This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:03 AM

Sergeant

Iansidious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Starships...

I forgot one thing that all of you would agree on. Null space beats all torpedo's hands down .
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:11 AM

Captain

bearclaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Iansidious:
I forgot one thing that all of you would agree on. Null space beats all torpedo's hands down .
No arguments here. Love those things.
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:16 AM

Private

Longinus is on a distinguished road

Xiati Battleship III all the way... it has near 100% coverage.

I load it up with 2X Tachyon cannons, an ionic disperser, 4X toxic injectors, emissive armor.

Hell it's great slowing the enemy with the disperser and rough it up a bit with the tachyon cannons, then give it a final blow of 4X toxic injectors.
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Private

Simeron is on a distinguished road

Well, I suppose I'm wierd but I like the Abby Carrier simply because of the 500-600 extra tons and the fact that I rarely need more then the weapons it has on it to kill any ship in the game.

Simply put, I eat other ships in one volly of pychic flailers and Toxic injectors. I have Null cannons or Plasma on the front (Null) or side (Plasma) to fire first at longer range so the PDC shoot at that missle and the Tox missle gets through every time. Normally it takes 2 missle for a cruiser and below, 3 for a battleship or 2 missles and a twin burst of flailer.

I have yet to see any ship survive a full salvo from my carrier and I don't even use fighters. They seem like a waist of credits to me. Rather use the extra tonnage for defensive gear and repair bots.

Would be neat to be able to play against other players and test my config out. I'm currently level 32 gear and nothing can touch me. Even the null cannons do jack to me (minor damage that is fixed in 2-4 ticks).

I have to really say that I am convinced crew killing is the way to end an enemy ship's existance faster then any other. I never expect the plasma torps to hit, I only use them to pull the PDC fire for the Toxic Injectors. Then, flail away to end the battleship or larger, nothing below that survives the missles.

Base stations are boring as hell and I don't really count them. You simply pop a plasma out the tube, then the Null Cannons, watch all the PDCs fire at the plasma letting the NCs go into the ship and after 10-20 NCs, the station is blowing up...yawn.

Now, I want to clarify, I have only played the game on the hardest level without any mods and one thing I know from SEIV Gold is the MODS change things TREMENDOUSLY.

Which is why I am here today...hunting for mods..lol.

But I figured seeing how nobody has said they like the carriers, I would chime in.
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:47 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Hmm. You know it occurs to me bases in Starfury don't get the main advantage they do in SE4- mounts.

It'd be a lot harder to kill a base if the sucker was firing on you from more than your normal range with harder hitting weapons..

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:07 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

I think we could give them some other advantages, though. Increase the tonnage a bit and add more slots for armor and shields, for example. They are stationary, after all. What practical limits are there on the amount of 'stuff' you can pile in one location in space?
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:10 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Baron Munchausen:
I think we could give them some other advantages, though. Increase the tonnage a bit and add more slots for armor and shields, for example. They are stationary, after all. What practical limits are there on the amount of 'stuff' you can pile in one location in space?
Increasing armor and shields without increasing range or dealing with the level 1 weapons issue just means it takes the player longer to batter them down from complete safety.

Nothing in space is really stationary, you do need to station keep some. More importantly for a defense station as the size goes up the ratio of surface area to volume goes down. To a point this is a good thing but eventually you've got lots of volume that can't be used for putting things on the outside of the station- like armor or guns.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:18 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Possibly we should make some 'dedicated' weapons just for bases and setup specialized designs (you can see how to do it by the example of carriers in the default files). Shouldn't be too difficult. Just bulky, like the SE IV style of adding components with seperate entries. Hopefully there will be mounts in SE V at least.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Private

Simeron is on a distinguished road

Well, if my cloudy at 3am memory serves in the ancient Star Fleet Battles game there were special "base only" phaser 4s that were just ugly evil hit them from across the map hard weapons.

HUGE weapons (like 300kt) with HUGE range (like say 300) that did nasty damage (1.5 times normal weapon).

Now THAT would be a nasty base station.

The biggest yawn about the station was that I could park my ship out of its range and then kill at my liesure OR I could charge in and stop at point blank range and the weapons on the station quickly got wiped out.

Also, has anyone figured out how to get Sithrak Ships?
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:55 AM

Private

SamZaWild is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...What about fighters, i hear they are useless.What are their best kinds and what is the best cruiser ?

[ May 31, 2004, 10:56: Message edited by: SamZaWild ]