 I still miss with beam weapons. Its as if they can't hit the broad side of the barn ( relatively speaking).

[ December 04, 2003, 00:51: Message edited by: Din Ahmed ]
Old December 4th, 2003, 05:50 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally posted by dHay:
Couldn't have been TOO bad, as you got to level 30 somehow...
LOL, not too bad... but I was limited to the mundane weapons + tachyon. I was in a modded Fazrah Cruiser V. 800 speed, 1200 hull (used 980, stuck to 20t shields/armour). Two AP cannons front accompanied by two Antimatter Stream (modded AP for heavy mount and major whoopass on par with incinerator) and 4 (yes, four) tachyon cannons to the rear. Lots of wobbling.

I still died alot, because I had modded the dreadnoughts into the game proper, not just as an end game boss. Those turds are scary.
Old December 4th, 2003, 06:03 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Looks like the jammers are..not working consistantly. They certainly effect more than your target.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Private

What do you mean modded "Dreadnoughts" into the game? What class of ships are dreadnoughts anyway... End of Game Boss???? How did you enabled them or did you created one.

[ December 04, 2003, 12:34: Message edited by: Din Ahmed ]
Old December 4th, 2003, 06:30 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally posted by Din Ahmed:
What do you mean modded "Dreadnoughts" into the game? What class of ships are dreadnoughts anyway... End of Game Boss???? How did you enabled them or did you created one.
Erk. Sorry, keep forgetting some folks haven't finished the game. Its a small (as in, not very much of one) surprise for the Last mission. I would strongly suggest you finish the game once first before doing heavy modding like I did... kinda killed the ending for me, you see... not that there's much of one, but still.

If you're determined...

...then take a look at the sithrak section of the enemy purchase ships file in campaign three. Search for dreadnought. Check out those stats.

Nasty.